Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #1546
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
My wife wants to ride her Raptor 350 in Colorado this summer { we have done that a lot and it's fun!} She won't ride with me to Whitehorse on the Tenere, she says there is too many Bears up there.
She may have a good point.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #1547
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Personally I would think that Mexico would be more dangerous
eemsreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #1548
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Eek Otoh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Personally I would think that Mexico would be more dangerous

Or L.A., Detroit, Chicago, New York City, Washington D.C., Miami, Houston, etc., etc.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #1549
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
She may have a good point.

Pluric ,your picts remind me of when the wife & I were stopped in a line of traffic in Yellowstone on our way to Bear Tooth Pass in Montana .Everybody was watching bears close to the road. The big black varmints came right up to our bike & I was too close to cars,both front & back to get out of there. Glad they didn't think of us as M&Ms. Something to think about,anyway. Then there was the time in S Dakota I was going about 30MPH with a big herd of buffalo running along side within 30 feet of us. Was ready to stomp that throttle hard. Lottsa fun.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #1550
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
Pluric ,your picts remind me of when the wife & I were stopped in a line of traffic in Yellowstone on our way to Bear Tooth Pass in Montana .Everybody was watching bears close to the road. The big black varmints came right up to our bike & I was too close to cars,both front & back to get out of there. Glad they didn't think of us as M&Ms. Something to think about,anyway. Then there was the time in S Dakota I was going about 30MPH with a big herd of buffalo running along side within 30 feet of us. Was ready to stomp that throttle hard. Lottsa fun.
I wish this was a little more focused. It was our first bear sighting on an Alaska ride.
It was on the other side of the road and decided to cross the street right in front of
my buddy. I could see his panic look in his mirror as I rushed to get a camera out.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #1551
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Heck Pluric, That bear's just a teeny little shit. My cat could whomp that pigmy. We ferried to the Queen Charlotte Islands off the BC-Alaska coast on a bike ride to Alaska once. Biggest black bears on earth, they say. They were huge. A REALLY neat place. Laid back as my easy chair. Gorgeous too.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #1552
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,102
My wife likes bears (to take pictures of) but she will not go with me to White Horse. I don't mind them while I am riding, but camping is another thing. We got some very good pics of bears in Yellowstone, but they went with my last harddrive failure.

Update: found him, USB backup drive.

llamapacker screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 02:28 PM
llamapacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #1553
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Heck Pluric, That bear's just a teeny little shit. My cat could whomp that pigmy. We ferried to the Queen Charlotte Islands off the BC-Alaska coast on a bike ride to Alaska once. Biggest black bears on earth, they say. They were huge. A REALLY neat place. Laid back as my easy chair. Gorgeous too.

What, are you from Texas??? Everything is bigger in your world.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #1554
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

hay Pluric, I been around little bears and HUGE bears. Used to carry a couple rifled slugs for my shotgun while bird hunting in the Canadian woods.Lots of black bears,some with cubs.Never had to shoot one, thankfully. Got chased by a grizzly while fishing in the Northwest Territories once. I was drunk & stoopid(a usual state of being). LOTS of bears there. Not sure I'd camp in that area(we had rifles). Read about a guy who's BMW GS12 got beared while camping in Alaska. Seems he had cheese locked up in his Jesse bags(metal). A grizz wrecked the bike trying to get at that cheese. Destroyed it. Cheese was safe tho. Bears are serious business.

roarin calhoun screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 03:16 PM
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #1555
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Something for riding in bear country...

~

Hey, if you're gonna' go riding - and camping - on your bike in bear country... Here's the perfect companion to have in your side cases!

It's called the "Alaskan Co-Pilot" by Wild West Guns in Anchorage, AK (they also have a shop in Las Vegas, NV).

http://wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

It's available chambered in several calibers, including .45-70, .457 WW Magnum, and their own .50 Alaskan cartridge, which can send a pretty large pill - a 500-grain .50 caliber bullet - downrange at up to 2050 FPS, giving an impact energy of 4200 foot pounds...

And it packs down to a case only 21" x 9" x 2"! Perfect for a set of Jesse bags!

You can get it with all sorts of options, finishes, sights, etc. Just what you need for a trip through the woods!

Dallara

~

~

Dallara screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 04:36 PM
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #1556
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

Hey, if you're gonna' go riding - and camping - on your bike in bear country... Here's the perfect companion to have in your side cases!

It's called the "Alaskan Co-Pilot" by Wild West Guns in Achorage, AK (they also have a shop in Las Vegas, NV).

http://wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

It's available chambered in several calibers, including .45-70, .457 WW Magnum, and their own .50 Alaskan cartridge, which can send a pretty large pill - a 500-grain .50 caliber bullet - downrange at up to 2050 FPS, giving an impact energy of 4200 foot pounds...

And it packs down to a case only 21" x 9" x 2"! Perfect for a set of Jesse bags!

You can et it with all sorts of options, finishes, sights, etc. Just what you need for a trip through the woods!

Dallara

~
Wow. Never heard of that.Lottsa power. Bet it costs more than a BMW (gun probably works tho). Think I'd trade the scope for a bayonet tho.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #1557
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh It's all relative...

Quote:
Wow. Never heard of that.Lottsa power. Bet it costs more than a BMW (gun probably works tho). Think I'd trade the scope for a bayonet tho.

Check out the link. The price is not as bad as you might think if you skip a bunch of options, and especially so if you've got an old Marlin 1895 laying around. I've seen exhaust systems, shocks, and all sorts of motorsicle accessories cost more...

And it's a lot more useful than the latest, trickest Ohlins around bears...

And you're a braver man than I if you're gonna' let a bear get close enough for bayonet work!!!

Dallara

p.s. - a friend of mine has one in .45-70, and it is truly one beautiful piece of kit... Remarkably compact, wonderfully finished, and functions smoother than butter. Unfortunately I've never gotten a chance to shoot it.

~

~
Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #1558
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Durn Dolara,I'm seriously going to look at that gun. We do bike a lot in grizzly country. And you can't always control how close a bear gets to you,but if it does, a bayonet'd be better than a scope .Probably not by much. Wonder which tastes better to the bear? Condiments?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #1559
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~

It's called the "Alaskan Co-Pilot" by Wild West Guns in Achorage, AK (they also have a shop in Las Vegas, NV).

You can get it with all sorts of options, finishes, sights, etc. Just what you need for a trip through the woods!

Dallara

~
Let me know how the border crossing works out on that.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #1560
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Pluric, what's the minimum barrel length for Canada's border? That gun might make it. Maybe. Cost some money in fees tho. I'd take it to Montana & eastern Idaho,no sweat. Grizzly bears killed some folks over there last year and lots of great backroads go right thru bear country.