Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #62371
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Welcome to DR madness! I'm a long time Stonyford/Fouts Springs rider, lots of JackHammer finisher pins. Retired from competition now (B rider). I still ride up there from time to time ... or over at Middlecreek. Love the Foresthill area. Awesome!

What sort of riding do you intend to do with your DR650? Dual Sport, Travel, dirt? All of the above? Post some pics of your bike as you get some mods done.
I've had a few Hondas too: XL600R, XR400 (baja kit) XR250. My race bikes were mostly YZ250 two strokes (enduro-ized). Current dirt bike (old mans bike) is a WR250F and CRF230F.

Thank yeeeew for the welcome. .. and you coming from a 'S'ford area & F'Hill past, it makes me all warm & fuzzy inside. Not a lot of people know about ForestHill. .the pine tree meca of that part of the mountain. I like the knarly twisty stuff offered in a marked trail setting. ( Allowed for a testing/practice blast if by one's lonesome since usually somebody would come by before you had to start knawing on your own arm for food if you grenaded something.).

Like you and no doubt others here, 'Had a lot of bikes'.. Broke a lot of stuff. Fixed a lot. Lost a lot of parts from smacking Terra-Firma. Learned why bark-busters should be about level with flight to actually DO SOMETHING when that friggin lil' branch comes by when WOT and you're not looking at it. (Yeah, had to convince friends that those guards are MUCH more appreciated protecting the fingers rather than that brake lever. . . well, they had to be convinced, since it was their fingers. .. geese, I TOLD them to not angle them so far downward like the levers).

Being a 'duro guy, you'll appreciate my taking a bunch of moto guys to F'Hill's knarliest loops just to see them sucK up their seat covers. Got tired of them making fun of me for not doing a moto-tripple or long doubles. Damn, I get altitude sickness when up that high. My 94' CR250 is/was set for single track. Plush, torqued via pipe & heavy flywheel, Scott's damper, etc. Probably burn in hell for " OK GUYS. . .DON'T LOOK DOWN. . LOOK 30 FEET OVER THERE . .OK ? ? ! THE TRAIL IS A FRIGGIN FREEWAY ! ! 18 INCHES WIDE AT LEAST !!
THAT'S A 100FT DROP-OFF, SO DON'T LOOK DOWN !! !! Yep.. . .hell for sure.

So, a dr650 ?? Well, I did a little test with a friends DR650. Sprung, valved, piped, jettted. Spot-on set-up. Did a loop route at F'Hill with a bunch of bud's. One lap with my CR250 (first .. where I was friggin awesome w/my WFO roosting, high jumping, ditch making, fishtailing, Rodney Smith wannabe) . . . .Then did a lap with the low cruising plush, on-the-ground mostly comfy thumper. Took about thirty minutes. Got back into SugarPine staging, and WTF ? ? "NO WAY IN HELL, bro's" ! The crowd said a minute FASTER on the DR650. ! ! Huh ? Yep. The watch on my dash said so too. Legend in my own mind or not, the timer doesn't lie. I got tired on the CR after twenty minutes. . .the DR was really friendly with that torque hooking up. Geese. I'm such a wuss. In front of a bunch of people too. AND MY FRIEND RODE THERE ON HIS DR. Man, that hurt. He had plates. Sheese.

So, got a DR650 now. When I figure out pics, will post. Did some welding.

DirtySumo screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 08:04 PM
DirtySumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #62372
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Well, after approx 15k miles my DR decided to spring a leak! I got oil everywhere! I was riding a lot of dirt roads Sunday which caused the dirt to stick to my engine drawing my attention. I checked all the oil lines, cooler, valve adjustment covers and they are all dry. Leaves the cam chain adjuster and/or base gasket (which is the metal multi-layer one). I was thinking cam chain adjuster but I have oil on the front of the cylinder fins! Could the wind blow it around everywhere? I guess I am going to have to clean it good- fire it up and drink beer until I see a leak!

I am going to have to fix this- I can't point at oil leaking H.D.s and laugh when mine is also marking its territory!
I would bet it's the CCT gasket, the oil runs down to the front when it sits, making you think it's the base gasket. This happened on my 03, FYI the gasket is a bitch to get off the jug.

I didn't even use a new gasket, used Permatex Moto Seal 1, and let it sit over night to cure.

If you have never had a CCT out before, make sure you follow the proper procedures
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #62373
maynard911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySumo View Post

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #62374
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
So, a dr650 ?? Well, I did a little test with a friends DR650. Sprung, valved, piped, jettted. Spot-on set-up. Did a loop route at F'Hill with a bunch of bud's. One lap with my CR250 (first .. where I was friggin awesome w/my WFO roosting, high jumping, ditch making, fishtailing, Rodney Smith wannabe) . . . .Then did a lap with the low cruising plush, on-the-ground mostly comfy thumper. Took about thirty minutes. Got back into SugarPine staging, and WTF ? ? "NO WAY IN HELL, bro's" ! The crowd said a minute FASTER on the DR650. ! ! Huh ? Yep. The watch on my dash said so to. Legend in my own mind or not, the timer doesn't lie. I got tired on the CR after twenty minutes. . .the DR was really friendly with that torque hooking up. Geese. I'm such a wuss. In front of a bunch of people to. AND MY FRIEND RODE THERE ON HIS DR. Man, that hurt. He had plates. Sheese.

Funny, I'm kinda thinking the DR has become my go-to bike and the Husky TE450 only comes out when I'm positively going gonzo. I can ride the DR faster on everything other than technical singletrack just because it is so forgiving.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #62375
atpalmer
Broken

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by epix1718 View Post
Almost time to renew my cycle insurance.. just curious what other DR650 owners are paying.

I'm currently with Progressive here in Michigan and have the following on my 96 DR650

Bodily Injury Liabililty: $20K/40K
Property Damage Liability: $10K
$1K Comp/Collision Deduct
$3000 Accessory Coverage.

Total comes to $93/year, but living in the great State of Michigan where we have a high percentage of uninsured motorists an additional fee of $145! is added on to the premium to help those that are uninsured :s_mad

Thus a total of $238/year for the DR650..

What you guys paying? Anyone in Michigan know if if there is a way around the MCCA fee, especially if I am already paying the MCCA fee on my car insurance?
I was just in a low speed wreck that broke my leg. Hospital bill was $120,000. Bodily injury 20k per person won't cover much. If I ever ride again my insurance will cover myself for at least 100k
atpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #62376
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Thanks mate!

Have the screen set in its lowest position coz for me this is the only setting that doesnt result in helmet buffeting @ 100km/h+

On the BC Lynx: As I mentioned above, I found lots of helmet turbulence at highway speeds with the screen set at anything but low. Also tried their optional larger screen.... no better in regard to the buffeting. Ignition key access becomes a little tight, but no big deal really. Fit between the ABS dash and the main fairing was a little..... um... approximate, so I added a rubber gasket to bridge the gap (you can see in pics below). Enough room behind it to properly deal with additional electrical provisions - I dumped the BC supplied loom and added an Eastern Beaver fuse panel out of which I run all electrical add-ons including the new lights. Lights are fantastic!

I have a similar set up to yours - Lynx, Vapor, GPS, etc., and I had bad buffeting issues. Shield all the way down, then cut off even with top of fairing still didn't work as well as just taking the shield off. I'll never put it back on. Even covering the slots makes a slight difference (redirects some air?). For me it went from unusable to pretty sweet by taking off the shield. May have to figure a way to protect wires from the elements.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #62377
DirtySumo
Adventurer

UberKul:

I understand.

My back surgery .. shattered shoulder. . knee surgery. . snapped collar bone . .. and the latest: heart surgery. . sorta made me mellow out a bit. The heart problem was genetic I'm told, so all is well now.(stent installed). The others were from, shall we say, trying to change the laws of physics.

So, I'm staying off the single-track for a year. Picked up a 2008 with 5500 miles. VERY clean. Very stock.
To date, after one month of ownership, I have done the following.. . What am I lacking?
Note: Just wanting a streetable fun ride, 80/20. The "20" part will be rough pot-holed narrow roads that wind thru the north Calif. coast inlands and the crappy semi-asphalt stuff in the foothills of the Sierras.. . plus the Nor-Cal Delta river levee roads.

1. Safety wired the NSU screws
2. '01 Gixxer can with my own mid-pipe that will mate with a SuperTrapp Quiet
if I need a spark-arstr.
3. Shimmed the needle .055" with some washers (no clip grooves avail.)
4. Drilled three 1" dia holes in the top of air box, then taped over two. Will remove
tape for anything above 3500'.
5. At 1.5 turns for low-mix screw. (was 1 1/4)
6. SuperBrace
7. Removed upper chain roller
8. Laced up a front 17" 2.5 Excel with a Shinko 705 120/90/17. . mounted backwards.
No rim pincheeees like with a skinny 21" against those sometimes sharp pot-holes
that sneak up fast around a sharp curve switch-back. Done that.
9. Shinko 705 rear. . .different rim arriving soon. (4.25)
10. Cut 1" off each bar end. . . too friggin wide for me
11. Manual choke in a week from now.
12. Some manner of new seat, SOON. Have stock & Gel. THESE WERE MADE
IN HELL BY SATIN'S CHILD.
13. Shortened sidestand
14. Braided frnt brake line. Expando rear.

Bike runs crisp & will run crisp to max revs in each gear via a gradual roll-on.
Straight & level is surge-free.
Top gear reads 10mph fast @ 65 true. .( 17" front).. even still, got it to read 110mph, so maybe 95-ish?
Putting around town last tank gave 46mpg corrected for 17". Not bad ? Stock gearing.
I'm 185 lbs nekked.
Plugs look good at every circuit-branch as best as I could clutch & shut-down & peek.
BTW: Running the three holes open in airbox gave the slightest lean pop when slightly
backing off the gas at speed. Too much for such a slight back-off IMO. . . feels good after
taping up two. Considering three 1" holes damn near is the TOTAL stock opening. .maybe
the ONE is 25% of factory snorkel. .
Low rev response is clean & crisp. Never stalls.

Drilled the slide. Read about maybe more slide wear than 'normal'. Tapped the stock
hole 5-40, dressed down a 5-40 machine screw, installed from the top side. Viola !
Like I wuz never there.

So, what more??
Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #62378
UberKul
UberNoob

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
So, what more??
Ride the piss out of it and upgrade what brakes.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #62379
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,827

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Agreed .

Easy fix though...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #62380
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Maybe you will get that 2008 model bike at US dealers in 2013.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #62381
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
ungeheuer

Hello,

As I have been a West Coast guy my whole life (almost 60), I am very disturbed that I
have never test rode or taken a demo with an Eastern Beaver !!!!!!! Sounds like a must have.

Heirhead

heirhead screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 10:56 PM Reason: punkeduation
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #62382
DirtySumo
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKul View Post
Ride the piss out of it and upgrade what brakes.

OK then. The pissin' starts now. I might see that 'Grifter guy near Middle Creek . . .or maybe Elkins Flat up in the pines (after I remove some tape, natch' )
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #62383
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongle View Post
Well, after approx 15k miles my DR decided to spring a leak! I got oil everywhere! I was riding a lot of dirt roads Sunday which caused the dirt to stick to my engine drawing my attention. I checked all the oil lines, cooler, valve adjustment covers and they are all dry. Leaves the cam chain adjuster and/or base gasket (which is the metal multi-layer one). I was thinking cam chain adjuster but I have oil on the front of the cylinder fins! Could the wind blow it around everywhere? I guess I am going to have to clean it good- fire it up and drink beer until I see a leak!

I am going to have to fix this- I can't point at oil leaking H.D.s and laugh when mine is also marking its territory!
Get some spray-on foot powder and spray it all over the engine, after you had removed any existing oil and dried it off. Go out for a ride, the leaking spot will make itself known and will be very easy to see. I also am guessing its the CCT gasket. Oil goes everywhere from the wind swirling around the engine. Make sure you read up on proper removal and installation of the CCT mech. This gasket often starts leaking as a result of too much engine oil.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #62384
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Get some spray-on foot powder and spray it all over the engine, after you had removed any existing oil and dried it off. Go out for a ride, the leaking spot will make itself known and will be very easy to see. I also am guessing its the CCT gasket. Oil goes everywhere from the wind swirling around the engine. Make sure you read up on proper removal and installation of the CCT mech. This gasket often starts leaking as a result of too much engine oil.
For mine, it was my son riding mile long wheelies
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #62385
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
So, what more??
Time to move on to improving the suspension
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote