Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #2191
FlyingPig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Just returned from an ADV get together that was out of cell range

The condensation is not normal. I recommend removing the sticker, remove the bezel (using a strap wrench) and inspect the orings in the light. Use some petroleum jelly to lube the orings, reinstall using the strap wrenchs. The condensation can be from a loose bezel, damaged or dried out oring etc.

Thanks for the response. Looks like I need to add a strap wrench to my toolkit. Just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be future warranty-related issues if I removed the sticker since those are usually put in place to prevent customers from tampering.

Also, interesting with the double o-rings. I was always under the impression that there should only be one mated to two surfaces, never to each other.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #2192
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle-jockey View Post
Yes, I'm using your dimmer. I'll post a pic up of them mounted tonight. They are on an ST1300 under the mirrors, just like on your site of the 1100.
I'll look for your pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
Thanks for the response. Looks like I need to add a strap wrench to my toolkit. Just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be future warranty-related issues if I removed the sticker since those are usually put in place to prevent customers from tampering.
No problem removing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
Also, interesting with the double o-rings. I was always under the impression that there should only be one mated to two surfaces, never to each other.
The oring on the body of the light seals the bezel/body and keeps stuff out of the threads. The oring in the bezel seal the lens/bezel. Kind of an oring sandwich, the two orings do not come in contact with each other.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #2193
Throttle-jockey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Here you go.
Throttle-jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #2194
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Crash bar mounts n lights from inmate islano

Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #2195
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Here you go.
It looks like you are really close to an optimal position. If you only need a few degres of movement, I would grab the light and gently bend the bracket. If you are more than a few degrees, I'd recommend unscrewing the heatsink and flipping the mount bracket 180 degrees.

Could you describe the flickering you are seeing with the lights? Does it happen with the high beam on?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #2196
Throttle-jockey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
It looks like you are really close to an optimal position. If you only need a few degres of movement, I would grab the light and gently bend the bracket. If you are more than a few degrees, I'd recommend unscrewing the heatsink and flipping the mount bracket 180 degrees.

Could you describe the flickering you are seeing with the lights? Does it happen with the high beam on?

The flickering happens when they are dimmed, kind of like a pulsing. It doesn't happen if they are almost full power. More on the left side which has longer wires going to it. (farther away from the dimmer)

Also is it normal to not be able to get full power using the dimmer unless you hit high beam?
Throttle-jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #2197
bandera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandera
Guys I could use some help.

Please call 954 993 5581 and we can walk through troubleshooting your install.
Good morning - I left 2 detailed messages but did not get a response.

By the way, I am helping another guy out at the K-Bike community with the exact same problem--switching on the lights throws an ABS Brake failure warning and knocks out his cruise control.

My next step is to take the advice of an inmate and completely isolate them from the bike. I hope this works because they go in the trash after that.
bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #2198
FlyingPig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
The flickering happens when they are dimmed, kind of like a pulsing. It doesn't happen if they are almost full power. More on the left side which has longer wires going to it. (farther away from the dimmer)

Also is it normal to not be able to get full power using the dimmer unless you hit high beam?
Interesting. I had the same effect with the flickering in one mode. But the dimmer I went with has 3 modes, so the flickering mode is now fully off just in case a LEO wants to give me grief for a non-DOT light
Old 03-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #2199
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Mine also flickered, for about 50 miles, then both lights turned off! Turned out the ground terminal had broken! Does sound like the same issue others are dealing with, but always worth a thought!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #2200
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
I have flickering too with the dimmmer on its lowest setting. This is especially apparent immediately after start-up - I am thinking low voltage

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #2201
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 313
Thumb

ordered @ 10:00pm last night -- shipped this morning.

Bokrijder
Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #2202
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Sanjoh

Possible to get a green lens for the helmet light ? I know, what will they ask for next.

Do have a good reason and with research others may find the same. My eyes are most sensitive to green light. I've done lots of experimenting with this - for me, green gives the best definition of fine detail.
White/blue for distance - green for closer detail. I'm not colorblind but red is a dud for my eyes.

Another step in fine tuning the bikes lighting.

Bokrijder
Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #2203
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Are you looking at the lights with an unaided eye? Typically any strobing or pulsing is not detecteable by the eye, however if you video the lights while dim, the strobing will show up.

Quote:
No, the dimmer should put out the same power as HBB. But is it really relevant since the idea of the dimmer is to do just that.

If you are unhappy with the dimmer, I will replace it, LMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandera View Post
My next step is to take the advice of an inmate and completely isolate them from the bike.
That should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
I have flickering too with the dimmmer on its lowest setting. This is especially apparent immediately after start-up - I am thinking low voltage
Just above off, the lights will flicker beacuase there is not enough current to drive them, you'd need an oscope to measure how little power is being supplied. The lights are not useful in this mode so turn em up and let others know you are there.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #2204
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokrijder View Post
Sanjoh

Possible to get a green lens for the helmet light ? I know, what will they ask for next.

Do have a good reason and with research others may find the same. My eyes are most sensitive to green light. I've done lots of experimenting with this - for me, green gives the best definition of fine detail.
White/blue for distance - green for closer detail. I'm not colorblind but red is a dud for my eyes.

Another step in fine tuning the bikes lighting.

Bokrijder
That's a tough one. What have you been using for your research? Perhaps it could be adapted to the helmet light?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #2205
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Quote:
That's a tough one. What have you been using for your research? Perhaps it could be adapted to the helmet light?
Existing headlamp units which can be electrically switched between normal white, green, and red. No detailed research, just experience using a LED headlamp with this feature --- night hiking, cross country etc. These colors are used to preserve night vision - red being traditional. I assume that was the reason for the earlier request for a red lens. Some folks, myself included, find green to be much more effective. The headlamp and the strap assembly move this lamp into another market. This is one kick-ass headlamp for the money.

Bokrijder