Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
weird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
This thread has given me more than one good laugh, I have one question for those that are concerned with putting a 1 gallon rotopax full of gas in a backpack. Why does this bother you when you have 3 to 5 gallons between your legs and on top of a hot engine.
weird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
This thread has given me more than one good laugh, I have one question for those that are concerned with putting a 1 gallon rotopax full of gas in a backpack. Why does this bother you when you have 3 to 5 gallons between your legs and on top of a hot engine.
Perhaps because I'm not strapped to the bike?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
I could go into my typical dissertation mode and discuss things like assumed risk vs reward, not to mention the practicality of trying to even find a gasoline powered vehicle that doesn't use some sort of storage tank in the first place thus making the sitting on top of gallons of gasoline for the most part practically impossible but I'm really trying to get away from being preachy and pedantic and of course from using really long run-on sentences so I'll simply reiterate what I wrote earlier, I urge the original poster to just do it,what could possibly go wrong...? I should of course add that it doesn't bother me in the least that someone else is planning or considering riding around with a gallon of explosive fuel strapped to their body, I'd appreciate knowing where they are so as to avoid being around them but it's a free county after all.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

As a liberaltarian existentialist, I believe the ultimate freedom is the ability to end yourself. If you wanna strap something to your body that could aid that, more power to you. Just make sure it is a considered choice.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
The odds of a backpack fuel can "exploding" are probably 1/100th the odds of dying on a motorcycle the "standard" way(s).

You guys are like riding without helmets, doing wheelies in traffic, but wearing a dust mask so you don't catch SARS.

Dude, put the gas can in your backpack. You'll be fine.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Good odds.
Time to play the lottery.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #22
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 615
I would not be to concerned about exploding. You'd have to crash pretty hard to make it leak and find a spark at the same time. But still there is no way I'd do it.
More importantly I'd worry about it sloshing around on my back putting great stain on my spine and muscles.( but I do ride with a Gieger water rig sometimes) Especially on a single track ride. Crashing and landing on your back would be like landing on a sharp edged rock or brick. Any other landing would have the extra force of gas strapped to your body.
How about tank panniers ? Would not be any heavier than the 4 gallon tank you are waiting for and probably cheaper than the Rotopax.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #23
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

There are some good tank panniers available online for under $40. I bought Quadboss brand for my KLR for about that. Each side will hold two one-liter bottles of fuel, and a bit of other gear. I personally use Sigg one-liter spun aluminum cans when I have to go that way. They are tough.

Most of the time, I ride with the gallon Rotopax on the left (non-muffler) side.

I also have a couple of Nalgene poly fuel bottles that I could use. I haven't ridden with them, but I've backpacked all over the place with them. They have nice spouts and pour well.

Many people have no problems with filling a clean soda bottle with gas as a back-up. PETE is fairly resistant to gas, and is light and cheap or free.

There's no way I'm strapping any of this to my body while on a bike. Some have said that it's no different than hiking with a stove and a fuel bottle. Hiking two miles an hour is hauling ass. Three miles per is truly hauling ass. For all that have forgotten their high-school Newtonian physics, F=MA.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #24
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,884

I'd rather have a couple of these 2L containers stashed on the bike, rather than an unmounted Rotopax.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...-Fuel-Canister

Properly mounted Rotopax is cool though:

jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #25
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,269
Quote:
Originally posted by Canuman:

As a liberaltarian existentialist, I believe the ultimate freedom is the ability to end yourself. If you wanna strap something to your body that could aid that, more power to you. Just make sure it is a considered choice.
If, after the ignition, we could just bury the remains in place, I might agree...

However, if the ignition occurs in our area of responsibility, we'll be rolled out to extinguish the fire, the sheriff's deputy will be rolled out to make the report, the JP will be called to pronounce, then the funeral director will be called to sweep up the ashes and remains. We'll remain on site until the funeral director's van leaves the scene to wash down the site.

We did something similar to this at 0525 this morning...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Properly mounted Rotopax is cool though:

Hey, that was my bike. Just sold it last month.

On the original question, even on a KTM EXC mounting the Rotopax securely onto the bike with the correct mount is not a difficult job, so why on earth would you want to carry it on your back, regardless of the acceptance of risk.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #27
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
If, after the ignition, we could just bury the remains in place, I might agree...

However, if the ignition occurs in our area of responsibility, we'll be rolled out to extinguish the fire, the sheriff's deputy will be rolled out to make the report, the JP will be called to pronounce, then the funeral director will be called to sweep up the ashes and remains. We'll remain on site until the funeral director's van leaves the scene to wash down the site.

We did something similar to this at 0525 this morning...

NFE
OK, if you're going to bush it, please be polite and plan it somewhere where you stop kicking before the cavalry arrives. A DBR is always an easier haul-out than trying to do chest compressions on the move on a partially live one that's shaking you off. Severe burns are perhaps the most gruesome thing that can be imagined.

Thanks for your service, NFE. Our fire departments, first responders, and EMTs are not often properly recognized. There is little glory, lots of work, and a whole lot of hurt in that game. I worked with several good people in the mountains that went out for others and didn't return.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
More importantly I'd worry about it sloshing around on my back putting great stain on my spine and muscles.( but I do ride with a Gieger water rig sometimes) Especially on a single track ride. Crashing and landing on your back would be like landing on a sharp edged rock or brick. Any other landing would have the extra force of gas strapped to your body.
Basically every enduro rider and desert racer in the world rides with 3-4 liters of water on their back. I don't think the sloshing or strain is a concern.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #29
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,125
I've travelled several thousands of miles with a 1 gal Rotopax mounted on a pillion plate on my GS. It's had things strapped to it, firewood carried on it, and spent dozens of days in direct sunlight. It has never leaked a single drop.

In the event of a get-off, the Rotopax will withstand any force that won't instantly kill you first.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,676
I carry 1.3 gals in one of these bolted to the subframe and another 1.3 in my back pack when I need 150+ miles. Cheaper than rotopax, very durable.