Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
The scooter bug bit me, hard

Ever since starting to restore my 1985 Yamaha CA-50 back to her factory state, the DR650 has been getting neglected. I want another scooter...bad. It started with looking at Vespas. Specifically the GTS 300 Super. I will be starting a new job within the year, that is very close to home, and I will not need to bring my car into work daily (I have to drive some clients around most days, and the DR doesn't get ridden much). I figured a GTS 300 super would look good, as well as perform well. The bigger engine would even allow for some highway duty. Then I saw Piaggio...

The BV 500, is all of the GTS + more power, bigger wheels and tires, and still has the Italian flare. Its not as good looking at the GTS, but the touring ability makes up for that. Then the Japanese scooters started to appear in the YouTube searches.

The Yamaha Majesty or T-Max would open me up to full touring ability, be comfortable, and sporty (T-Max). I wouldn't need to buy a top case for most of the trips I would do, as the under seat storage of the Majesty would do. I like the dual front brakes of the T-Max and the twin (its probably smoother right? I mean I'm coming off a DR650, everything is smoother). The majesty is a bit cheaper, has more storage and looks more comfortable for touring.

So far I've only owned Suzukis, so i looked at the burgmans. The 650 is well out of my price range, especially new. The 400 is pretty nice, good storage, dual front brakes, but is a bit pricey new. I think the Burgman 400 is the best of all the options as far as the maxi's are concerned. Plus there is a ton of support out there for it.

I'm not quite sure what I want to do. originally is was a small scoot with a big engine to put around town and do short trips (150mi max) as i have my DR650 if I want to go further. But then I started to think about the girl, and I know she will be more comfortable on a maxi scooter compared to the DR. I was leaning towards the Italian brands as I am an Italian-American, and would love to show my grandfather the new versions of the scoots he used to fix and ride in the old country. If i get a maxi scooter, I could end up replacing the DR all together on road.

I also thought about getting a Maxi Scooter and a Vespa restoration project to have the best of everything

Any advice out there? I've been looking in the 5k-7k range, prefer new, wouldn't mind 2-3 year old.

...end or ramble...

planemanx15 screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 06:38 AM Reason: Time machine
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote