Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #31
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,138
Hit a few snags lately. Had the wrong gaskets for the side covers but looks like we have it sorted and should start making forward progress here soon.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #32
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Just read John Jr's. post. Sounds a little down, doesn't he? I've been down this road many times. Well aware of the pressure, stress, etcetra, etcetra. Of course a deadline certainly tends to make one focus on getting a project done. More than once I've been working on a car or bike right up to the day of the event. Amateur racing is full of this stuff. Got to make a living, kids & wife need some attention, bills gotta be paid, etcetra, etcetra. Boy howdy, we're gonna do it though, God willing & if the creek rises we'll just go around!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #33
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
Hit a few snags lately. Had the wrong gaskets for the side covers but looks like we have it sorted and should start making forward progress here soon.

-John
yeah, those SL side cover gaskets are unique and different than the CB's...and all of the gasket kits are for CB's and CL's
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Finally some forward progress. Got the engine together and mocked up in the frame.

Spent the day making an original LAMEco pipe.

Final product, LAMEco two into one with small megaphone.

Probably gonna be stupid loud, we will see. Why buy a pipe when you can spend all day welding scrap bike parts together?

Tomorrow will work on fabing up a skid plate then we can paint the frame and start on final assembly. Still need to work on the chain setup but someone has allready done the R&D so shouldn't be too hard. ( Thanks guys).

More to come.

-John

azcagiva screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 09:19 PM
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #35
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Yeah!!!

There is nothing like the staccato rhythm of a Honda twin through a LAMEco mini megaphone.....under full tilt boogie!!!! Can't wait to hear it roar....

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #36
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,003
Hell Ya!!!

Looking good there John. I should have some free time next week, let me know if you need anything from the Valley

I was able to get the vacation time off for the 1000,,,All systems are go and ready for launch
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #37
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Looking good there John. I should have some free time next week, let me know if you need anything from the Valley

I was able to get the vacation time off for the 1000,,,All systems are go and ready for launch
Good news!!!!! Looks like our team is growing a bit. My dad is thinking of riding a bit too.

Gonna be a good time.

-John

Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #38
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Good news!!!!! Looks like our team is growing a bit. My dad is thinking of riding a bit too.

Gonna be a good time.

-John
Plug me in wherever you need me. First timer for Baja and the stoked factor is rising quickly!!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #39
HalfFast
Double Secret Pit Ninja

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Plug me in wherever you need me. First timer for Baja and the stoked factor is rising quickly!!
Welcome to LAMEco Racing!

This is going to be a blast!

2012 2nd place NORRA Mexican 1000
2013 1st place NORRA Mexican 1000
HalfFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #40
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Finally some forward progress. Got the engine together and mocked up in the frame.

Spent the day making an original LAMEco pipe.

Final product, LAMEco two into one with small megaphone.

Probably gonna be stupid loud, we will see. Why buy a pipe when you can spend all day welding scrap bike parts together?

Tomorrow will work on fabing up a skid plate then we can paint the frame and start on final assembly. Still need to work on the chain setup but someone has allready done the R&D so shouldn't be too hard. ( Thanks guys).

More to come.

-John
Looking good, John! My '70 CL had a hole rusted through the header and it was loud! It made me feel like I was going at least a few miles an hour faster than I was. Yours is going to sound fantastic!

Go Allan and John! Woohoo!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #41
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

That bike is coming together nice!!

Quote:

Still need to work on the chain setup but someone has allready done the R&D so shouldn't be too hard. ( Thanks guys).
You're Welcome!! But I'm sure you'll will come up with some unique chain set-up solution. Why would you simply copy someone else's work??

Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 692
Looking Good!

Your SL350 is looking good, nice job!

When we get to Mexico, I'd like to take a closer look at your exhaust, the CNC retainers look like some I found being made here in the Portland area and was hoping to use on my SL350 MX bike. Are you using the sleeve type retainers to hold the head pipes in (similar to stock) or springs?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #43
Mr Fast
Slowly striving

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
Your SL350 is looking good, nice job!

When we get to Mexico, I'd like to take a closer look at your exhaust, the CNC retainers look like some I found being made here in the Portland area and was hoping to use on my SL350 MX bike. Are you using the sleeve type retainers to hold the head pipes in (similar to stock) or springs?
Those are left over from my order to MotoCapelinni. I couldn't use them on my roadracer with the Jemco pipe. Look on their website to check them out.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #44
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Worked on the skid plate today. Since we are on a little time crunch, we decided to make an existing skid plate that we had, work. After digging through a pile of skidplates, we found an aftermarket one that looked like it might work. So we cut it in half and melted the two halves together with a strip of scrap aluminum. Here is a pic of said sad skid plate.

Keep in mind I am learning how to TIG so this is the only weld that I can show, the others are just too ugly to be shown on the internet. Here is a closeup for your enjoyment.

LC asked about the pipe. The flanges are like my dad said, motocappilini, and they use the stock setup with the two halves in the head. I took a pic of the pipe today after we pulled it off the bike. I know there is a science to building these pipes. The only science used was more of a, "yeah that should work". We will see how that pans out. Anyway here is the pic.

I am thinking of wrapping it with the heat stuff for the race to help keep the heat down. Hopefully I will have time to do that before the race.

Kinda feel like I am in an episode of american chopper, with the looming deadline and all.

I will keep plodding along thanks for following my build.

-John

Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:

That is a nice looking set-up, I love the 2-1!! Very cool.