ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #1501
rdnman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I replaced mine with 3000 miles on the bike.
It was broken, but did not cause any damage.
The spring was still intact.
I think when the spring breaks, it causes the most damage.
Even though my lever was broken, it was still in the same location.
Maybe I got lucky?
I thought it was better to spend about $100 for doohickey parts then have to do hundreds of dollars of engine work.
Mind you, the 2008 KLR bikes had an improved doohickey put in.
Mine is on a 1999 KLR.
Who's did you purchase? any better than others?
rdnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #1502
RandoCommando
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnman View Post
Who's did you purchase? any better than others?
My replacement doohickey kit came from Happy Trails.
It was the EagleMike kit.
You can order direct from EagleMike.
http://www.eaglemike.com/
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #1503
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sparkymcgee's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California
Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
My 08 was fine with oil the first 4000 miles. I was always checking it and it was always fine. I was running Rotella in it since day one. I got too lax on my oil checks because it was never low until Friday when I pull off the exit to my house and hear a loud ticking. It was low on oil and cooked the exhaust journal. I guess it takes the breaking in before it starts to really burn oil. Mine has 5000 miles and is in pieces in my back yard right now.
Your story is what made me freak out and check it when I normally wouldn't. So thanks. It doesn't make any weird noises, so hopefully it is ok.
__________________
2008 VFR800
2012 Super Ténéré
sparkymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #1504
rdnman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I used 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
I used 23 gallons of water in the plastic tub to submerge the tank as best as possible.
Getting air out of the tank while it's upside down in the tub was a PITA, but I think I got it all out.
This tank will be stored as a back up tank in case I damage mine.
Either that, or I'll sell it.
I'm wondering if the screw holes will need to be re-tapped after this is done.

The holes looked pretty crusty. If a screw holds don't touch them. If not try a heli-coil. My original 87 klr was on it's third tank because the rear mount broke and it would leak gas. It had 16000 on it when I sold it. I brazed the mounting bracket and to my knowledge it never broke again. If I wanted to preserve my tank I would get a plastic one and save the original.
rdnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #1505
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnman View Post
Has anyone actually had a problem with the stock Doo hickey??
Very many, me included. It is rare it causes catastrophic failure, but it does happen. Is it worth risking a total engine lock up at 60 MPH? Easy, cheap job. Just do the doo.
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #1506
two trackin fool
Scott
 
two trackin fool's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan's Thumb
Oddometer: 1,182
Did mine ! She's a 2009
Doohicki was fine at 5000miles but the spring was just sitting there not doing a dam thing !

Your choice . To me, I ride all over - It's cheep Insurence .
two trackin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #1507
innathyzit
AKA Woodman
 
innathyzit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nelson NZ
Oddometer: 857
my doo spring was broken and just hanging there at about 18000kmsish.

Was quiet etc but the internet said i should replace it so of course i did because it was on the internet.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #1508
R Brown
KLRider
 
R Brown's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: South East Tennessee
Oddometer: 55
Re: Checking or replacing the Doo hickey

I ordered a kit with the torsion spring from Eagle Mike to have on hand. I checked mine at 1,700 miles while at a tech day with Lt. Dan at GSM Moto Rent. I adjusted it. After that first adjustment, the spring was slack and would not have adjusted anymore. Instead of pulling it down later, I went ahead and replaced it with the one from E.M. Glad I did.
__________________
2010 Ebony KLR 650
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #1509
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I used 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.
I used 23 gallons of water in the plastic tub to submerge the tank as best as possible.
Getting air out of the tank while it's upside down in the tub was a PITA, but I think I got it all out.
This tank will be stored as a back up tank in case I damage mine.
Either that, or I'll sell it.
I'm wondering if the screw holes will need to be re-tapped after this is done.
Having spent many years taking on old bike projects, dealing with a rusty tank is pretty much the norm. I've used your method many times but about 10yrs ago I used a kit from POR15. Its their motorcycle tank repair kit. And unlike Kreem their product has lasted for many years after treatment. Key with any product like this is to follow the instructions EXACTLY. If it says roll the tank for 20 min it doesn't mean to take a 5 min break during...roll for 20 min.

