Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #211
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer: 6,890
I couldn't be bothered reading the whole post, but I though the WRs engine was basically a quarter of an R1 engine, so it has its roots firmly embedded in road bikes.

Suspension adjustment just means that most people can fuck up there suspension just buy turning a few dials rather than having to get someone to set it up properly.

Frame material is really a moot point, I seriously doubt most people who would buy the CRFl would notice if it was made of plastic and wood.

Exup system has been around for many years and seems to get disabled by owners an awful lot, doesn't mean it doesn't work though.

I still find people who will swear black and blue that disabling a YPVS system on a bike equipped with it will give it more mid and top end, when all it does is loos bottom end and there for give a more pronounced "hit" in the upper revs.

Bottom line is that this bike isn't out yet, so no one has any real answers...

But that is all just my opinion...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #212
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by black comet View Post
I was wondering about something.

Please share you opinions, in this aspect. Which bike is more attractive to get? Not in performance context, but rather on Quiet nice and easy control smooth ride and Ease of Maintenance.

Thanks in advance:)
The valves need to be checked at 600 miles. Some motors have required adjustment- you must have the proper shims on hand. Most motors have not needed adjustment at 600 miles. They are checked again at 16K.

Checking the clearances is not too hard but removing and replacing the shims is more difficult. You can do it yourself, all you really need is the correct size shims. One gentleman. with the cbr250r, has 20K miles on his bike and it needed no adjustment at 16K.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #213
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by black comet View Post
...Got AIS equivilent. Off set crank, New unique rocker arm design to minimise noise, EFI. comp at 10.7
Engine is base on a road bike. Seems like the fork and rear shox offers bare minimium adjustments.
Cheaper steel frame.

WR250

AIS, EXUP, Standard cams with standard bucket over shims designs. EFI. comp at 11.8
Engine is designed solely for off road and matard. Full adjustments for fork and rear shox.
Aluminium alloy frame.

I wonders, Base on the above mentioned, which bike in ur opinion is easier and cheaper to maintain?
I seem to have this old school ideology that, the more parts a machine have, the higher chance that componet will fail...
Honda is the first company to use roller cam follower technology on a motorcycle engine. Roller cam followers have less friction and generally less valve train wear (all other things being equal). The maintenance interval on my roller cam follower Honda car engine is 110,000 miles. I would guess that the Honda engine will prove more reliable than the Yamaha because it's not as highly stressed (it makes about 3 less hp.), but the Yamaha engine has already proven itself very reliable with very long valve maintenance intervals.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #214
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
Honda is the first company to use roller cam follower technology on a motorcycle engine. Roller cam followers have less friction and generally less valve train wear (all other things being equal). The maintenance interval on my roller cam follower Honda car engine is 110,000 miles. I would guess that the Honda engine will prove more reliable than the Yamaha because it's not as highly stressed (it makes about 3 less hp.), but the Yamaha engine has already proven itself very reliable with very long valve maintenance intervals.

i'd venture to say that 110K maintenance is to replace the plugs on the engine not adjust any valves.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #215
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
@black comet

I think the simple answer comes down to how tall you are. The Yamaha is skyscraper tall, the Honda is going to have a much lower seat. I am 5'10" and found the Yamaha to be too tall for me.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #216
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post

The Yamaha has titanium valves, not sure if the Honda has these
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #217
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 712
Is this thing going to be for shorty pants people? that’s all I want to know?

The rest of you whining about a problem or problems that one or more manufactures have fixes for gets old. But just to review. No one is going to make a new air cooled 250-650cc carb'ed bike with USD forks and all the other crap some of you pine for. Why? not because honyamzukyski doesn’t want to listen to you but because they cannot pass emissions with it, at least not easily.

Also for those wanting an street legal wr450r try to get it through your head that it would be at most $1000 bucks cheaper than a KTM/husky/burg and would require the same amount of "super hard" maintenance as the eruo bikes. Maybe the parts would be cheaper, but maybe not. I have never seen the gap that many on the internet talk about between the two. And I have owned both.
dmaxmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #218
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Also for those wanting an street legal wr450r try to get it through your head that it would be at most $1000 bucks cheaper than a KTM/husky/burg
Purchase price for the WR250R is way higher than the KLX, CRF, DR bikes, and due to it's better performance and higher-spec parts, obviously many people are willing to pay more. I would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Also for those wanting an street legal wr450r try to get it through your head that it would require the same amount of "super hard" maintenance as the eruo bikes.
Why should this be so?

Lots of us DO NOT want a street legal, Enduro race bike like a plated WR450 or KTM EX-C, but rather we want a medium displacement dual-sport, like the WR250R and with similar maintenance requirements, but with a bit more torque than the 250. I'd trade horse power for reliability and long maintenance intervals.

For me, a 350 / 400 / 450cc version of the WR250R would be almost ideal (34-1/2" or so seat would be nice too).
Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #219
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

Lots of us DO NOT want a street legal, Enduro race bike like a plated WR450 or KTM EX-C, but rather we want a medium displacement dual-sport, like the WR250R and with similar maintenance requirements, but with a bit more torque than the 250. I'd trade horse power for reliability and long maintenance intervals.

For me, a 350 / 400 / 450cc version of the WR250R would be almost ideal (34-1/2" or so seat would be nice too).

+1

except the seat height [I'm 6'9} and I know any bike I buy will have bar risers plus highbend atv bars, suspension, seat and if possible peg mod's for my outside the norm dimensions. So should anyone who is under 5'9 or 10 when it comes to off-road. You want a smooth ride that means suspension and suspension means tall seat heights.
Northwoods Yeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #220
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
For most people I know that are riding KTM's, Bergs and plated Japanese enduros it isn't about having more horsepower. That is a bonus of course. But what sends people over to KTM and Berg is having less weight with better suspension and brakes.

In other words being fast offroad is much more about weight and suspension than power. Even my little 200 makes about as much straight up horsepower as a Japanese 650 DS. But what makes it fast offroad is being light with top shelf suspension.

I understand that kind of performance isn't what a lot of trail riders and commuters want. It doesn't make the most pleasant street bike. I am only explaining that horsepower is not the primary focus or attraction of plated dirt bikes to serious offroad riders.

To me, if the Japanese could figure out a way to shave 50 pounds off their dual sports AND put current generation suspension under them I would be back on a Yamaha or Honda in a heartbeat.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #221
zomby woof
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Canada gets the carb'd KLX. I have a 2009 and the bike has been a real disappointment. I could not wait for the warranty to expire to put in a dynojet kit, the bike ran horribly. If it sits any length of time it refuses to start.

It's been to the dealer several times, with no improvement. The hard starting is not unique to me, check out the forums, I cant wait for the crf250, Honda would not sell a bike with fueling issues. My wife's crf230l with carb always starts right up, even after sitting all winter.

I own CBR 125.
The fuel injection on these 125's has been proven to be very poorly set up. It will go in and out of closed loop on a whim, go back and forth between lean and pig rich with small movements of the throttle, and with the one I bought (although they're probably all the same), if ridden in cold weather, will run so ridiculously rich, the excess fuel will go past the rings and completely dilute the oil within a few thousand km. But, it does start easily, even in cold weather. I also own a KLX 250. It can be a bitch to start in cool weather, but if you know what you're doing, it's not a problem.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #222
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post

I believe you need to take a good hard look at the KLX250s with a Bill Blue 351cc bore kit. This is in my opinion, exactly what you are asking for.
The kit is only $527.00 added to the cost of the bike if you can do the swap yourself. Amazing what an added 100cc does to the bike.
Oh, and maintenance is not like a race bike.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #223
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
I own CBR 125.
The fuel injection on these 125's has been proven to be very poorly set up. It will go in and out of closed loop on a whim, go back and forth between lean and pig rich with small movements of the throttle, and with the one I bought (although they're probably all the same), if ridden in cold weather, will run so ridiculously rich, the excess fuel will go past the rings and completely dilute the oil within a few thousand km. But, it does start easily, even in cold weather. I also own a KLX 250. It can be a bitch to start in cool weather, but if you know what you're doing, it's not a problem.
Your KLX 250 needs to be jetted, if jetted properly it will start easily.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #224
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt hokie View Post
we already have that bike, a klx 250 and a wr 250 r.

If honda wants to sell somthing, put a plate on a CRF 250 X . Yamaha should do the same for the wr 250 and 450.
That is the market segment that gets ignored by the Japanes bikes. The WR 450 F with a factory plate is what i want. Great off road performance with not quite the fininky maintainess and expensive parts of the European bikes.
The CRF250X has a short lifespan for the top end/valves,100 hours is pushing it for taking the top end apart,and it only makes 25 hp with this short lifespan. Not the best candidate for a dual purpose bike.
And then its 250 lbs dry even as a dirt bike,Honda would nudge it to 310lbs if it was street legal. I dont quite see the point on these 250 4 stroke dual purpose bikes,too heavy and slow. I know some people love em to death though.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #225
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Shit, my dualsported and kitted-out XR650R with 3.2 gallons of gas weighed quite a bit less that this little piglet. We used to have a garage full of red bikes. Now they're all orange. Not any kind of brand loyalist, Honda hasn't just made anything worthwhile in quite a while.
I agree,I look at a Honda dealership's collection of bikes............
Not a single one that grabs me,no dual purpose bikes worth a hoot,no good sport touring bikes that arent over priced and over complicated,no 2 stroke dirt bikes at all, The CRF450X's and 250X's my friends have bought have turned out to be short lived heavy bikes. They have lost Honda more customers then they have gained them. Most have gone to KTM's after their X experiences. And some how KTM has continued to sell 2 stroke dirt bikes for how long? Im sure they appreciate the Japanese companies turning so much of the market over to them.

Triumph has sold 15% more product in just the last year while the Japanese are in the doldrums.
So it goes. My 2001 tricked out plated DRZe 400 works just fine.