Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #1081
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
The "rumor" came from the fact that MOTUS repeatedly stated that the pricing would be "competitive with similar offerings from Ducati and BMW," hence the speculation that low to mid $20K would be reasonable to expect (and even generous, given the price of the Multistrada).
A mid-20 MSRP would be (relatively) resonable, if somewhat of a leap for a new and untested manufacturer.

$30 crosses a line where Panigale tri starts looking better and better, and its a MUCH safer bet that I will be able to be gouged for parts 7 years down the road....vice having to have things fabricated.

Its just too much. For any bike really, but particularly a company with no history.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #1082
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
You're wrong. The ST1300 has a very heavy emphasis on TOURING with very little sporting character. It's closer to a Gold Wing than it is to the Motus. If Honda makes anything remotely close to the MOTUS it is the VFR. While I'm sure it is a great motorcycle (haven't ridden one), I don't think anyone interested in the MOTUS will abandon it in favor of a VFR.
ST1300 engine...

With the windshield down I think it is pretty close to the same riding style as the Motus.

I bought a nice '99VFR with less than 5k miles last year, 2700.oo. Have a friend that bought a '03VFR 2400.oo.
One of the best sounding bikes for the money. How many more can I buy? Why check the valves anymore with these prices I can throw it aside for my parts bike and buy another.
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #1083
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,673
ST1300- 702lbs wet (heavy, real heavy)
VFR1200- 588 lbs dry (uncomfotable, no bags, short range)
Motus- 530 lbs wet
THAT'S why.

I was all in for up to $25k, but $30k is just beyond sane for this motorcycle.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #1084
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
$30 crosses a line where Panigale tri starts looking better and better, and its a MUCH safer bet that I will be able to be gouged for parts 7 years down the road....vice having to have things fabricated.
Sure, but who in their right mind would be choosing between a Motus and a Panigale tri on the basis of price?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #1085
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
ST1300- 702lbs wet (heavy, real heavy)
VFR1200- 588 lbs dry (uncomfotable, no bags, short range)
Motus- 530 lbs wet
THAT'S why.
Sure, but a Ducati Multistrada 1200 is 480 lbs. wet and with a full tank, ABS, traction control, electronic suspension - it handles like a superbike and goes like a bat out of hell.

You can get a loaded S, put a full system on it (save another 15lbs or so and get a sound that will give you permaboner), have ever more top spec components than the MTS R (not to mention much higher tech all around) and still spend $15k less...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #1086
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,695
Don't bring them down with pesky details.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #1087
ducatisarge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I was able to check out the Motus in the flesh a few weeks ago in Indy. They were showing it off at a local BMW/Triumph/Victory/Polaris shop which I think is now on the Motus dealer list. The bike itself is pretty neat and I wish them the best, but I can't see the value in it compared to less expensive, better spec'd bikes. I wanted it to have all the [what's becoming] standard tech on bikes these days such as ABS, Traction Control, etc. The biggest thing they keep pushing is 'Merica and the engine, but that's just not going to sell in this segment I'm afraid. Also at 6'+ the thing sat super low, like original naked SV650 low; I think even with a taller seat, it'll be cramped for those of long limb.

I did get a crappy iPhone video of it running though...
ducatisarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #1088
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,863
This offering is DOA. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #1089
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
now we look to the future -

"help me Eric Buell, you are my only hope"
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #1090
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Sure, but who in their right mind would be choosing between a Motus and a Panigale tri on the basis of price?
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #1091
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Sure, but a Ducati Multistrada 1200 is 480 lbs. wet and with a full tank, ABS, traction control, electronic suspension - it handles like a superbike and goes like a bat out of hell.

You can get a loaded S, put a full system on it (save another 15lbs or so and get a sound that will give you permaboner), have ever more top spec components than the MTS R (not to mention much higher tech all around) and still spend $15k less...
The specs I read has the Multistrada at the same wet weight as the motus. The bikes do offer similar features (longer range, good seat height, etc) and it is the only viable option for a decent Motus comparison as long as you ignore valve adjustments and typically high maint. cost. Since Motus will be selling at similar dealers I would suspect similar labor costs, but less required maint. Parts cost are still an unknown at this point. At this price level it is somewhat of a moot point.

Nothing else comes close.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #1092
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,648
After the first adj, Duc valve adjustments are every 15k miles iirc.

Thanks for the video of it running. The guy on it with the backward ball cap says it all.
Wonder if he has $37k for a bike.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #1093
ganze
apocalyptic defender

Oddometer: 484
after all this, I think if they offered a stripped down naked bike with decent but not statospheric spec for less, that it would be a little more likely to get traction in the market from all the tinkerers that just love the idea of the bike.

a naked hooligan styled bike is not synonymous with high tech offerings so lack of traction control isn't that much of a market loss. It would also be similar to other high end custom bikes that also do not have high tech as a major selling point.

After all this I still say they will make it. Stuff cost what it costs and I am sure they can't lose money on every motorcycle they sell to garner a segment of the market like Honda or some other big company might be able to do (I heard they did that back in the day with the rc51, but that's an urban myth.) They have to make their investors happy, and they think they can at this price point. They don't want to go under either.

if I remember, Ducati's used to be priced way above the competition back in the 80's and 90's, but my memory could be faded. And their product was to my young eyes inferior because it didn't have the highest hp or quickest 1/4 mile. How dumb I was to think that highest this and fastest that was the marker of a great bike....idiot young me. Anyway now they are almost competitively priced but it works because of the brand and quality they offer.

Give em a chance, it's their necks that are on the line and they have to decide what they think is best with their risky start-up. Start-ups most often fail: and it's especially hard to get a us based manufacturing company off the ground. This price point shows one of the reasons why it's hard.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #1094
apessino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The specs I read has the Multistrada at the same wet weight as the motus..
Not if the MTS is really 530 wet. The Multi is the lightest bike in its class and by a good margin - the 480 lbs. with a full 5.3 gallon tank is real, the bike is only 420 lbs. dry, fully loaded with all the options.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #1095
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
After the first adj, Duc valve adjustments are every 15k miles iirc.

Thanks for the video of it running. The guy on it with the backward ball cap says it all.
Wonder if he has $37k for a bike.
the Multistrada 1200 valve adjustments are at 15,000 mile intervals. My valves were in spec at 15,000 and required no adjustment. The other service (oil change) is at 7500 mile intervals.

The backward cap is a nice touch, way to get in touch with the target demographic
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote