User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #2206
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Question Where to tap in to high beam circuit on 1200GS

I have installed a flood and spot, switch and dash light on my 07 1200GS.
I will be using a 5 pin relay as per an earlier post on this thread.
My only question is where to tap in to the high beam circuit to get the switching signal for the relay.
I'm not keen on drilling the waterproof cap behind the high beam light.

I've searched this thread using a few parameters but no luck yet.
Billy Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #2207
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,846

Live from the Frostproof Bikefest.

Frostproof, FL
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #2208
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Pilgrim View Post
I have installed a flood and spot, switch and dash light on my 07 1200GS.
I will be using a 5 pin relay as per an earlier post on this thread.
My only question is where to tap in to the high beam circuit to get the switching signal for the relay.
I'm not keen on drilling the waterproof cap behind the high beam light.

I've searched this thread using a few parameters but no luck yet.
No drilling required. Just tap into high beam positive wire and route thin trigger wire through vent plug, done.

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #2209
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Many thanks for that Tallguy.
That looks like a good solution.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #2210
bandera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Last update for me.

The 60s interfere with the electrical system of the 2008 K1200GT under any configuration--by pass box, autoswitch trigger with relay, and separate circuit with a relay and manual switch all induce the same interference. It must be something the lights emit, or the unshielded wiring? I just don't know and I never did get a response from the vendor.

By the way Clearwater lights guarantees their lights will work with the K12GT. They are much more $$, but if you have a K12GT and want LED's this may be a better option.

Cheers!
bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #2211
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
CANBUS. Is it the German word for crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandera View Post
Last update for me.

The 60s interfere with the electrical system of the 2008 K1200GT under any configuration--by pass box, autoswitch trigger with relay, and separate circuit with a relay and manual switch all induce the same interference. It must be something the lights emit, or the unshielded wiring? I just don't know and I never did get a response from the vendor.

By the way Clearwater lights guarantees their lights will work with the K12GT. They are much more $$, but if you have a K12GT and want LED's this may be a better option.

Cheers!
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #2212
FlyingPig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Last update for me.

Cheers!
Well if you don't need yours anymore, I'd be willing to take them off of your hands depending on the price.... no interference on my strom
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #2213
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Last update for me.

Cheers!
PM sent
Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #2214
Billy Pilgrim
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
No drilling required. Just tap into high beam positive wire and route thin trigger wire through vent plug, done.

I used this method last night on my 07 12GS.
It was made a little more difficult because I have a Touratech dash panel with power outlets.
This meant removing the screen, instruments and dash panel.
After routing the relay trigger wire through the vent plug I pared back the insulation on the white wire to the headlight connector, soldered the trigger wire on and wrapped the joint in insulation tape.
Now I have it all connected via a 5 pin relay with a push switch and indicator light in the dash surround as per the wiring diagram earlier in this thread.
Took a couple of hours and it all works.
No CANBUS errors so far.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #2215
bandera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Last update for me.

Cheers!

One quick follow-up. I got the lights to work! Not on my K12GT, but on my 1995 BMW R1100RSL. So they are keepers and will burn holes through the Texas deer during my night excursions on the old RSL.
bandera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 AM   #2216
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Last update for me.

Cheers!
Post a drawing of the circuit you are using - include relays and trigger points. I have 6 lights up front - 10,000 lumens and no probs at all

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #2217
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Sanjoh - having used these lights for a while now - a couple of observations:

Lights are bright - seriously bright. If you are on a narrow road with lots of growth on the side you get a lot of reflection back which makes the centre of the road a bit dark - the upside is though you can see the sides a lot more and the suicide 'roos and wombats a lot earlier (in Oz - yes we have deer and buffalo and beef here too, but they seem to have more sense)

What I need is a spot that is longer ranged and more focussed than the 30's that are currently on offer, to fill up that black hole in the centre. The 10's were useless in my setup - drowned out by the more powerful wides.

How about 60 spots - and true spots that are focussed some distance from the source, without light scatter to the sides?

Great lights - I am always getting people asking me about them. A little more refining and they will be truly great

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #2218
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
Post a drawing of the circuit you are using - include relays and trigger points. I have 6 lights up front - 10,000 lumens and no probs at all

viz
Close Encounters

Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #2219
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Harleys need lights to

Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #2220
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
During the day the amber does the trick, didn't see the white light mounted low at first.
That is interesting, I suspect if the pic was taken a bit further back, you would not even see the amber