User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Marsh Tiger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Unleashing the HO-CAT

It all started so innocently, as it usually does.

Someone casually asked the question at the last dinner,

"So, are we going to ride on Sunday?"

Now, I know better than to speak up [volunteer], but I did... "I've been working on this fun route", I said. "It's a mixture of dirt roads and quiet, country paved roads. Forty percent dirt, maybe fifty-fifty..."

And just like that a plan was hatched. And I volunteered to lead it...

I've been working on some sort of route for a few months now, maybe four or five. I had ridden all over the place looking for dirt roads. And had cataloged what I found. Then, one day, I found myself in possession of a GPS...

Scrolling through the software I realized that I could make one hell of a duel sport loop with the roads I had found. I finished it the night before the ride...

...and I SWEAR I really believed that it was only 40 or maybe 50% dirt.

UNLEASH THE HO-CAT

(CLICK for a link to the .gpx)

Marsh Tiger screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 06:05 PM
Marsh Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Marsh Tiger OP
Studly Adventurer

and so it was done...

The Heart of Colleton Adventure Trail was born! (Ho-Cat sounds better though)

Eight inmates were foolish enough to follow me. All brave and honorable men. (especially the two on street bikes!)
Here we are just minuets before the beginning of the end.

We stopped for a group grab of the local tag. We encountered some mud on the way here. Everybody survived it though. (anybody got a pict of the mud?)

Here we are, about 2 hours in. (the street bike crew (Still very much intact and energetic) wasn't too far behind. I think they stopped to investigate some strange tracks in the road or something)

Lunch break about 3 hours (85 miles) in... This is about the time we realized that my innocent route was almost entirely dirt roads. I caught a little hell from the street bike crew over this.

(I wonder if it was the mud or the flooded road that pissed them off? )

After lunch about half the herd fled... Something about expired kitchen passes and needing to get home... I understand, I answer to an authority that administers kitchen passes too. (and wouldn't have it any other way)

But you missed the most graceful get off ever... ( I needed a siesta anyway.)

Here's the Tiger resting in a ditch.

Seriously, I had a great time. It was a pleasure to ride with Y'all and again, apologies to the street bike crew! You are brave souls, with impressive riding skills. I look forward to the next ride!

HO-CAT Specs:

Dirt: most of it (80-90%)
Paved: too much, but fun anyway.
Miles: 148
Time: 5.5 hours

Marsh Tiger screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 06:13 PM
Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Thanks for the ride Marsh Tiger! It was a great day for a ride, just wished the bike and I could shed 20-30% of our weights, Glad there was such a big turn-out.

Well, the camera mount I put together when the Bandit was naked was put back on Saturday night, but wish I had thought of removing the windshield. Since most of the videos taken were through the windshield, things are a bit blurry and there is a bug splat I must have picked up early on and never noticed. Always room for improvement.

Intro

This video shows the worst sections of clay I encountered that day. Not rough or terribly uneven, but super slick. First part at 0:32 and second at 1:20

The most scenic of the videos. Beautiful canopies.

I think was the most fun little section, that only Kalonji and I experienced. The group had taken a turn-off and we had to backtrack and search for clues. Luckily, Blk-betty left some for our tracking skills to hunt for.

One of my most common sights of the day: Fiend stoically standing up for long periods of time. I wish I knew we were coming up on a water crossing at the end of this video. I wouldn't have stopped it there, but I only missed 5-10 seconds of Marsh Tiger and Blk-betty enthusiastically storming this puddle.

The next 3 videos were shot as one. For some reason, my camera split it into 3 short clips, so I apologize. If I had a way, I would mesh these 3 and the previous into one.

This video is a showcase of Kalonji's off-roading prowess

And the second water crossing of the day. I wish I had gotten closer to get better shots. Oh well. StolenFant was the star of this video

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,159
90% dirt! That is my kind of ride. Kalonji & Draechon, y'all are maniacs. I enjoyed the ride report and photos, Marsh Tiger, and the videos, Draechon.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Well, guess this could make things more handy, all in one playlist for your viewing pleasure:

I just removed the windshield on the black Bandit. Quality test:

Draechon screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 02:09 PM
Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Put Kalonji and Draechon on dual sports and this would have been a 4 hour ride... well if the rest of us could keep up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
The Heart of Colleton Adventure Trail was born! (Ho-Cat sounds better though)

Eight inmates were foolish enough to follow me. All brave and honorable men. (especially the two on street bikes!)
Here we are just minuets before the beginning of the end.

We stopped for a group grab of the local tag. We encountered some mud on the way here. Everybody survived it though. (anybody got a pict of the mud?)

Here we are, about 2 hours in. (the street bike crew (Still very much intact and energetic) wasn't too far behind. I think they stopped to investigate some strange tracks in the road or something)

Lunch break about 3 hours (85 miles) in... This is about the time we realized that my innocent route was almost entirely dirt roads. I caught a little hell from the street bike crew over this.

(I wonder if it was the mud or the flooded road that pissed them off? )

After lunch about half the herd fled... Something about expired kitchen passes and needing to get home... I understand, I answer to an authority that administers kitchen passes too. (and wouldn't have it any other way)

But you missed the most graceful get off ever... ( I needed a siesta anyway.)

Here's the Tiger resting in a ditch.

Seriously, I had a great time. It was a pleasure to ride with Y'all and again, apologies to the street bike crew! You are brave souls, with impressive riding skills. I look forward to the next ride!

HO-CAT Specs:

Dirt: most of it (80-90%)
Paved: too much, but fun anyway.
Miles: 148
Time: 5.5 hours
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,743
Keith, looks better w/o the shield. Thanks for the video documenting. I know where you live now. Tag to follow. J/k.
kalonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Marsh Tiger OP
Studly Adventurer

looks good Keith. I guess you'll want to come back out and film the entire loop now? I need to take some more pictures of the loop, so I guess I'll join you.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #9
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,855
This looks awesome. I wish I could have made it.
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Marsh Tiger OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycek5 View Post
This looks awesome. I wish I could have made it.

It was awesome! Let me know when you can get down for a ride.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Marsh Tiger OP
Studly Adventurer

Update:

I've added two new files to the Ho-Cat gps thread. One will bring you back to 'tha Boro' for lunch or what ever. The other will help you find your way back to Charleston.

Enjoy it if you ride it and post some pictures here to prove it if you do!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

MEOW HO-CAT Connector

I've mapped out a connector which has a good bit of dirt to the HO-CAT for folks coming from the north, for shouldn't getting to the HO-CAT be an adventure too? I first came up with the HOO-DAT (Heart Of Orangeburg & Dorchester Adventure Trail), but that is too copyCAT, n'est-ce pas? So I guess the MEOW will have to do (Mid-Eastern Orangeburg Way). I want to ride it this weekend before posting a GPX file. The best part of it goes thru a Westvaco parcel and I want to check on the status of the gates. The Google van made it through a portion of that section, though. Even if the gates are shut there are two easy detours around it, but I hope they're open.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Marsh Tiger OP
Studly Adventurer

Midlands-Ho!

Great work Laura! Where will it intersect the HO-CAT?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Tiger View Post
Great work Laura! Where will it intersect the HO-CAT?
Midlands-HO! I'm not quite sure how to take that! j/k

The MEOW intersects the HO-CAT at the corner of Sidney's Rd. and Round O Rd.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Marsh Tiger OP
Studly Adventurer

I was thinking it would be cool to travel from Columbia to Walterboro on dirt roads...