Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #31
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If you know how, opening a damaged tank and installing a proper chemical resistance liner using novalac vinyl ester resin system, will in most cases mean the tanks perfectly ok to use with modern fuels. Seems unfortunate that no one seems able to make fuel resistant tanks for off-road bikes, even though industrial fuel storage tanks have been in use since the 1960s!

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_0320.jpg provides a good idea of what happens when tank "sealers" are used rather than carrying out a proper repair job!
Have you actually done a repair as you have explained, splitting the tank etc? I'd love to see some photos. I think I'd be afraid of trying to split my tank incase I screw it up and then I'd be really hooped because an aftermarket replacement does not exist. I have done fiberglass repairs on my canoe and such so I do have limited experience with resins etc, but if you do open up the tank to seal the inside then how do you seal up the seams after you reassemble the tank? Where would a person find a novalac vinyl ester resin system?

Sorry about the crappy photo, still learning the wife's new camera!

2010 Montesa 4RT, 1972 Bultaco Sherpa T 250, 00' Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 (Wife's)
Ymirtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #32
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Try Hughes Bultaco in Craryville ,NY. They can fix you up with a plastic re-pro or a fibrglass tank that can withstand our alky/fuel. Perhaps a 199 tank will work on an M49 also.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #33
Ymirtrials OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Try Hughes Bultaco in Craryville ,NY. They can fix you up with a plastic re-pro or a fibrglass tank that can withstand our alky/fuel. Perhaps a 199 tank will work on an M49 also.
I've been in contact with Tim at Hughes and there isn't a re-pro for the early style M49, he figured they may have an old used one but it would need to be resealed too.....

2010 Montesa 4RT, 1972 Bultaco Sherpa T 250, 00' Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 (Wife's)
Ymirtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Yes we did do a proper repair job on the sealed tank pictured, but its not the sort of job for anyone other than a pro laminator, and the reason it was carried out is the tank is very rare, and we were interested to see if a proper repair job was feasible, as replacements are completely impossible. If your Bult tank has already been attacked by Efuel, then the fuel will probably have permeated the laminate itself, and ideally you will need to heat it in an oven of some sort to get rid of the fuel residues, before making any attempt to seal it. Those selling the sealers never advise end users of the need for this, and failure will occur almost immediately if there is still fuel in the tank lay up.................
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Another option would be if you are experienced in woodworking, have some passion and spare time to make a replika in wood and give it to a car body builder for making one out of aluminium, the main costs for a custom made tank is the mold.

Divide the tank in a vertical grids in the same thickness of board thikness that is available where you live, 24mm = about an inch, measure out the outline with a profile rule the cabinetmaker have, and draw these on the board, cut them out, glue and screw then together then align the surface and you have a nice mold. Use limewood for this, it's hard but can be processed very good.

A good car body builder then can shape the tank out of aluminium.
costs for the mold wood, srews, ...: 50$ and around three to five days of work
costs for the aluminium tank: around 500$

As you now have the mold you can make a small production run and sell them through E-Bay.

No more problems with gasoline and ethanol.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #36
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

If car body builders are able to easily make one off custom alloy tanks for $500, I wonder why more are not doing this, as Yamaha TY alloy tanks are being sold for e495 on a French trials related web site?

There are a few people in the UK who can make low number production runs of alloy tanks to very high standards, but prices would be substantially higher than $500, and shipping to the US would obviously also need to be considered.

Way to go with the M49 tank would be to approach all the small scale producers of GRP bike tanks in the US, and see if any of them would be interested in providing you with a reduced price new tank, if you provided your damaged original for them to make moulds from.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #37
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If car body builders are able to easily make one off custom alloy tanks for $500, I wonder why more are not doing this, as Yamaha TY alloy tanks are being sold for e495 on a French trials related web site?

There are a few people in the UK who can make low number production runs of alloy tanks to very high standards, but prices would be substantially higher than $500, and shipping to the US would obviously also need to be considered.

Way to go with the M49 tank would be to approach all the small scale producers of GRP bike tanks in the US, and see if any of them would be interested in providing you with a reduced price new tank, if you provided your damaged original for them to make moulds from.
There is a difference in pricing between the US and Europe:

US: hourly rate: 50$ 8h x 50$ = 400$ + 20$ material + 40$ profit + 40$ tax
EU: hourly rate: 75€ 8h x 75$ = 600$ + 40$ material + 60$ profit + 100$ tax = 800 $ = 500 €

Don't forget Europe wages are around 30% higher then in the US due to our social system and tax is about 200% higer! As a rule of thump anything you can get here in Europe which cost 100 €, you will have to pay in the US 100$. We here in Europe sadly pay around 20 - 30% more for the same goods as you, just look up car prices, motorcycle prices, ...
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

The only realistic option here is GRP formed from tooling made from the original, which by the look of it would need a fair amount of work before it would be good enough to take a mould from. As I think the M49 tank looks quite close to that used on the Pursang (?), it would be commercially viable for someone to make GRP ones as they may well fit both bikes. So why not try some of the GRP manufacturers in the US making tanks to UL standards?