Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #106
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,280
Two wheels one jack..!

Hi All...

Since my Tubs wheel is the same as the Tug, it's easy rotating them when the Tug's tire has about 1000 mile left while the Tub has plenty. Changing 2 tires at the same time isn't too convenient if you don't carry two jacks....more weight...more room.

So... improvised this gizmo.

-Scissor Jack with countoured block of wood to fit framing

-1" thick hardwood with half round to fit sidecars framing pipe. Height subject to your sidecar and get tire off ground by about 2".

-hard wood impression plate for dirt; grass...etc.

Before jacking...loosen tire lugs slightly...

Set bike in gear and velcro clamp front brake..

Jack up wheel and install wood support strut...

Stand alone strut...

Jack up the rear of the bike using rear subframe near the centerstand attachment points...

Both wheels off the ground..Bike is very secure as it is in gear and front brake is locked. Tested shaking it....no movements!

(Disclaimer: Not responsible if your bike topples)

Swap wheels.....

Fini....

Tire's as shown here: a reversed new Metzeler Tourance(came from Tub) on the bike and old Michelin Anakee on the Tub(to be replaced soon) from the Bike

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 07:37 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #107
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Inmates....

Give me your scoop on this.

Since the hack wheel and tug wheels bolt on *opposite* sides and Moto tires are uni-directional -the tread pattern is reversed when doing this? Does this seriously matter. I am sure tire wear will accelerate; thread pattern grip is less in dirt, etc. What about safety..heat build-up. Being a Hack might not matter except $$$$ tires. All the more reason to get a car tire...ahem!.... Maybe I should install all of them correctly at home but during travel and self change accept the reverse as I might not be in condition to dismount the tires?

Thanks!

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 07:41 AM
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #108
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Inmates....

Since the hack wheel and tug wheels bolt on *opposite* sides and Moto tires are uni-directional -the tread pattern is reversed when doing this? Does this seriously matter. I am sure tire wear will accelerate; thread pattern grip is less in dirt, etc. What about safety..heat build-up. Being a Hack might not matter except $$$$ tires. All the more reason to get a car tire...ahem!.... Maybe I should install all of them correctly at home but during travel and self change accept the reverse as I might not be in condition to dismount the tires?

Thanks!
Should not be an issue. You will still find the rear tire wears quicker. The sidecar tire shoudl nto wear very fast. The front tire on a rig usually wears pretty slow unless one induces understeer a lot.

Also, many actually are mounting a rear tire on the front on some rigs and reversing the rotation direction. The thought is that it helps braking . The idea originated in the trike world. I am not really convinced but whatever.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #109
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Thanks Claude and Litewait about the tire travel direction. As soon as my new Metzeler Tourance comes in from SWmoto/Ariz I'll mount it in the proper direction for the drive wheel and leave the Tubs wheel direction as is.

Litewait..great innovative design...didn't think of this, he..more stable in event of wobble. Cool thingy.. keep us posted with your innovative gizmos.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #110
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Inmates....

Since the hack wheel and tug wheels bolt on *opposite* sides and Moto tires are uni-directional -the tread pattern is reversed when doing this?
Though it's been more than adequately endorsed by Claude and LiteWait, wiser and more experienced than I, I can also confirm that I have the tire for the "tub", mounted for the "tug", so that it does rotate "backwards" on the tub.

There are no acceleration forces, and as previously noted, I don't have a sidecar brake, so no decceleration forces either. As near as I can tell, with nothing but rolling friction (and some small component of scrubbing in a turn I suppose) the tire on the tub will last around 8 times longer than that on the tug, which has been a life-saver for my on longer tours, as I can swap out the tug's worn pusher, and run it on the tub until it's almost bald, much like the driver .

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #111
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
PM'd ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosanc
Wow, Elmer these pictures made around the world before I even rode home ! Great meeting you folks we really enjoyed meeting you and Sharon ! We look forward to doing some riding and camping with you soon. Maybe next weekend in Black Mtn. Hope to cross paths in Alaska too ! Thanks for the quick class on posting pics on adv. I will get around to it soon.
Keep safe
Brian & Ellie
Elmer,
I PM'd ya
B
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #112
brosanc
WormGuy

Oddometer: 48
resend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosanc
Elmer,
I PM'd ya
B
I tried to pm you ! I wrote this long outline about our weekend at black mtn, blue ridge pky, camping, bike break down ...... We I pushe dthe send button my computer froze and I guess I lost it ! I hate when that happens.
So I guess I will try again.
Did you folks make it to Boone ?
Our trip to Black Mtn started late Friday about 6pm. Rode through some pretty nasty weather, heavy rains almost all the way to blk mtn. arrived 11 pm, decided to hotel it instead of camp. I had to do several presentations throughout the day at the garden festival. Saturday was beautiful, 80 degrees and sunny. At 2 pm we rode through Swanannoa to Warren Wilson College, to show Ellie the campus, very nice liberal arts school in the mtns. Then traveled to Asheville and got on the Blue Ridge Prky. Rode up to top of Mt Mitchel and climbed to top pof the new tower. As soon as we got to the top it started to rain. we then left mt mitchel and rode to crabtree falls , meadows & campground. Rain most of the way and the whole time setting up the tent. Poured rain all night. Got up at 7 and decided to leave, Ellie wasn't feeling well ! Packed up, and the bike would not start !! At first I thought it was the battery, tried to push start - no luck. A couple stopped to try to give us a jump, but they didn't have cables and I didn't have the allen wrench to move the gas tank. Then I thought it might be the fuel pump burned out. so we called AAA to get a tow. this took about 1 hour because we has such a bad cell. We met these great people that wanted to help us out. Just as we were getting into our new freinds car to go to the camp office & store to warm up and get some hot tea, AAA calle dto tell us that the plan we had does not include motorcycles and that I would have to pay for trhe service call. I called my other auto club (Best World) and they said they would cover the bill. yea Anyway, about noon the tow truck arrived. (they had to come up the mtn about 40 miles in rain & fog) They arrive with a small trailer to haul a motorcycle. AAA forgot to mention that I had a sidecar ! So off we go back to the campground to load the bike (and sidecar). we squeezed it on. We had to build a second ramp for the sidecar out of rocks and logs. But we got it on ! Oh yeah, the tow guy broke a tailight the first attempt at backing up. On our way down the mtn, talking with the tow truck guys (they were great) one of them says that just the day before he worked on his uncles BMW K1200 with the same problem and all it was was that the battery was dead. So we went to their shop in Old Fort ( I said FORT). They had the allen wrench that we needed (he gave it to me to keep)moved the gas tank to get to the battery and hooked the to my auxillary battery with their jumper cables (they gave me that set of jumper cables to keep too). The bike started immediatly. We unloaded and repacked and we were ready to go. Poor Ellie, slept in their truck until we were ready to go. These fellows only charged me $80, including the allen wrench & jumper cables. I gave them a nice tip.
By then it was almost 3 pm, no breakfast or lunch yet ! we set out and rode to Winston Salem, had dinner and got home around 7pm. Long day !
Ellie is still pretty sick, going to the doctor tomorrow to see whats up.
I hope your weekend was not as crazy as ours !
PS - tried to call several times on Saturday on Sharons cell phone, no luck !
How to see you soon.
Brian & Ellie
brosanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #113
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Hey Brosanc...we sent you pm. We're doing fine and enjoying the ride to Blue Ridge and the mountainous state of NC! Will post our ride when we get back home. Hope Ellie is better and glad all's ok with your motorcycle. What a trip!! Sun is out now...hoorah!! But light rain coming again on Friday/Saturday. Until later...
Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #114
hondachopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
How was the shakedown?? All systems good for the Alaska trip??

Tom
hondachopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #115
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Windshield...

Wifey complained aobut the shoulder windblasts and updrafts when riding in the Tub. So toyed with the idea of using the old 2006 1200RT's winshield as it's a bit broader. Verdict: -- it's better...no updraft...clearer optically..
Don't aske me about fuel mileage tho!, he,he..

Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #116
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 413
Fuel Tank

A day late...well maybe a couple years late...on reading this report...but

I noticed the aux fuel tank under the tub in the initial photos but fail to see it in the finished product...or on your ride report and mis-haps (adventure) to Alaska. I also did not see the fule tank fill pipe on any NC > AK photos.

