ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #62326
thumpididump
MacGyver
 
thumpididump's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 2,387
That's not an add-on. It's adjustable. Britania Composites

Looks like it's on the lower setting.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Nice but why did you put your add-on windsheild so low over the top of the other?
__________________
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." --Tony Soprano

FY-YFF
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #62327
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post

don't get me wrong - i love the european bikes (especially the aprilia r/sxv's), but i am not feeling i am missing much w/the way my dr650 is set up. if i were racing, then i'd riding an sxv550... (and if i had the cash, that rxv550 wouldn't still be f/s in the fleamarket; but i'd still be keeping my dr650.)
The R/SXV's are in a whole other class then the 690/630's. We're talking 10 - 15 HP more and about 30 lbs lighter. Of course that fire breathing HP comes at a cost. My SXV popped a motor at 2500 miles. Oh and I would never consider the SXV for racing. It'd be my KX450F all the way. In fact I set it up to do some sumo racing but then other things came up.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #62328
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Generally true, but of course depends who's riding!
How much faster or slower someone else is, that's totally irrelevant to me. The one truth is that there is ALWAYS someone faster then you. The plain and simple fact, I can easily run a MUCH faster pace on the road with my 690 and 17's then my DR with 17/21's. I can also run a faster pace on the road with the 18/21's on the 690 then I can the DR. Off road the 690 with 18/21's is easily much faster then the DR with me riding them.

The DR is what it is. A good, dependable, inexpensive large DS. You can pick them up used for next to nothing, aftermarket support is huge, and the knowledge base for the bike is enormous. You really can't go wrong buying one.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #62329
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,859
ungeheuer - Outstanding beast. Interested on the BC screen as it's on my wish list - but pricey. Nicely done
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #62330
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled
 
GaThumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
Oddometer: 509
OK, I'll confess, I would love to drink the orange koolaid again. If I had the money to buy a 690 I think it would be an awesome bike. Maybe someday? My 450EXC was really impressive and the design and quality was spot on. Top notch components from the factory and the only thing I did was add a skid plate. (I bought mine used with the suspension already done)

However, for a measly $3200 I bought my 2009 DR650 with 500 miles on it. It's a solid, simple design, and fits my churrent requirements very well. I love to explore and every ride is an adventure. I'm not as interested in super technical off road any more, and the big DR does street, dirt roads, forest service and jeep trails equally well.

Now I love the process of tuning and modifying so my DR was a Blank canvas and I'll be adding and changing it to better suit me. I've already done the suspension and added an FCR carb. Will be adding the GSXR muffler to the DG mid pipe to replace the DG O can soon, and next is skid plate and hand guards. Incremental costs amortized over time will probably be Under $5000, less than the cost of a new DR650 and half the cost of the 690! I'm a happy camper.
__________________
Dirtly: 2009 Suzuki DR650SE Road Sofa: 2001 Yamaha (ad)Venture 1300
Dirtlier: 1999 Suzuki DR350SE Old Sport: 1979 Suzuki GS1000E

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #62331
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle
 
dec181966's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NorCal in the vines
Oddometer: 158
VERY NICE!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Now that I got the black Compost Bin installed.... I'm pretty sure I'm done with the farkles..........




...the only good thing to say about a Safari tank is this: Its big. Rode 300km/s without refuelling today - thats never happened before. Still plenty left in the tank..............
__________________
"I dodge the grave most everyday"
dec181966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #62332
Pauliic
LV
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Riga, LV
Oddometer: 7
Almost done after complete rebuild :)

Pauliic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #62333
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliic View Post
Almost done after complete rebuild :)
Pauliic: Wow, Riga is a long way from here.
Welcome to the asylum.
__________________
2004 DR650: 60,466 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #62334
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
OK, I'll confess, I would love to drink the orange koolaid again. If I had the money to buy a 690 I think it would be an awesome bike. Maybe someday? My 450EXC was really impressive and the design and quality was spot on. Top notch components from the factory and the only thing I did was add a skid plate. (I bought mine used with the suspension already done)

However, for a measly $3200 I bought my 2009 DR650 with 500 miles on it. It's a solid, simple design, and fits my churrent requirements very well. I love to explore and every ride is an adventure. I'm not as interested in super technical off road any more, and the big DR does street, dirt roads, forest service and jeep trails equally well.

Now I love the process of tuning and modifying so my DR was a Blank canvas and I'll be adding and changing it to better suit me. I've already done the suspension and added an FCR carb. Will be adding the GSXR muffler to the DG mid pipe to replace the DG O can soon, and next is skid plate and hand guards. Incremental costs amortized over time will probably be Under $5000, less than the cost of a new DR650 and half the cost of the 690! I'm a happy camper.

Heck, I picked up my heavily farkled DR (came with a TM 40 carb and full FMF system for starters)for less then half of a what a new DR goes for.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #62335
Pauliic
LV
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Riga, LV
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Pauliic: Wow, Riga is a long way from here.
Welcome to the asylum.
thanks for welcome

will keep you up to date
Pauliic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #62336
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: md
Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliic View Post
thanks for welcome

will keep you up to date
a beautiful country you have there - i spent a year in riga; i left at the end of last june.

awaiting pics of your bike all back together!

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #62337
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Pauliic: Wow, Riga is a long way from here.
Still within CocaCola's reach.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #62338
epix1718
Studly Adventurer
 
epix1718's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Michigan/Indiana border
Oddometer: 706
Insurace

Almost time to renew my cycle insurance.. just curious what other DR650 owners are paying.

I'm currently with Progressive here in Michigan and have the following on my 96 DR650

Bodily Injury Liabililty: $20K/40K
Property Damage Liability: $10K
$1K Comp/Collision Deduct
$3000 Accessory Coverage.

Total comes to $93/year, but living in the great State of Michigan where we have a high percentage of uninsured motorists an additional fee of $145! is added on to the premium to help those that are uninsured :s_mad

Thus a total of $238/year for the DR650..

What you guys paying? Anyone in Michigan know if if there is a way around the MCCA fee, especially if I am already paying the MCCA fee on my car insurance?
__________________
97 Suzuki DR650
2011 Ural Gear Up 2WD
98 Honda XR250R
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #62339
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer
 
sagedrifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Alabama
Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Almost time to renew my cycle insurance.. just curious what other DR650 owners are paying.

I'm currently with Progressive here in Michigan and have the following on my 96 DR650

Bodily Injury Liabililty: $20K/40K
Property Damage Liability: $10K
$1K Comp/Collision Deduct
$3000 Accessory Coverage.

Total comes to $93/year, but living in the great State of Michigan where we have a high percentage of uninsured motorists an additional fee of $145! is added on to the premium to help those that are uninsured :s_mad

Thus a total of $238/year for the DR650..

What you guys paying? Anyone in Michigan know if if there is a way around the MCCA fee, especially if I am already paying the MCCA fee on my car insurance?
That's close to what I pay for the same coverage with Allstate in Alabama. I think its $240 or so. The minimum coverage was $105 with no injury or collision. The $240 was the best they offered.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #62340
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,859
Don't come to San Diego, Kalifornia, where 20 - 30 thousand uninsured motorists cross into the county each day. Add those to the one's already here.... Plus, I have to carry 100K/300K etc plus a million$ umbrella policy in case anything happens so I don't lose my house and all my savings.

I'd love to pay your bill. Not in addition to mine, of course

Make sure your ins company has the correct annual mileage figure in their calculations - it's all about exposure. Mine was pretty good working with me since I have the DR and the Strom but I'm the only one that rides 'em. They gave me the minimum annual mileage for each bike so that helped a bit.

esurance is now owned by Allstate so some heavy backing with possibly lower rates due to the online management...?
__________________
www.dualsportmoto.com
2005 DR650 2003 DRZ-250
2013 HD Road King

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014