ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #46996
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
Did someone say RACE??!!
I'm in.
I'm out...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #46997
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
I'm out...
Yeah, I'm still new enough that I'd get above my abilities very quickly if I try to race. At this point I'd simply prefer to keep riding/exploring like yesterday.

Ask me again at the end of the summer though... things may be different.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #46998
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 533
I just remember trying to keep up with Motodirtlover pretty much right after be busted his back up real bad. I still had no chance. Plus Robxxx will probably show up and then my 640 is embarrassed to be seen with me on her back.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #46999
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Yeah, I'm still new enough that I'd get above my abilities very quickly if I try to race. At this point I'd simply prefer to keep riding/exploring like yesterday.

Ask me again at the end of the summer though... things may be different.
You want to ride again on thurday? I have a decent loop in mind of Danville/Coshocton.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #47000
palandor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I've got an xt225 and it's set up for dirt trails and gravel/paved roads. The only downside I see to it is that it doesn't have a lot of extra power.
Let me explain. It has power, enough power for me to do anything -I the rider- am capable of, and will keep doing for me whatever I ask of it on trails. But it doesn't have that holy-shnikes-batman, I'm-in-trouble acceleration and bursts of power that my dr350se had or my dl650 has.

Otherwise, for me the thing is a lightweight near-indesctructible tank with great seat-height and great flick-ability for my size. (5'9", 34 inseam, about 155 lbs))

I've heard it said that the suspension is lacking (soft?) but the bike was never created to be an advanced or hardcore off-road bike, so that's ok. I haven't noticed any problems with suspension.

Wet Weight, with kenda k760 tires, a 1530 Pelican topcase, skidplate, and reinforced barkbusters, seems to be about 285-295 lbs. (looked at advertised dry weight, added fluid weights, added other weights...)

I rode it at Tar Hollow about a month ago with advfilmer and a few others. Worked great! (although I'm changing the gear ratio from 3.625 down to 3.33 for a little more road ability and a little less low-speed technical trail ability)

And oh, the xt225 is a 6-speed. yaay!

-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
So I think I've reached maximum frustration with my current stable. The CRF is going to be ridiculously expensive to get a front wheel/tire combo for and she's still HEAVY. For now, it will be the road bike, but I'm betting I sell it before fall.

Any opinions on the XT225? I've only talked to raving fans. I'm looking for the downside to this bike. Obviously I will most likely want something more at some point, but I want something I can ride at Tar Hollow, Wayne, Danville and enjoy myself. The TTR, even if by some miracle I get it titled & road legal, is still just a 125 and I'm only going to want to trailer it places.

I need something I can actually ride somewhere to play. I found a cheap one for $1200 with only 1800 miles on it on CL.

In case you wondered:

TTR125XT225CRF230
Seat Height31.731.931.7
Weight172238276

KTM 250 XCF weighs in at just 220. Seat height of over 38". One other RFS has lowered hers 4". I might be able to pull that off eventually.

Or we need to stuff some motor in a TTR frame......

I think I'm going to start a company that sells serious, tiny trail bikes for girls and they won't be f'ing pink. (that's my other bitch for the day, finding MX pants that aren't pink or flowery.....really? really??)

sorry, I'm cranky today. I quit facebook and I've got to rant to somebody.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #47001
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
You want to ride again on thurday? I have a decent loop in mind of Danville/Coshocton.
Got your PM, sorry for the delayed response...

I'm pretty sure I can do that Thursday. I've got stuff to get done around the house and around the bike, but I should be able to accomplish that junk in my other free time.

What time are you thinking? I'd prefer to be home in the neighborhood of 6:30 like last time.

Anyone else??? Danville ride??? This Thursday???
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #47002
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
Good stuff as usual Luke. Looks like a missed a fun one.

anyone get a GPS track of the ride? I recognized a lot of the trails/roads in the video, but not all of it.
My Zumo 550 died (once again) this past Friday. So no I didn't get the tracks. :(
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #47003
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
My Zumo 550 died (once again) this past Friday. So not I didn't get the tracks. :(
I think its time to move on
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #47004
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Got your PM, sorry for the delayed response...

I'm pretty sure I can do that Thursday. I've got stuff to get done around the house and around the bike, but I should be able to accomplish that junk in my other free time.

What time are you thinking? I'd prefer to be home in the neighborhood of 6:30 like last time.

Anyone else??? Danville ride??? This Thursday???
I wasn't sure if it sent...my computer/internet has been wonky as of late...

I would like to roll kind of early so I can do office work in the evening, I rode from my place to Conesville, rode around down there some and came back through the danville roads and it was close to 200 miles and I spent about 5 hours doing it, I left a lot of roads unexplored around AEP and only rode up bat's nest and then worked mt way home.

I don't know where the best place to meet would be, if you come up 62, it would probobly be best to meet in Newcastle.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #47005
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
I think its time to move on
Funny you mentioned that...I told Garmin the same thing since I've had five failures with the 550 since I bought it. :(

I've dumped over $1,500 into it too! Original purchase with XM antenna, cradles for 4 motorcycles, $150 a pop for each repair done to it!

So Garmin sold me a 665 for $50 bucks instead of repairing the 550 POS once again... I hope the 665 is way better!
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #47006
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Funny you mentioned that...I told Garmin the same thing since I've had five failures with the 550 since I bought it. :(

I've dumped over $1,500 into it too! Original purchase with XM antenna, cradles for 4 motorcycles, $150 a pop for each repair done to it!

So Garmin sold me a 665 for $50 bucks instead of repairing the 550 POS once again... I hope the 665 is way better!
I have both, and I miss the side buttons of the 550, but otherwise I prefer the 665.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #47007
danielst
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Glad to hear it Bob. Oh and his name is John (Mtnbiker), seldom posts here but may show up tonight. Byro rocked the GS down some stuff I was slipping and falling in on the 950. I can only imagine he is at home asleep now. BigOhio looked uber happy on the new play toy. Good to see old friends and recent acquaintances show up. Felt bad for Travis and the GS650 breaking the cowling, but at least he was close to home.
I got home, unloaded and washed the bike, the gear, myself..... It was a good ride and I'll start looking at photos and video after dinner.
Going to look at a WR450 with a dual sport kit already fitted tomorrow... my riding style and the GS650 aren't exactly compatible in the true off road stuff. I like to go faster than it does and that usually gets me into trouble. Once I get a more capable bike, we'll have to get you out here on your 426 and I can show you some more hard core trails and some single track.

Travis
danielst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #47008
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielst View Post
Going to look at a WR450 with a dual sport kit already fitted tomorrow... my riding style and the GS650 aren't exactly compatible in the true off road stuff. I like to go faster than it does and that usually gets me into trouble. Once I get a more capable bike, we'll have to get you out here on your 426 and I can show you some more hard core trails and some single track.

Travis
unfortunately the 426 is still so far above my riding ability I'm better off on the KLR or 950. Since it looks like it will never sell for close to the amount it's worth I'm waiting for some extra $$$ to appear so I can try some mods to make it tight trail compatible. I'd love to find a bike like BigOhio's that has a better power band and magic button.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #47009
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:

Sounds like a good deal for the 665, but you still have to buy all the extra cradles and probably rewire them as I doubt they have the same plug as the 550.
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #47010
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
Sounds like a good deal for the 665, but you still have to buy all the extra cradles and probably rewire them as I doubt they have the same plug as the 550.
Yep, but I was tired of dumping money into the 550. :( I tried to get them to replace everything but the best I could do was this...

indypup screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 06:12 PM