Did you not use it? And if so, any reason why not...? Just curious?

I am getting the fever for a new bike/hack rig and seem to spend way too much time looking at other folks rigs gathering ideas.

Thanks in advance.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #117
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawley View Post
A day late...well maybe a couple years late...on reading this report...but

I noticed the aux fuel tank under the tub in the initial photos but fail to see it in the finished product...or on your ride report and mis-haps (adventure) to Alaska. I also did not see the fule tank fill pipe on any NC > AK photos.

Did you not use it? And if so, any reason why not...? Just curious?

I am getting the fever for a new bike/hack rig and seem to spend way too much time looking at other folks rigs gathering ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Good Morning jbhawley...

Excuse my tardiness..been moving to a Casa Nueva . Bigger garage .

The external fuel tank weigthed a ton . If my memory serves me right; it was a 6-8 gallon steel tank. Since it was large; virtue of design it would not carry fuel over the center pipe of the Tub's main frame. You either run up a steep hill or lift the front end in order to make the last gallon reach the pickup tube which was aft of the tank. It protruded too much toward the road surface .... I believe it was in it's Beta stage design and I am sure has been improved within today.

Get yourself a rig...spend the $$$..it's only money...enjoy life...tell your grandkids what Opa did...priceless.

Cheers....
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #118
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post

Get yourself a rig...spend the $$$..it's only money...enjoy life...

Amen to that!
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #119
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,386
If I may put in my 2 cents...

I have the Dauntless external tank on my rig and it is mounted flat under the rig with the leading edge sloping at an angle or wedge like this / but more sloped. I have not filled mine all the way yet at the pump so do not know how much it holds or weighs in at when full. Jay said it would be between 6 or 7 + gallons as mine was made just for my frame and they did not do the math to figure out the total gallons it would hold. I spend a lot of time off the beaten path and want the extra fuel. (Around 14 gallons minimum) I see no reason with the way they are made now that you would not be able to get all of the fuel out as long as you were not pointed down hill when you were trying to pump it to your bikes tank. The pickup point is still in the back closest to the bike with two places I can tap into. I would take a pic for you but it is at the shop right now getting a 37:11 gear set installed.

I only weigh about 150lb with all my gear on and lead in my pants. My camping and tools don't weigh anything close to that. All my tools are on the bike and any extra fluff goes in the hacks boot. The extra weight of the tank with my 1150GS I am sure will never be an issue. The one issue I can see would be that it is almost as low as the hacks attaching points or frame on my bike. I will need to always be aware that when on a goat trail with large rocks, I will have to raise the hack up and pick my path with the knowledge that I am no longer just two wheels. The tank is Very robust. I have already hit a rock or two as I was learning the ropes following a 2wd Ural on some fantastic goat roads. The first one I hit sent me a bit of a shock. I stopped and checked to see what damage I had done and found to my shock that the paint was the only damage. It taught me to slow down, look at my lines differently and to not worry about what the person out front would think if I didn't keep up. As it was he had to buy the first drink anyway. He didn't think I could make it.

I hope this was as clear as mud.

And jbhawley, as Abenteuerfahrer said, "Get yourself a rig...spend the $$$..it's only money...enjoy life...tell your grandkids what Opa did...priceless" My Gbaby is going to be two here real soon. I can't wait to take her for a ride!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #120
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Thanks Claude and Litewait about the tire travel direction. As soon as my new Metzeler Tourance comes in from SWmoto/Ariz I'll mount it in the proper direction for the drive wheel and leave the Tubs wheel direction as is.
Mounting the tire as if it were going on the drive position would be correct. When put on the hack you are reversing the direction which is correct, same as putting a rear tire on the front of the bike. The concern isn't about tread design/traction. The issue is with the cords inside the tire. When applying torque one direction you are pulling "with" the cords which is their strongest condition. If torque is applied in the opposite direction you are pulling "against" the cords which is their weaker condition and makes it more likely they will fail. Chances are that you won't generate enough braking torque on the hack wheel to make a difference. The issue would most likely appear in the drive position of the bike.
oldmonkeybut is online now   Reply With Quote