User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Scala G4 sound quality is amazingly,,,

Cheap and tinny! I've been looking forward to cutting the cords and getting this for a year. I finally made the plunge and connected it to my iPhone for audio and cannot believe how bad the sound is.

Anyone else have the same opinion? Any upgrades or improvements that can be made to the bass?
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
check threads for info

A few threads about Scala Rider G4 and a pleasant lady who does some "augmentation"...ours works pretty well..but yes will get the Etymotics hard wired...best of luck
yatman

Cardo Scala G-4 Ear Bud modification

yatman screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 10:59 PM
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,049
Speakers

I use mine almost daily and I have found the speaks to be just fine... I have the poweer set and both sets are good.
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I have used both the scala rider G4 and the Sena SMH10's. Sound quality/Battery life was better on the SMH10's - the volume button has died on my G4 so it's useless now until I can open it up and have a look inside. Full disclosure though SENA provided me with a set of SMH10's as sponsorship so I am probably a bit biased. Will see how the Sena's hold up to the test of time. The G4 wasn't even a year old and didn't get that much use so a bit annoyed about the button.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Unfortunately you did not describe why the sound quality of your device qualifies as "amazingly cheap and tinny" in your opinion. I have no clue as to how that should sound should it qualify as such.
I also have the Cardo G4 (powerset) and although there are a lot of reasons why I struggle with the damn thing on a daily basis, the sound quality is not one of them. I have always found the sound quality quite sufficient when you consider that you are on a motorbike with high speeds in roaring winds and loud engines. So no complaints on this side with regards to the sound quality.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
L1 P
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I've found that if you fiddle with the iphone sound (found under, settings-> music-> EQ) that you can improve the sound quality coming through the G4 somewhat, although I would agree, there's a lot left to be desired.
L1 P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Golevi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
There are many reasons that your G-4 can have poor sound quality, but I suspect that the placement of the speaker in relation to your ear while in the helmet has the greatest impact... You may want to try to move the speakers around a bit, and try to get them closer to your ear...

My wife likes the way hthe speakers sound, so the ear bud modification was not necessary, but for me it was...

Here is a detailed write up on how to perform the ear bud modification to the G-4...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628028&highlight=Cardo+Scala+modification

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Are you wearing earplugs? I have a Sena and previously had a Cardo Scala Q2, and in both cases I've found that wearing a good set of earplugs - like Etymotic ER20s - makes the phones sound better, especially at higher speeds. Less wind noise = better sound actually getting through to my ears.

And +1 on messing with your EQ setting on the iPhone.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
You might look at modifying what the speakers are sitting on. There could be too much foam or too little. I would guess too much and you're losing some coupling that they count on. Just a WAG though.
Though as a Powerset system, the G4 doesn't make me happy, I like the single operation. I wear earplugs and crank the volume up a bit so that I can hear it. Perhaps that helps the bass come through.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
i have them and found the sound to be good. i weaer earplugs and still can hear fine. if I need more volume, i have a Boostaroo i plug in to get more out of them.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Cheap and tinny to me means no bass. Sounds like a speaker with no woofer installed. Before you flame me for unrealistic expectations, I sold audio gear for 9 years so I know of what I speak. They sound out of phase.

The J&M headsets I replaced sounded much better. I suppose I could change the speakers but to spend that much money only to cut them apart and void my warranty does not sound good.

I did play with the EQ on my iPhone (did not know it was there until today), but found no difference between any of the settings.
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 432
ear plugs help somewhat
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #13
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevano View Post
Cheap and tinny to me means no bass. Sounds like a speaker with no woofer installed. Before you flame me for unrealistic expectations, I sold audio gear for 9 years so I know of what I speak. They sound out of phase.

The J&M headsets I replaced sounded much better. I suppose I could change the speakers but to spend that much money only to cut them apart and void my warranty does not sound good.

I did play with the EQ on my iPhone (did not know it was there until today), but found no difference between any of the settings.
So the most obvious solution is to get them back where you purchased them, and have them checked out under warranty stating your issues with it..... sounds there is something wrong which could be a manufacturing problem.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Eemo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
G4 and bad sound quality? Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqZn_oCHVS4
Eemo is offline   Reply With Quote