ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #46831
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
The piece - life size horse made of old street signs (I'm getting access to the ODOT salvage sign yard - how cool is that????
I don't weld but that's pretty darn cool

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #46832
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
I don't weld but that's pretty darn cool
Thanks! Once it's done, someone HAS to make it a tag.

We also might have to sneak something ADV in there.......

Actually, I just thought of something.......if you guys/gals have scrap parts off bikes/cars that you want included, I'd take 'em. I was going to hit a junk yard for the "filler" pieces but how fun would it be to have the filler be from friends? And you could visit the piece and find your scrap! Just an idea - it might suck but I'll throw it out there.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X

GailCallsMeKarl screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 06:00 AM
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #46833
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
That is awesome! I've welded before, but wouldn't be comfortable enough to sign up for a job such as this. Plus I don't have the necessary equipment. Columbus state has a great welding program. Teachers name is Mike, and he was fantastic.

Oh, and I would absolutely pitch in towards a custom ADV sign:
http://www.safetysign.com/Traffic+Si...fic+Signs.html
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #46834
indypup
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,270
Those signs are probably aluminum too so that stuff is harder to weld. TIG welding anyone?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #46835
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

Oh, and I would absolutely pitch in towards a custom ADV sign:
http://www.safetysign.com/Traffic+Si...fic+Signs.html
Holy crap! Brilliant!!!!! We are so doing this!

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #46836
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,947
I'll see what my boss will let me steal from the pile out back. I think we have a 1/4 of a dumpster filled with scrap signs.

You may be able to just rivet/bolt the aluminum signs together. Also, you can only bend those so far or they break, I've tried. The seat base on my trials bike is an old street sign.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #46837
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I'm in! Anyone else? Tomorrow afternoon?

In for which ride?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #46838
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
So I tend to dream big.....and sometimes it gets me in over my head. (my favorite modern artist always says to "fake it til you make it" well - I'm there!!)

I submitted a proposal for a public art work grant and it got accepted!

The problem - it involves welding and I don't weld!

So I can either a) learn or b) hire someone talented to do the actual welding of the work.

I actually do want to learn to weld at some point but I'm thinking a public sculpture on Broad St isn't where I want to test my skills. I'm going to toss the job to the ADV community first - any of you know how to weld and want a cool side gig? The grant will pay you. And you will be able to see your work as public art!

The piece - life size horse made of old street signs (I'm getting access to the ODOT salvage sign yard - how cool is that???? Trying to find as many US 40/National Rd signs as possible) Horse will appear to be like a carriage horse tied to a modern day parking meter. He'll probably be on a sidewalk but I'm trying like hell to have them put him in the street. I can pound and bend steel all day, I just need a welder to stick stuff where I want it to go. It will take place this summer, I think the opening day/deadline is Sept 8. The grant just got awarded so there's still a lot of details to work out. I don't know the exact compound of the signs at this point.

My friend Sailah (Inmate here, see his build threads) has a TIG and would probably love the practice. I just sent him a notice about this.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #46839
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
In for which ride?
I'm talking Thursday, as in, today now. Didn't know I had options? Gonzo_Matt and I are meeting at Iron Pony just after noon and heading north-easterly.

And Carrie, I'm thinking (with a better quality pictures, and permissions from Meef) something like this:
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #46840
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
So I tend to dream big.....and sometimes it gets me in over my head. (my favorite modern artist always says to "fake it til you make it" well - I'm there!!)

So I can either a) learn or b) hire someone talented to do the actual welding of the work.

I actually do want to learn to weld at some point but I'm thinking a public sculpture on Broad St isn't where I want to test my skills. I'm going to toss the job to the ADV community first - any of you know how to weld and want a cool side gig? The grant will pay you. And you will be able to see your work as public art!

The piece - life size horse made of old street signs (I'm getting access to the ODOT salvage sign yard - how cool is that???? Trying to find as many US 40/National Rd signs as possible) Horse will appear to be like a carriage horse tied to a modern day parking meter. He'll probably be on a sidewalk but I'm trying like hell to have them put him in the street. I can pound and bend steel all day, I just need a welder to stick stuff where I want it to go. It will take place this summer, I think the opening day/deadline is Sept 8. The grant just got awarded so there's still a lot of details to work out. I don't know the exact compound of the signs at this point.

I have ideas
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #46841
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
My friend Sailah (Inmate here, see his build threads) has a TIG and would probably love the practice. I just sent him a notice about this.
Nevermind. he replied and he's too busy with other projects.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #46842
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,104
Quote:

The piece - life size horse made of old street signs (I'm getting access to the ODOT salvage sign yard - how cool is that???? grant just got awarded so there's still a lot of details to work out. I don't know the exact compound of the signs at this point.
Sounds cool but a bit tricky, most of the newer street signs are aluminum thus requiring some more specialized equipment and a bit more skill.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #46843
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Sounds cool but a bit tricky, most of the newer street signs are aluminum thus requiring some more specialized equipment and a bit more skill.

I'm thinking that there should be plenty of old steel signs in the salvage yard...GCMK, take a magnet with you when picking out signs to use

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #46844
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
I'm thinking the sculpture would look really cool with just cut and folded signs. I would not try to do curves.

Imagine all flat surfaces....with folds.....a stealth fighter looking horse....out of street signs!

I want it for my yard!

If I were going to attempt such a project I would use large pop rivets.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #46845
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
There's a saying that if you gave all the wealth of the rich to the very poorest people, in a single generation the wealth would be back in the hands of the former wealthy again.

Give someone with not a shred of experience handling money lots of it, and they do stupid things. When was the last time you heard about a lawyer or doctor hitting the lottery and ending up broke? Somehow they manage just fine, it's the unemployed guy living in an airstream that hits it and pisses it away...and who plays the most lottery? Airstream Charlie.

In any case, I'd like to have 500 million little problems to contend with. If you took half of the payout after taxes (probably $140 million or so) and stuck it in a VERY conservative investment portfolio, you would probably have several million per year in interest to live on, for the rest of your life. And, that's in addition to the other half you have to spend or live on, or invest....plus the $140 large that was your principal.

If you blow $500,000,000, you're one stupid SOB.
AirStream - I thought that was living large.

Lottery tickets - last week I heard another name for them - Break Even Tickets. To those of hopes dashed, breaking even feels like winning. If only that money DID go to education they could lower my taxes. (could, but wouldn't).