Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,424
Legalizing an undocumented bike in Mexico?

I stumbled across a sweet old ducati barn find that's been sitting in the back of a moto shop in Mexico for about 20 years and has ZERO documents. The seller wants basically nothing for it and it's in good restorable shape. I'm just wondering if there's any possibility of legalizing it in my name here in Mexico. If not I'll still probably buy it and ship it back to the states as parts. I'll probably just need to find a "creative" lawyer, but thought I'd ask around if anyone has done anything like this first. Also, I'm nowhere close to the border, so taking it out and bringing back in as a US bike on my FM3 isn't really an option.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 10:45 AM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
garrydymond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Go to yoour local "oficina de control Vehicular" and ask them what you will need. I was in one on Friday and a guy was asking about buying a car with no papers. He was told the seller needs to give him an invoice which then needs to be notarized. It didn't sound that complicated but on the other hand the guy just thanked him and walked away.
We are in Mexico and almost anything will be possible.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,216
I've been "migrated" for many years. Put it in my name and in my garage. LOL! Nice find, good to know "they" are still out there somewhere.
So are you moving to Tuxpan/Tuxpam?????
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I've been "migrated" for many years. Put it in my name and in my garage. LOL! Nice find, good to know "they" are still out there somewhere.
So are you moving to Tuxpan/Tuxpam?????
I'm not sure yet. The project and whether or not I'll be working on it are both sort of up in the air at the moment. We'll see.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, now about Mr. Duc from the garage....:)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Ok, now about Mr. Duc from the garage....:)
Enjoy...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769960

Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Get the VIN number and check it here, it's a good start.

http://www2.repuve.gob.mx:8080/ciudadania/servletconsulta

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Sin reporte de robo. Que bueno. Pero ya tengo que registrarla.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
quadman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Factura, Factura, Factura

The key piece of paper is the "Factura" or invoice as we call it in the States. The fellow who has the bike probably has facturas available if he is in business. This becomes the "Title" after it is filled out with the bike description, Vin #, price in pesos and buyers name. The purchase price can be minimal due to the age of the bike.
The next document needed is an importation document called a "Pedimento". Again since the bike is so old this document does not exist. So.... take your new Factura down to the "Transito office" with someone who speaks Spanish and you may get a new "Placa" which we call a license plate in the USA.
Be patient!!!
quadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadman View Post
The key piece of paper is the "Factura" or invoice as we call it in the States. The fellow who has the bike probably has facturas available if he is in business. This becomes the "Title" after it is filled out with the bike description, Vin #, price in pesos and buyers name. The purchase price can be minimal due to the age of the bike.
The next document needed is an importation document called a "Pedimento". Again since the bike is so old this document does not exist. So.... take your new Factura down to the "Transito office" with someone who speaks Spanish and you may get a new "Placa" which we call a license plate in the USA.
Be patient!!!

This

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Just watch out that it was never registered in that particular state in Mexico in the past and a tenencia was paid. If it was you could be on the hook for a multitude of tenencias past due in order to license it.
Having said that, it looks like it was a bike that someone had been riding and then sold cheap, this happened a lot in the old days and was the only way to get a large capacity bike for many, many years because they were just not available here. That didn't change until the very late 90's in any substantial way. It was like the cars, the only luxury big cars you could get for many years were Crown Vics etc... and then things really opened up in the late 90's with many more makes and models becoming available.
Very coooooool find! :)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Well, to answer my own question:
Today my girlfriend took the frame over to the local transito office and played the clueless gringa card. After being told by several DMV robots that without a signed, notarized factura and pedimento it would be impossible to register, she saw the jefe outside smoking a cigarette in the shade under a tree. She put on her best sob story face and went and asked him if there was any possible way to do it. He instructed her to go give a sworn statement before a judge stating that she lost all the documents (even though he knew that wasn't the case). We now have to wait 20 days to process it, but it looks like it all might go through. Due to the age of the bike, even if it had been imported legally, it would not be in any searchable electronic database, so it looks like we may have found just the loophole we were looking for. There's always a way in Mexico...