User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Frohlen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Newbie in search 4 tips about gs

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and I love it already!

The tips I need is advise if I should buy a brand new gs or if there is anything that I need to consider about the l8test models. My economy is going to be strained whit a brand new bike but the prices of older gs is ridiculous so I want to se whit u if there is still smarter to maybe buy a 08-09 or pay that extra to get a new one.

Iv been offered a brand new '11 a little cheaper than the '12 (almost 10%) and whit a 50% discount on the BMW original side bags aswell if I buy it :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Frohlen screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 02:43 AM
Frohlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
zoomdude57
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Nothing wrong with a properly maintained previously owned one, especially if already farkled. I really like the power delivery of the new DOHC motor but absolutely no complaints about the prior version either as I have owned both. If going used other than maintenance and recall work take a look at the suspension - if stock and high mileage you will probably want to upgrade so that will need to be factored in.

Nothing wrong going new either, but plan on spending more for all the goodies you will want to add.
2011 KTM RC8R
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
zoomdude57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Frohlen OP
Adventurer

Yea i now the goodies will be more but even if I buy a older one I need to buy the goodies :) but then I can take a little at the time as I work :)

All I need to do is sell my old bike and some more to see how mutch I can pay cash and take finanse on the rest :) and if those '11 are sold I'll prob take a '12 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Hd
Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Sounds like you really want the new one, so go for it. You'll only regret it if you don't buy one. They are really tough to wear out so plan on keeping it awhile, the panache of a well broken in one is a fun goal.
Enjoy.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Sounds like you have nearly made up your mind on getting the new one.
Just watch those farkels.
The $$ can really add up quick.
That's why I prefer buying used.
Most of the stuff I want is already there and I pay a fraction of what the PO did.
The money I save, isn't really saved anyway.
I end up spending it on camping gear...etc.

Good luck and welcome to the Asylum.
Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
Sounds like you really want the new one, so go for it. You'll only regret it if you don't buy one. They are really tough to wear out so plan on keeping it awhile, the panache of a well broken in one is a fun goal.
Enjoy.
+1
These motors seem to get better with mileage. Starting from new and applying your own "patina" is the way to go if you can.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Frohlen OP
Adventurer

Haha yea but the bikes that iv found on here that are around '08 is only about 20% cheaper than a brand new one. And new is always new whit warranty and everything.
And finally when I realize wtf farkled means I can say that most of the used bikes are stock. Maybe some small things but no gps no extra. Only side and top bags are included and those I get 50% discount on. And I'm going to bargain and see if I can get the bars and alu covers to protect the engine aswell whit the discount ;)

Even my parents agreed that a new one is better than a used whit the prices today. :)

Old 03-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
Enjoy.
Yep. The used ones are no bargain; they're worth what they go for but they don't save much.

The flip side of it is, the GS is one of a few bikes that really WILL hold its value. And in this case, for solid reasons based on durable engineering and performance - not emotional reaction, as in some other (unmentioned) makes.

So, buy with confidence - even if the price is a bit stiff. If there's a market in the future at ALL for cycles, yours will keep its worth.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Frohlen OP
Adventurer

Yea i think aswell that gs will always be a solid bike :) and I'm single got my own house. Car etc. Worked hard and payed everything whit my own money and I'm only 25 so iv got plenty of time to enjoy my gs and work of the debt.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
DGraham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
I could have got a new one

But man, look around and you'll find a deal. If you even have a hint that a new one stretches the budget, don't do it. You're going to find that the purchase price of the bike is just the tip of the iceberg. I bought an '09 with just 3500 miles fully farkled for $9000.00 less than t it all would have been new. I don't know about you, but I've got better things to do with $9000 than to drive the first 3500 miles on a new bike!
DGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
agir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I bought a 2009 GS last year, with 1500 miles, looked and felt brand new. It still does. People didn't believe I bought it used. Just make sure whomever rode iit did the maintenance at a respectable place. Since you'll have to spend money on the accessories, at least you should save some on the bike, if you can.

Agi
agir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
Frohlen OP
Adventurer

Yea it's true that u can find a decent used bike but iv cheakt now and a litle farkled '08 whit 15000-25000 miles on it is around 19000$ :/ that is what most of the 08-09 is in prices here in Sweden :/

Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #13
Frohlen OP
Adventurer

And in a way idd like to have a new bike as a fresh start that I can customize the way I want and discover myself all those small things that u change on the bikes :) I don't now anyone that has a gs so it will be a bit trail and error but that is a part of getting to now the bike :)

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Frohlen OP
Adventurer

Iv got another question. :) BMW engine protection bars Or is it smarter to go whit after market like touratech ? I think touratech looks stronger.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
stin987
R1200GSA

Oddometer: 220
Buy a new used on

One warning about the r1200 GSA is that you might not ever drive your car again. Its just so addicting.
I say buy a new used bike with low miles and all the adventure cases installed. This is what I did and it saved my a couple grand.
stin987 is offline   Reply With Quote