Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #2911
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
I rode a multi last night, Nice bike. Tons of power!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #2912
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
If you didn't get to ride it in the really twisties and for a long time, you probably weren't able to see what the Multi is all about.

I love my 950 SM, but I have ever been so impressed with a bike than I was with the Multistrada...great motor, come out of the turn with the front end very slightly off the ground, perfect balance ( due to the bike, not me), motor just keeps on pulling and pulling predictably, 7 hr riding days and no butt fatigue, wind protection was fine, slightly upright riding position was perfect.

Coming into downhill turns on Mt Palomar, the back end would naturally lighten as you brake, the slipper-type clutch would ensure the back end did not slide or chatter. Have never ridden anything so easy to ride hard.

KHVol screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 02:55 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #2913
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
DIY MTS1200 maintenance

Don't kid yourself about doing your own MTS1200 "major" (i.e. 15K mile) maintenance. I, too, was under the same illusion, but it ain't gonna happen. If I decide to keep my bike, I will spring for a dealer service contract.

I've got a total of 25,000 miles on two MTS1200S's, split about equally over the two bikes (totalled the first one). Both have proven to be extremely reliable, FWIW. It is a very impressive piece of hardware. Have done cross-country trips on the thing with great satisfaction.

--Doc

PS. If any MTS1200 owners have actually DONE the 15K mile maintenance, I'd like to hear about it. I've heard of nobody. Nada. I got as far as the airbox, then got stymied (see photo from my shop below).

1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #2914
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Don't kid yourself about doing your own MTS1200 "major" (i.e. 15K mile) maintenance. I, too, was under the same illusion, but it ain't gonna happen. If I decide to keep my bike, I will spring for a dealer service contract.

I've got a total of 25,000 miles on two MTS1200S's, split about equally over the two bikes (totalled the first one). Both have proven to be extremely reliable, FWIW. It is a very impressive piece of hardware. Have done cross-country trips on the thing with great satisfaction.

--Doc

Hey, Doc....let me know if you decide to sell your Multi ( and that recliner lo0ks pretty spiffy too )
Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #2915
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,167
Way to hang in there Doc. I gave up when it took dealer 3 wks and warranty to get the tank off.

Really did like the ride tho!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #2916
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Way to hang in there Doc. I gave up when it took dealer 3 wks and warranty to get the tank off.

Really did like the ride tho!
Hah! Shoulda brought it to my place. I can have the tank off in a couple hours.

After retirement from my professor job in May, I'm looking to do some serious cross-North America travel in the years ahead. Dunno if the MTS1200S is the bike to do it on...seems more track-day oriented. Although I have taken it cross-country...

Wish they'd make more bikes for "normal" sized people...all the "ADV-style" bikes I've test-ridden are too darn big. MTS is the best size, have to admit.

Decisions, decisions...maybe just go back to the '06 Uly. Although it DID strand me on FOUR consecutive rides a coupla years ago...

--Doc
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #2917
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
After retirement from my professor job in May, I'm looking to do some serious cross-North America travel in the years ahead. Dunno if the MTS1200S is the bike to do it on...seems more track-day oriented. Although I have taken it cross-country...

Wish they'd make more bikes for "normal" sized people...all the "ADV-style" bikes I've test-ridden are too darn big. MTS is the best size, have to admit.

--Doc
Here's the answer Doc. Cross country mile muncher, easy to swing a leg over, easy to service or have serviced pretty much anywhere, and per your other quibble w/ the MTS12, it even comes w/ cruise control standard:

And it's RED!

-SM

P.S. Congrats on the impending retirement! I wish you many miles of safe 2-wheeled travel in the years ahead.
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #2918
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:

--Doc

PS. If any MTS1200 owners have actually DONE the 15K mile maintenance, I'd like to hear about it. I've heard of nobody. Nada. I got as far as the airbox...
Just had my 15K m service done. Cost around $800.00. Didn't even think about doing this service myself either. Not enough time or patience.

Just had my 2nd replacement gas tank installed. Yep, you read that right, original tank replaced, replacement now replaced. All due to the interior rotating nuts. Terrible, absolutely terrible quality or design.

Glad I bought the extended warranty.

Heading out or town on it this thursday, probably big bend or the hill country.

Other the gas tank so far it has been really reliable. Great fit for me.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #2919
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Just had my 15K m service done. Cost around $800.00. Didn't even think about doing this service myself either. Not enough time or patience.

Just had my 2nd replacement gas tank installed. Yep, you read that right, original tank replaced, replacement now replaced. All due to the interior rotating nuts. Terrible, absolutely terrible quality or design.

Glad I bought the extended warranty.

Heading out or town on it this thursday, probably big bend or the hill country.

Other the gas tank so far it has been really reliable. Great fit for me.
Boy, that's an awfully "reasonable" price for the 15K service. First I've heard less than $1K. Sorry to hear about the tank; both my bikes have been fine in that regard although nobody ever wrenched on 'em except me.

Enjoying meeting you and your dad a while back; have a great trip wherever you go. If you come thru ABQ again let me know.

--Doc
Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #2920
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Hey, that's an OLD MAN'S BIKE! Just because I'm retired doesn't mean I have to sacrifice my favorite Ducati advertising slogan from the 90's:

SPEED, SOPHISTICATION, and STYLE!

Thanks for the kind wishes. Eight weeks and counting...

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Here's the answer Doc. Cross country mile muncher, easy to swing a leg over, easy to service or have serviced pretty much anywhere, and per your other quibble w/ the MTS12, it even comes w/ cruise control standard:

(hideous photo deleted...)

P.S. Congrats on the impending retirement! I wish you many miles of safe 2-wheeled travel in the years ahead.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #2921
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Boy, that's an awfully "reasonable" price for the 15K service. First I've heard less than $1K.

--Doc
That's about right Doc if the valves are in spec. No new shims = less cost (due to less time needed to shim/remeasure/shim/.....). Out of spec and I'm hearing about $1,000-1,200. Also, the newer desmos seem to need shims only every OTHER check, so if you're in spec at 15k, you'll likely need new shims at 30k. So, that averages out to about $1,000US every 15k miles, which matches my service costs on my BMW R12GS which was approx. $400 every 6k miles.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 03-19-2012 at 02:11 PM
Old 03-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #2922
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 431
Meet Angelica...

She's finally here. Thinking a SS1K or BBGold are in order for the break-in ride.

ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #2923
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
She's finally here. Thinking a SS1K or BBGold are in order for the break-in ride.
Congrats, but do NOT go out there and drone for 1000 miles to break her in. Get on the back roads and hammer up/down through the gears, lots of accel/decel to really slam the rings against that nice fresh hone to get a good fit and seal. I did that and mine hasn't used a teaspoon of oil in 10k miles, and it goes like a scalded cat. Power wheelies in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear with no problemo......

-SM
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #2924
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,410
Congrats, Zitful!

If you haven't ridden one, wait until you do.....it's almost like "cheating."
Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #2925
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post

You are absolutely freakin killing me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote