Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #31
captainsin
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Another satisfied Vermont DMV customer! Thx green mountain state! Enjoy the revenue!
captainsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #32
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
This bears looking into for me- I bought a 1975 DT175 last fall that has no title, and to get it legal in AK I would have to do the bonded title thing- BUT the AK DMV won't touch it if the value of the bike is under $500. I paid all of $200 for the 'lil bike and if I can register it in VT and then transfer ownership and title to Ak that would be a lot easier than having it appraised and bonded.

Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 483
You'll never be able to title that thing. I can take it off your hands as a courtesy; just let me know where to pick it up

Seriously, though, that'll be a piece of cake through Vermont: send in the form with a bill of sale and a check, and a plate will magically appear in your mailbox a week or two later.

It's under 300cc, so it could be a 2012 for all they care--no title required. Alaska should title it based on your Vermont registration, though they might need to be reminded that Vermont doesn't title <300cc bikes. I always had to remind Colorado, but it was never a problem once the clerk looked in the big book behind the counters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick View Post
This bears looking into for me- I bought a 1975 DT175 last fall that has no title, and to get it legal in AK I would have to do the bonded title thing- BUT the AK DMV won't touch it if the value of the bike is under $500. I paid all of $200 for the 'lil bike and if I can register it in VT and then transfer ownership and title to Ak that would be a lot easier than having it appraised and bonded.

der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #34
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
You'll never be able to title that thing. I can take it off your hands as a courtesy; just let me know where to pick it up

Seriously, though, that'll be a piece of cake through Vermont: send in the form with a bill of sale and a check, and a plate will magically appear in your mailbox a week or two later.

It's under 300cc, so it could be a 2012 for all they care--no title required. Alaska should title it based on your Vermont registration, though they might need to be reminded that Vermont doesn't title <300cc bikes. I always had to remind Colorado, but it was never a problem once the clerk looked in the big book behind the counters.
Neat!

Then all I have to do is finish restoring it and making it road worthy again...
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #35
ducwad
Livin' the dash

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
They can write you up for not having transfered the title within thirty days which is a legal requirement. Just like they can write you up for having expired tabs. In Washington, you can be fined $25 on the 31st day(16th for in state title transfer) with $2 a day thereafter up to a maximum of $100. The way states & localities groveling for revenue these days you may or may not get a ticket. At the same time, it's a procedural thing, not a moving violation so even if you did get fined it still wouldn't hit your driving record. And I'll bet that you'd get hit here at the licensing office in Washington for the $100 fine when you wait a year to transfer title. My bikes cost about $50 a year to register so it's cheaper to transfer title on time. Since the max fine is $100 it might make sense to wait a year on more expensive vehicles.

I always wait about 28 days to transfer out state titles. May as well get the "free" month, eh?

In my case the guy gave me a written warning. My situation was a little different though. I was working in California at the time so the bike was down there for a while and I'd just ridden it home a couple of weeks prior.

Disclaimer: All states vary.
I have purchased and not immediately registered at least 3 motorcycles in WA. These were 'collectibles' destined only for the garage. When I went to register them 3-5 yrs later, to get a title so I could sell them, I did not have to pay a fine. The DOL offices are privately operated and at least the one I use has never bothered me about it.
1992 Ducati 900 Superlight
ducwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #36
Kdog22
Sammich eater

Oddometer: 89
Thread bump.

Just came accross this thread during some heavy internet searching and brought me here. I'm glad i found this info.

As someone else had asked, have any of you guys done this and transferred the registration to their own state? You still don't get a title do you? It's just a proof of ownership/ plates kind of thing?

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
NVFireFighter
Load and Return.....

Oddometer: 8
I just did this with a 1975 CT110....worked like a charm,no questions asked.

The state your looking to title it in HAS to follow the Vermont registration rules. Vermont uses the above mentioned method on older than 15 and under 300cc's rule which whatever state your trying to use must follow. If your state requires a title,mine is Nevada and they do,the state will issue you a new(insert state here) title based on the Vermont reg.