You're tank in my opinion is in great shape. Personally, I'd still pick up the POR15 product. As for threads...yes, run a tap through it. For drying I tape a hair dryer to the inlet. The KLR tank has some deep recesses that take a while to dry out. Good luck!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #1510
RandoCommando
Wannabe
 
RandoCommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Philthadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Having spent many years taking on old bike projects, dealing with a rusty tank is pretty much the norm. I've used your method many times but about 10yrs ago I used a kit from POR15. Its their motorcycle tank repair kit. And unlike Kreem their product has lasted for many years after treatment. Key with any product like this is to follow the instructions EXACTLY. If it says roll the tank for 20 min it doesn't mean to take a 5 min break during...roll for 20 min.

You're tank in my opinion is in great shape. Personally, I'd still pick up the POR15 product. As for threads...yes, run a tap through it. For drying I tape a hair dryer to the inlet. The KLR tank has some deep recesses that take a while to dry out. Good luck!
Thanks Aprilia!
Yeah. The tank is in great shape compared to most, if not all of the rusty tanks I saw on YouTube videos.
Can I buy POR15 at a local store? Or is it something I have to order off the net?
I want to protect this tank for future use by me or someone else.
After all, aside from a few scratches, this tank is in great shape.
No dents or dings anywhere.
If it wasn't for the scratches, it would look new.
Even the paint is nice on it.

When I pull the tank out of the tub later, I'm going to see how the threads are for the petcock.
If they need to be tapped, I'll go buy a one size bigger tap, and new screws for it.
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #1511
IDRIDR
Take me to the River
 
IDRIDR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnman View Post
Has anyone actually had a problem with the stock Doo hickey??
I attended a doo tech day a few months ago. About 12 to 15 bikes there. One of the group had a broken doo spring. We installed the Eagle Mike product to replace stock ones.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #1512
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Thanks Aprilia!
Yeah. The tank is in great shape compared to most, if not all of the rusty tanks I saw on YouTube videos.
Can I buy POR15 at a local store? Or is it something I have to order off the net?
I want to protect this tank for future use by me or someone else.
After all, aside from a few scratches, this tank is in great shape.
No dents or dings anywhere.
If it wasn't for the scratches, it would look new.
Even the paint is nice on it.

When I pull the tank out of the tub later, I'm going to see how the threads are for the petcock.
If they need to be tapped, I'll go buy a one size bigger tap, and new screws for it.
My local Auto Paint supplier keeps the kit in stock but plenty offer it online. Even Amazon carries it... POR15 KIT

Why tap to larger size? I'd re-tap current threads regardless. Once done you can quickly determine their condition. In my experience the treads will be just fine.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #1513
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nitro1970's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunghole View Post
2011 klr w 3300 miles

I never had any oil burning issues when I was using Rotella 15 40. When I switched to Mobile 4T 10 40 at 2500 miles, I burned a qt in 800 miles. Any thoughts?
When I used Valvoline 20w-50 in my '11 it would use/burn oil like crazy (with around 3K miles on the bike). After and oil change I could ride a hundred miles or so i'd have to add so I didn't plan on getting to far from some place I could buy oil. Pissed off I was! Switched to Rotella T and haven't had issues since. I may have to add just a little at the 1200-1500 mile mark with aggressive riding but nothing like the Valvoline. Next oil change is coming due and thinking on giving the plain jane Castrol GTX 10w-40 a try.
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #1514
nakedwaterskier
Gnarly Adventurer
 
nakedwaterskier's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Oddometer: 263
Has anyone actually had a problem with the stock Doo hickey??

Yes...But, when I had my doohickey side blow up it was caused by the heavy counterweights
wearing out the bearings. I had done the upgrade.

If I went into this topic any further, I might start criticizing another forum.
nakedwaterskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #1515
redog1
KLR650-2009
 
redog1's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Magalia, CA./ Butte & Siskiyou C.
Oddometer: 1,769
+1 same with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post
Did mine ! She's a 2009
Doohicki was fine at 5000miles but the spring was just sitting there not doing a dam thing !

Your choice . To me, I ride all over - It's cheep Insurence .
Did mine at 12K and had the same situation, no tension at all on the spring.
__________________
No, I don't know where that road goes, let's find out!
redog1
redog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014