Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 676
S.e.t. 2012

Well, the 2nd annual South East Trail ride is in the books and it was an absolute blast. The actual route goes from Ormond Beach, FL to Tellico Plains, TN. Last year we rode north from Baldwin, FL which is actually day 2 of the route, but this year we loaded the bikes up in the van and leapfrogged ahead to the end of day 2. The guys were waiting at my house when I got home from work around 3pm and after a quick shower we started driving north and got to the campsite at George L. Smith State Park before dark. It's a great spot with a neat little store/restaurant run by some good ole country folks who stayed open late to fix us up some tasty grub.

The merry band L-R: Rony, Fred, Dave, Dave, Fred.

The organizer and ride leader, Bill, is also the chief photog so he's not in many of the pics.

Dinner at the Mill Pond on our first night.

That's Bill with the stack of styrofoam! A good ending to the first day.

We awoke the next morning with high expectations of getting on the bikes and setting out on our way north through old rural, south central Georgia. We were not disappointed.

Did I mention that this was a killer spot?

We saddled up and prepared to get the show on the road. Dave took the first stint of driving our hotel room on wheels. What a set up!

It wasn't long before Bill had us strung out down some old Georgia dirt roads that have probably looked pretty much the same for the last 150 years. We saw parts of our bordering state that most people have never heard of, let alone ever seen. It was like stepping back in time.

Bill with a good back hand self portrait!

Lots of cool historical things to check out

Pressing on.

Rony's first water crossing. But not his last!

I made it too!

Beautiful scenery. Everything was blooming to usher in spring. The wisteria smelled heavenly.

Rony's constant companion!

Dave got the Airstream docked at our next spot and unloaded his bike and doubled back to hook up with us at Hamburg State Park. Another awesome spot.

Deep in the bowels.

A cool old church that still holds services.

An itinerant preacher throwing down some hell fire and brimstone! I was all ears!

Now that's a pine tree!

Dave, Rony, Me and Fred reflecting on what we've seen so far and anticipating what lies down the road.

Fred performing a systems check and preparing for departure.

Dogwoods going off. More backroad goodness!

A rare shot of the six of us.

To be continued...

Day13 screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 07:20 PM Reason: Format error
Day13 is offline   Reply With Quote