The DMV here knows the deal and are good with it.
NVFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #38
Axel
n00b

Oddometer: 1
1986 kl250-d3

bike is not yet running and has had all lights and instruments removed by past owners.
also, the past few owners have bought and sold it without the title for use as a dirt-bike in NY state.
includes a handwritten, signed, and dated bill of sale from most recent untitled owner.

there is a mileage space on the form(but there is no odometer)?
pick up a used odometer or leave blank?
or wait to register once fully refurbished and road worthy (may be a while as many other projects demand attention) ?
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #39
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I haven't tried this yet. Indiana has a few different ways one can claim title, which I think takes a lot of time and paperwork. (Trying to ting last known owner and aquire the title before retitling to me.)

I haven't looked into Vermont yet, my bike is a 76 750. I'm a little confused reading this threadif it has to both 15 years old and under 300 cc's.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #40
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog22 View Post
Thread bump.

Just came accross this thread during some heavy internet searching and brought me here. I'm glad i found this info.

As someone else had asked, have any of you guys done this and transferred the registration to their own state? You still don't get a title do you? It's just a proof of ownership/ plates kind of thing?

Thanks

My son inlaw is an investigator for the Texas Highway Patrol, gets involved in auto theft cases that cross a lot of county lines. I was discussing this with him the other day because I found a little CT 90 with no title but a bill of sale. I asked about the places that title it when you transfer ownership. He said in Texas it is considered illegal, washing the title was his term. He said you are supposed to bond around it. I have no idea what bonding cost and havent looked any further yet. I think he told me you only had to hold the bond for two years. Doesnt mean people dont do it and come out fine, just relaying a conversation.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #41
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I found this form on Indiana's website https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=4836 which you will probably need this one as well https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=8281

I'm going to at least talk to them tomorrow and see if I can get the name of the registered owner.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #42
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
California has all sorts of bizarre DMV laws, and it still isn't a big deal here. We can get charged past registration for bikes that are disassembled and packed in boxes in a garage. But to get a title for an old, untitled bike (or car) is quite easy.

First, you go to the DMV with an "application for title" (I think it is form 137, iirc). Fill it out with the VIN, purchase price, etc. Pay the registration. They give you a 90 day temporary permit, and a form to take to the CHP for inspection. Bring the bike, car, or even just the frame and engine, and they verify the VIN. Supposedly any cop/leo can do this as well, but the CHP is convenient. You can ride it with the temporary permit, so you don't even need to tow it.

The CHP checks to see if the VIN is stolen, Salvaged, etc, and then fills out the form, which you take back to the DMV. They give you the plates, and the title comes 6 weeks later.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #43
MachOnePilot
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It Works!

IT WORKED!! Just got my plate and sticker here in Florida from Vermont. Thanks to the forum for providing this info. Now to see if I can make it to step 2 and convert this Vermont registration to a Florida title. Bike I am now able to ride: 1979 CX500 Custom
MachOnePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #44
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
I used ITS title in 2008 when I needed a title for my EX500 in because I wanted to ride it sometime this decade and Indiana’s methods of obtaining a title could have taken years. At that time, they licensed it in Maine. I rode on that plate for a year (probably shouldn’t have) and then transferred it. I went to the BMV and they questioned it a bit and wanted to know why it was registered in Maine. I told them I had been pink-slipped by my school corp (true), lost my job (untrue), and took the clothes on my back and my trusty EX500 to Maine to become a deep-sea fisherman but found out I got seasick easily (also untrue). I was going to tell her I had contracted scurvy, but it was the same woman who once helped me get a new license after losing it on a cruise ship and I was sporting a "toothbrush"-style moustache for that. I didn't know if I could pull it off with a straight face.

At the time, I paid $150-ish through ITS but it has evidently gone up over the past four years.
2003 Ford Focus SVT

Sir Not Appearing screwed with this post 05-08-2012 at 03:11 PM
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #45
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375

Another satisfied customer! Thanks vermont.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote