ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #46621
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
Looks like a fun riding, Rog...
Moto Supreme...it's just some farmers very hilly land that he turn into off-road park. Free and open to everyone too. He takes care of the trails just as a hobby since he retired. Pretty cool place.
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #46622
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
they talk about a modification for guys with bad knees and/or long legs, which is to raise your foot off the peg, and push your knee forward along the tank (basically the same as leg-forward but with your foot curled under).

That's what I do on turns that require lots of lean angle or have a high inside like an off-camber. Battlesburg has a lot of these turns

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:25 AM   #46623
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
I was very surprised to see the Moto GP guys occasionally touch a foot down, seems like it was usually on very hard acceleration coming out of slow corners. The deal seemed to be the Moto GP bikes are just so squirrelly in some situations, that they just need to right the ship. I can't remember for sure but it seems to me like it was usually the outside foot, (right hand turn, left foot touches.)
Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #46624
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid dadas View Post
I was very surprised to see the Moto GP guys occasionally touch a foot down, seems like it was usually on very hard acceleration coming out of slow corners. The deal seemed to be the Moto GP bikes are just so squirrelly in some situations, that they just need to right the ship. I can't remember for sure but it seems to me like it was usually the outside foot, (right hand turn, left foot touches.)
I've seen the Doctor do that a lot...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #46625
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,682
The GP guys do it coming into a turn. Puts more weight on the front wheel and also distracts any riders thinking about an inside pass.
z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #46626
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

If you watch those GP guys, they are even using their right braking foot and using 100% front brake unless there is a splitter in the line some place.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #46627
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Talking

If you want to really learn to slide a bike....need to try riding on ice. Loose pea gravel is the next best choice IMO.

Since this applies to flat track style riding...probably doesn't apply to anything else

When you carry enough speed into a corner, you want the bike to go into a 2 wheel drift. Some of the Moto GP and superbike guys are doing that on asphalt

As the bike goes into a 2 wheel drift, lean into the corner - a lot, use the outside leg to push down on the peg, inside leg needs to be planted firmly, and lift up on the inside bar as you turn on the power. You should be in a full slide at that point. As speed scrubs off, lifting up on the inside bar will get the front wheel to start to bite again. When you get it right, for a brief period, your inside leg and inside arm will be doing A LOT of work. As the front tire starts to bite and the power at the rear starts to hook up again, you will feel the weight on your inside leg drop off.....time to put it back on the peg and keep dialing on power......

If you are carrying enough speed through a corner....as the rear starts driving, you can actually get to a point where the front wheel is not in contact with the ground, both feet are up, and the bike is still a bit sideways. About as much fun as you can have on a motorcycle and DAMN hard to get to that point skill wise. But it is worth it

If you spend a day riding on ice/pea gravel and practicing your slides.....when you are done, your left leg and arm will be sore.....

Just describing a good slide makes me miss that type of riding......been a while...damn
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 AM   #46628
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
..as the rear starts driving, you can actually get to a point where the front wheel is not in contact with the ground, both feet are up, and the bike is still a bit sideways.

Did that to a kid Sunday while passing him on the inside, freaked him out enough he swerved off and slowed. I guess i was crowding his space.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #46629
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,704
I miss drifting too. We used to go on a horse racetrack (Ascot). That soft dirt was the best thing to fall in.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #46630
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 844
Xt 225

So I think I've reached maximum frustration with my current stable. The CRF is going to be ridiculously expensive to get a front wheel/tire combo for and she's still HEAVY. For now, it will be the road bike, but I'm betting I sell it before fall.

Any opinions on the XT225? I've only talked to raving fans. I'm looking for the downside to this bike. Obviously I will most likely want something more at some point, but I want something I can ride at Tar Hollow, Wayne, Danville and enjoy myself. The TTR, even if by some miracle I get it titled & road legal, is still just a 125 and I'm only going to want to trailer it places.

I need something I can actually ride somewhere to play. I found a cheap one for $1200 with only 1800 miles on it on CL.

In case you wondered:

TTR125 XT225 CRF230
Seat Height 31.7 31.9 31.7
Weight 172 238 276

KTM 250 XCF weighs in at just 220. Seat height of over 38". One other RFS has lowered hers 4". I might be able to pull that off eventually.

Or we need to stuff some motor in a TTR frame......

I think I'm going to start a company that sells serious, tiny trail bikes for girls and they won't be f'ing pink. (that's my other bitch for the day, finding MX pants that aren't pink or flowery.....really? really??)

sorry, I'm cranky today. I quit facebook and I've got to rant to somebody.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 12:28 PM
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #46631
blackdiamondmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
So I think I've reached maximum frustration with my current stable. The CRF is going to be ridiculously expensive to get a front wheel/tire combo for and she's still HEAVY. For now, it will be the road bike, but I'm betting I sell it before fall.

Any opinions on the XT225? I've only talked to raving fans. I'm looking for the downside to this bike. Obviously I will most likely want something more at some point, but I want something I can ride at Tar Hollow, Wayne, Danville and enjoy myself. The TTR, even if by some miracle I get it titled & road legal, is still just a 125 and I'm only going to want to trailer it places.

I need something I can actually ride somewhere to play. I found a cheap one for $1200 with only 1800 miles on it on CL.

In case you wondered:

TTR125XT225CRF230
Seat Height31.731.931.7
Weight172238276

KTM 250 XCF weighs in at just 220. Seat height of over 38". One other RFS has lowered hers 4". I might be able to pull that off eventually.

Or we need to stuff some motor in a TTR frame......

I think I'm going to start a company that sells serious, tiny trail bikes for girls and they won't be f'ing pink. (that's my other bitch for the day, finding MX pants that aren't pink or flowery.....really? really??)

sorry, I'm cranky today. I quit facebook and I've got to rant to somebody.
Buildit had one a couple years ago that was in great shape that I think he sold for about that amount. He could probable advise you. 238 pounds sounds a little low, I'd be suprised if that number isn't overly optimistic and the actual weight wasn't closer to that of the crf230l. I'd say buy one if you can swing it and try it out. You could even take an electric carving knife to the foam seat and shave an inch or two from the seat height. -Mike

Edit: You may also be able to loosen the triple clamp and slide the forks up a bit to lower the xt225.

blackdiamondmike screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 01:03 PM
blackdiamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #46632
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Just a quick pic for GCMK while I get some blood back in my hands:

On my way north for here:

No time for a real update though, that'll come Sunday night when I'm home.

Oh, and sorry, I know it's late, but if you haven't figured it out yet, you can follow me here:
http://mikef5000.whereamiriding.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #46633
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

Oh, and sorry, I know it's late, but if you haven't figured it out yet, you can follow me here:

Nice,

I'm jealous.....the ride & THAT BEAST!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #46634
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Nice meeting you today Steve. Did you manage to dodge the rain? I went to Mt. Hope for a chicken diner and got rained on pretty good just south of town. That was the only rain but the roads were wet most of the way home.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #46635
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

NICE!!!!!!

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote