Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #62341
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
You need a riding snowblower!

Lex
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #62342
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,699
I average 50 mpg on both DR650's.
The 2002 is completely stock.
The 2003 has a Dyno-jet kit installed, airbox mod, stock exhaust.
Maybe you have other issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
So, i just finished all the mods I wanted to do on my 2000 DR that I picked up in January. last one was exhaust, intake, and jet kit. Got a GSXR pipe, short non-titanium version, along with Jesse's mid-pipe and stock header. Have K&N filter, with top of air box removed. Got dynojet kit from jesse, and installed 160 jet. Fuel screw was about 2 turns out, which i changed to 2.25 before leaving work today as it was running a slight bit rough. 2.25 was better.

My setup before all this was stock carb with aftermarket fuel screw (not sure how many turns out it was), stock airbox and filter, stock header, unknown aftermarket slip on with integral mid-pipe.

I ran out of fuel on primary after 70 miles (with screw 2 turns out for 65 of those miles). Really surprised me as before i was getting 95-105 on primary. Switched to reserve and found nearest gas station. Filled up and it was 72 miles on 2.5 gallons, filled up to the bottom of the filler neck. Putting mileage around 29 mpg. I was getting around 40 mph before. This is pretty much all slab right now, varrying from 35 to 60 mph, commuting to work.

So i figured i would lose a bit of mileage, but not a 30% drop. Is this normal, or if not, any ideas how to improve this? I see people talking about mid to high 40s on here, so figuring something ain't right.

Thanks much.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #62343
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
My goal was to assemble a better (if not so slick to behold) DS ride than the XT for less than XT money. And just quietly...... I'm pretty bloody happy with the result .
As you should be. Minus the nice BC fairing/windscreen & just an IMS for fuel, mine has much the same equipment - just not as good looking as yours.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #62344
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,257
Quote:
Ahhh, Albie,

My friend’s experience differs from yours. His is a 2007 KTM 690SM.

“KTM recommends 6K for oil changes.”
He said his manual specifies oil changes at 3,000 miles.

“An oil change is an oil change, while the 690 does have one more oil filter it certainly doesn't take 3 times longer to change it.”
He says, in addition to two oil filters, he cleans two screens. Close enough to three times as long when you include cleaning and reinstalling the screens.

Now, where’s that laughing face? Oh yeah, right here:

Regarding valve clearance adjustment: Since his KTM 690SM has shim adjustment, and one clearance was tight last time, he had to remove a rocker arm shaft to raise the rocker arm to get at the shim. Then, after seeing what size the shim was, he had to call the local KTM dealer to see if there was the next thinner shim in stock, which there was. So he jumps on his other bike, rides to the KTM dealer, buys the shim, returns home, installs the shim, reassembles the bike. If he had to order the shim, that would have added days to his valve adjustment.

I guarantee you it took him at least three times as long to do his valve adjustment as me, who never left the garage and didn't have to use the phone.

You’ll also note there were costs for fuel and for the shim, for him. No cost for me when I did the work on my DR, except for the beer afterward.

I'll re-use another of you quotes here: ”Actually, you're wrong.” Hmmm…. Need another laughing face to go with that:

WTH, here’s another two for ya:

Regarding the valve lash inspection interval, my friend checks his at 5k miles, apparently far sooner than KTM recommends, which he says is 6,200 miles. I thought 5k was the recommended interval, I only know my friend's experience. I check my valves at 14k miles intervals. Nearly 3x difference, for us.

And: I’m surprised you have any problem accessing the DR’s valve clearance adjustment, I don’t. Use ProCycle's feeler gauges and valve adjustment tool, they make the work easy.

Lex
Can't comment on a 07 690 SM, but then we're talking about a 690 Enduro which the manual states 6K miles per oil change. Which as I said is a moot point I change both the same intervals. In fact just did a change yesterday on the 690 and it was around 30 minutes including the warm up time before draining the oil, and the warm up time after the change for the final level check which is 10 minutes of that 30. A lot of that time was also just waiting for all the oil to drain. I can pop out the screens, hit em with a blast of air and pop them back in while the oil is still dripping out of the drain hole. Your buddies ineptitude as a mechanic hardly reflects on the bike. Here's your smilie...

Well gee, ya got me there, I guess if I do have to change the shim it's gonna take me longer if I don't have it in my kit. And of course at $1.75 I'm sure most DR owners would balk at such a huge cost in maintenance. Oh look, here's that smilie again.

While you have a buddy to compare with, I ACTUALLY have both bikes that I ride and maintain. That's how I KNOW you're wrong. New smilie for ya.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #62345
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
That is a beautiful commute, you're very lucky, I'm jealous.

Can you post a pic of that commute in January with your DR in the foreground like in the bottom pic?

Lex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Yeah, like this; well except for the missing DR.

Pretty much.

On a more positive note, it's supposed to hit 18C (64F) next week, the driveway's clear, time to insure the bikes!
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #62346
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
So, i just finished all the mods I wanted to do on my 2000 DR that I picked up in January. last one was exhaust, intake, and jet kit. Got a GSXR pipe, short non-titanium version, along with Jesse's mid-pipe and stock header. Have K&N filter, with top of air box removed. Got dynojet kit from jesse, and installed 160 jet. Fuel screw was about 2 turns out, which i changed to 2.25 before leaving work today as it was running a slight bit rough. 2.25 was better.

My setup before all this was stock carb with aftermarket fuel screw (not sure how many turns out it was), stock airbox and filter, stock header, unknown aftermarket slip on with integral mid-pipe.

I ran out of fuel on primary after 70 miles (with screw 2 turns out for 65 of those miles). Really surprised me as before i was getting 95-105 on primary. Switched to reserve and found nearest gas station. Filled up and it was 72 miles on 2.5 gallons, filled up to the bottom of the filler neck. Putting mileage around 29 mpg. I was getting around 40 mph before. This is pretty much all slab right now, varrying from 35 to 60 mph, commuting to work.

So i figured i would lose a bit of mileage, but not a 30% drop. Is this normal, or if not, any ideas how to improve this? I see people talking about mid to high 40s on here, so figuring something ain't right.

Thanks much.
A properly set up jet kit installation will return about the same fuel economy as stock. Once installed the setup still has to be tuned. First, the idle mixture screw should be turned in until the idle speed just barely starts to drop. Second, the correct needle height should be determined. The best way to do this was mentioned above - lower the needle (raise the clip) one position at a time until it runs poorly, then raise the needle up one position from there.

But wait... Before you try to do any tuning replace the float orings and maybe also the float needle. Getting only 29 mpg has to be more than just a jetting setup problem.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #62347
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I average 50 mpg on both DR650's.
The 2002 is completely stock.
The 2003 has a Dyno-jet kit installed, airbox mod, stock exhaust.
Maybe you have other issues?
+1
A properly tuned jet kit installation will return about the same fuel economy as stock
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #62348
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
+1 +1 again and multiplied

That's what most people don't consider. Did over twenty carb'd bikes in my off-road addiction, and ten carb' road bikes . . . and in EVERY one of them the consumption at a similar straight & level speed is the same. (Or so close you can't tell).
But, and this is a BIG butt, that fuel-consumption adjust-o-meter twisty thing on the right handlebar end makes it seem like a well calibrated carb is a toilet flush. Not really. More power comes from burning more gas/air . . and from the indications I've seen on this site, DR Riders are not generally against making those shit-eating grins inside their helmets. You are ALL guilty of this. Don't lie. You know it. I've never met you guys and even I know it.

Anyway, this is my first post here. Just finishing my DR minor 'got-to do' things. Converting over from a LOOOOOOOOOOONG string of XR-600, 400, 250 CR250 single-track enduro run. After 10,000 miles on those I'm liking this DR.
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #62349
Dravintoad
Toadthumpin

Oddometer: 1,753
After jetting and exhaust, I'm still getting ~ 48-50 mpg. depending on how hard my right hand twists.
Dravintoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #62350
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was getting around 40 mpg before...
I missed this the first time around. This is a dead giveaway that you already had a carb problem. Float orings or float needle. Possibly (but unlikely) a hole in the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #62351
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
I missed this the first time around. This is a dead giveaway that you already had a carb problem. Float orings or float needle. Possibly (but unlikely) a hole in the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock.
My 03 was getting bad mileage, come to find out there was a hole in the petcock diaphragm, pulled the vacuum line off and it was full of gas.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #62352
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
If I wanted an over-weight Dual Sport, complicated by water cooling I woulda bought a XT660Z Tenere.

No bike with a low front fender should be called a Dual Sport! IMO
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #62353
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Thanks much.
What about the Needle? You haven't mentioned it at all. Most important element. Get the Dyno jet needle: #3138.002 (US model)
If you still have the stock needle ... then THERE is your problem.

When you say "air box top removed" ?? How did you do that? Normally, a section of the air box top is cut. I would follow the "Jesse template". It works. If you have, for some unknown reason, removed the air box side cover ... put it back on.

I'm not a K&N fan but I doubt that's your issue.

Try this:
Main: 155 (DJ jet)
Needle: 3rd clip down from top
Pilot fuel/air screw: One turn out.

Having the Pilot fuel/air screw out too far wastes A LOT of fuel. Turn it IN and lean it out. Sure, it will run a bit rough at idle but your fuel economy will be MUCH BETTER.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #62354
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySumo View Post
Anyway, this is my first post here. Just finishing my DR minor 'got-to do' things. Converting over from a LOOOOOOOOOOONG string of XR-600, 400, 250 CR250 single-track enduro run. After 10,000 miles on those I'm liking this DR.
Welcome to DR madness! I'm a long time Stonyford/Fouts Springs rider, lots of JackHammer finisher pins. Retired from competition now (B rider). I still ride up there from time to time ... or over at Middlecreek. Love the Foresthill area. Awesome!

What sort of riding do you intend to do with your DR650? Dual Sport, Travel, dirt? All of the above? Post some pics of your bike as you get some mods done.
I've had a few Hondas too: XL600R, XR400 (baja kit) XR250. My race bikes were mostly YZ250 two strokes (enduro-ized). Current dirt bike (old mans bike) is a WR250F and CRF230F.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #62355
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
No bike with a low front fender should be called a Dual Sport! IMO
Dakar
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote