User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
bigmd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
77 xs750

hey guys been browsing craigslist for a while in search of a classic bike.well today i found a 77 Yamaha xs750 that runs but needs shift forks.is this a job that will cost alot and require removal of engine?he nonly wants 350 bucks and is in the next town over from me.thanks
bigmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,053
I'd pass.

You will be digging into the trans, and most likely will be splitting the cases by the time you are done. Sounds a little over your head right now.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
bigmd OP
Adventurer

yeah i figured it was a big job.thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,181
and um, usually if someone has enough skill to ACCURATELY diagnose a problem, they'd have fixed it by now. The savage that BENT the shift forks probably has destroyed lot's of other things on the bike too. Walk on by.... unless you need a hobby. Buy it for $100 and dive in
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
bigmd OP
Adventurer

Yea it would be a hobby , currently workin on a 64 ct90 but thinking I would like something for the street.i emailed the guy but he hasn't got back to. Me
Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
Can you even buy shift forks for it?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #7
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmd View Post
Yea it would be a hobby , currently workin on a 64 ct90 but thinking I would like something for the street.i emailed the guy but he hasn't got back to. Me
I call it Flakeslist for a reason... I've been completely through the XS750 engine, albeit 32 years ago. Parts are available.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
bigmd OP
Adventurer

thanks for replies huys but he never got back to me so on to the next one.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmd View Post
thanks for replies huys but he never got back to me so on to the next one.
The old XS11's are a rocking UJM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,573
You don't say WHICH XS750... the D and 2D (7500 rpm redline) had "issues" with trhe transmission from the get-go and were fixed (eventually) under warranty. They would jump out of second gear, coming up or down - it was put down to a bad batch of gears, though that might have been a PR smokescreen for a poor design.
The later (last) model 750 triple was the E model (9000 rpm redline) and theoretically didn't have this problem - but if they did, were also swiftly dealt with by dealers.
Perhaps this one was never offered up for its factory-fix? However, I doubt that even Yamaha would entertain a 35-year-old warranty claim.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
bigmd OP
Adventurer

doesnt say in ad.bike is DOHC 750
Old 04-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
You don't say WHICH XS750... the D and 2D (7500 rpm redline) had "issues" with trhe transmission from the get-go and were fixed (eventually) under warranty. They would jump out of second gear, coming up or down - it was put down to a bad batch of gears, though that might have been a PR smokescreen for a poor design.
The later (last) model 750 triple was the E model (9000 rpm redline) and theoretically didn't have this problem - but if they did, were also swiftly dealt with by dealers.
Perhaps this one was never offered up for its factory-fix? However, I doubt that even Yamaha would entertain a 35-year-old warranty claim.
My riding bud bought a brand new XS750D in '77. Three trips around the US, and every moment it wasn't snowing, it had 73,000 miles on it in May 1984 when he died an untimely (Non-MC related) death. Transmission worked fine the whole way. His must've been a GOOD design, lol. Seriously though, I think it's a case of not being robust enough for abusive riders, (compared to other brands) whereas, when operated normally, work fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Seriously though, I think it's a case of not being robust enough for abusive riders, (compared to other brands) whereas, when operated normally, work fine.
As I have ridden a coupe XS750ies up to now: No, it's not a good design, as the undercut of the gear wheels of 2nd and 3rd gear both have a too shallow angle and tend to wear down the cogs and round out the holes on the neighbouring gear.

This problem mostly occurs, when you do a lot of backroad scratching, where you're mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear and are accelerating hard.

Funny thing is, you can do the so called "trap-door" mod and cut out a bit of the underside of the casting then you can change the gears in situ.

But seriously, if you don't have a very special fancy, I would walk past an XS750 nowadays and much rather get a Triumph Trident 750 or 900, if you want a triple for touring or get a nice twin or four.

Cheers,
Greg