ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #61
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
What do you think about the 6sp? I'm thinking it'd be a good mod to help with some of the stuff we sometimes ride out here. I usually run a 13/49 which works well for Moab and the NM stuff except when I have to connect trails or ride back into town. If I could ride at 65 with the same RPM I'm currently riding at 55 it'd make the 300 a little more versatile to me.

I don't know if the 6sp will give you that, upper ratios aren't allot different, I probably just need to pickup a 450 or 525.
I gained cruise speed on top so I can run ~65 without getting buzzed to death. Some Flexx bars might help too. Having tighter ratios is nice...no big gaps like the XC/W had, so it was a good investment.

I'm running 13/51 at the moment; dropping a tooth in back might get me a bit more but I haven't had it on the trail yet.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #62
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,092
The KTM shop in Loveland recommended that I pick up another countershaft sprocket with one less tooth. The stock one is great for the track and the smaller is great for the trails.

I know that the chain wears faster with the smaller tooth but with my small amount of riding per year...that isn't going to be an issue long-term.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #63
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
The KTM shop in Loveland recommended that I pick up another countershaft sprocket with one less tooth. The stock one is great for the track and the smaller is great for the trails.

I know that the chain wears faster with the smaller tooth but with my small amount of riding per year...that isn't going to be an issue long-term.
I've heard with the Mule treatment you can get away with some crazy tall gearing.

Feathering the clutch seems to be pretty normal on the 300 and comes naturally after riding it awhile, I like the engagement, pretty linear and it's like a temporary instant downshift to pop you over an obsticle. I got a brand new autoclutch sitting on the bench, it works so well right now I'm hesatant to swap it in.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #64
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I've heard with the Mule treatment you can get away with some crazy tall gearing.

Feathering the clutch seems to be pretty normal on the 300 and comes naturally after riding it awhile, I like the engagement, pretty linear and it's like a temporary instant downshift to pop you over an obsticle. I got a brand new autoclutch sitting on the bench, it works so well right now I'm hesatant to swap it in.
The KTM 200 XC I bought from Don has the Slavens mule treatment and is geared crazy short...and has an autoclutch. Should climb a wall.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #65
thump_co OP
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,922
What a difference a day can make. Went back out yesterday for a good 4 hours and we're getting along much better now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mEE-knoLnY&hd=1

It's still a little jumpy on the climbs but I talked to the PO and found out it has the red spring in (and the preload nut flush). He's going to dig out the yellow and green for me, but he's betting based on his experience that I'll want to switch back to red within a month. I will say, when that thing hits, it hits hard. Right around 5m30s & 6m20s you can see me just getting into it a bit. I think half the technique is just "go fast".

Even with the red spring in, the very first climb yesterday went significantly better. It seems my brain rewired itself with my clutch hand. Combining that with a new MT43 on the rear, I'm feeling like I'll get the rest of the climbing dialed back in. It's also running 13/50 now so I have a couple teeth I could drop.

Once it started coming together it felt like magic. The bike is so friggin light you can pick all kinds of goofy lines. I started looking for little stuff to jump and even with a total lack of winter conditioning I didn't want to stop all day. I ended up looping everything (except Spruce) several times and coming down in the dark.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #66
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post

Once it started coming together it felt like magic. The bike is so friggin light you can pick all kinds of goofy lines. I started looking for little stuff to jump and even with a total lack of winter conditioning I didn't want to stop all day. I ended up looping everything (except Spruce) several times and coming down in the dark.
So...... Are you gonna change your handle to ringding_co now?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #67
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
So...... Are you gonna change your handle to ringding_co now?
As long as I still have the 450 I get to keep it. When riding the 300 I'll be incognito.. like I'm on a spy bike.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #68
silverboy
Bunny

Oddometer: 544
I don't know dude, it sounds like a small child's toy!
Doesn't all that buzzing get annoying?

Steve Mcqueen
silverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #69
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Which cam chain tensioner are you putting on the 450?
Missed this earlier. Plain ole' mechanical. Mine's an 06, before all that hydraulic jazz. Unfortunately it seems the PO cross threaded the spring retainer cap last time it was apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboy View Post
I don't know dude, it sounds like a small child's toy!
Doesn't all that buzzing get annoying?
It rides like one too. A very fun child's toy.
Guess I'll just have to stay far enough ahead to not bother you with the noise

Old 03-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #70
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,277
I love my '09 300! Still!!!

I have done a few things to it that helped.

Knarly pipe
JD jetting kit
Tubliss "tubes"
Extra rear wheel with a trials tire mounted for easy swaps from knobs>trials
2 teeth up on the rear
Slavens suspension
Guts seat
Mapping switch on the bars
Recluse Core EXP
Clear tank (3.1?)
Scotts stabilizer

Maybe a few other things that I can't remember, like shark fins and stuff.

This bike will rip in the desert and climb technical stuff all day.

I really can't think of anything else that will do what all the 300 will.

This bike is known for it's stump pulling torque and ability to chug without stalling.
If your bike is not pulling like a train at low revs, it is probably jetting and not the PV setting.
Try setting the PV back to stock and work on the jetting before you go all crazy with the spings and pre-load.

The maintenance is practically non-existant. I have around 200 hours on mine and have changed the plug once. Still on the stock piston and it has plenty of compression and makes no noise, so I'm not worried about that either.

The idea of swapping in a 6 sp has my interest and may do that next year.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #71
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,319
I just put the Knarly on mine, I like the way it broadens the midrange, I'm shifting less now.

In the Dez the 13/50 pulls the sand great and also works well on tight ST but if it's open terrain or connecting trails I'm reachin for another gear allot of the time, doesn't help that I tend to ride it below the PB allot. Things seem to get a little crazy when ya start hitting the pipe hard

I've been running a 13/49, it's a little gappy in the sand but it pulls the long stretches without buzzin too bad. At $750 the 6sp might be nice, gives ya a little of both worlds.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #72
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I love my '09 300! Still!!!

I have done a few things to it that helped.

Knarly pipe
JD jetting kit
Tubliss "tubes"
Extra rear wheel with a trials tire mounted for easy swaps from knobs>trials
2 teeth up on the rear
Slavens suspension
Guts seat
Mapping switch on the bars
Recluse Core EXP
Clear tank (3.1?)
Scotts stabilizer

Maybe a few other things that I can't remember, like shark fins and stuff.

This bike will rip in the desert and climb technical stuff all day.

I really can't think of anything else that will do what all the 300 will.

This bike is known for it's stump pulling torque and ability to chug without stalling.
If your bike is not pulling like a train at low revs, it is probably jetting and not the PV setting.
Try setting the PV back to stock and work on the jetting before you go all crazy with the spings and pre-load.

The maintenance is practically non-existant. I have around 200 hours on mine and have changed the plug once. Still on the stock piston and it has plenty of compression and makes no noise, so I'm not worried about that either.

The idea of swapping in a 6 sp has my interest and may do that next year.
You might want to start thinking about a fresh piston for peace of mind. KTM has a slightly oversize piston that folks typically put in on the first rebuild.

Another good upgrade on older 300's: VForce reeds. I believe that KTM puts these in new 2-strokes now. Older models have the reeds superceded with VForce.

Inspect reeds regularly and replace pedals whenever you are doing the top end.

The DR is now off the bike bench. The 300 gets torn down this weekend. 350 hours. Time for a new piston, replace the Rekluse throw out bearing & thrust plate, new reeds.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #73
thump_co OP
..ouch

Quote:
Another good upgrade on older 300's: VForce reeds. I believe that KTM puts these in new 2-strokes now. Older models have the reeds superceded with VForce.
I think the 09's have the VForce. At least mine has VFORCE3 printed on it.. don't think it was a PO upgrade.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #74
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
I think the 09's have the VForce. At least mine has VFORCE3 printed on it.. don't think it was a PO upgrade.
My '06 didn't, but the factory part was superceded with a VForce by '08.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #75
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,912
My 07 has the V force reeds, I think that they came stock.

And I now have every thing Gordy's has as well. Love it.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote