Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
If you have a legal bill of sale, then most states give you 10 days to get your tag. I've been stopped by a bored cop. He just looked at my papers & said, "put that tag on right when you get it". No shit genius.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I bought my Tenere in California and titled it in Nevada. I paid CA sales tax. I don't think there was any way around that as I took delivery in CA. Nevada says I have to pay tax to someone, up to a max of my local sales tax rate. Since CA was higher I didn't pay any to Nevada. California is probably not the state to buy in if you want to avoid the taxes.

Oregon doesn't have sales tax. I don't know if that goes for vehicles though.
211john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #18
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird82 View Post
What kind of bikes were they, when I was doing my research, it sounded like bmw was one of the only companies that sold 50 state legal bikes in all 50 states. I know my versys didnt have a california legal emissions sticker.

Also, I said to check with his dmv cause all states have different laws, I was using the california one as an example.
That is true only in the first year it was produced. Yes it is confusing. But other than the first year they were 50 state bikes.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
buying bike

Call DMV in the state you want to purchase as most are different. Was buying I yr old Harley with less than 7500 miles in Washington and going to ride around San Juan Islands for 3 weeks then home to Cal. I needed 7500 miles on bike to reg in Cal. Asked salesman if tags were current and he said yes so had credit union fax over copy of check to them. I did paper
work and was taking delivery on bike when I noticed no plate. Dealer said they had to keep plate and I got a 3 day temp. Talked for 2 hours with them and Wash DMV but only got 3 day temp. The DMV said I could come in every 3 days , pay $25.00 and get new temp. Had to unwind deal as I needed plate to put 7500 miles on before reg in Cal. Moral of this long story, CHECK with local DMV of state you want to purchase bike in. The DMV is the only one who matters, not the dealers!

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #20
freebird82
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I bought m bike in Portland, and rode it home to Los Angeles. I did not get an kind of temp license or registration. I know california gives you 10 days to register the bike after purchase, so I just went for it. I insured the bike and printed that out, so if I did get pulled over I could show the cop I wasnt just being stupid or lazy, just had to get it home to register it. Had the title and bill of sale on me with the purchase date so I dont think there is anything they could do. I am sure utah gives you a certain amount of days to register.

The only thing might be that you are purchasing new, and who knows if the dealer will just let you ride off without a plate, usually they make you pay for that stuff with the bike, and then you would have to pay again when you get home.
freebird82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #21
NewYorkLuke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
if you are buying new and know what bike you want do the deal over the phone have them fax you all the paper you need and regi the bike in your state then take you plate and regi and go pick the bike up and ride it wherever you want
NewYorkLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
duncanfc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
What Rob Dirt said.....

Is this "new to you" or "brand new without a plate at a dealer"?

If the latter, do what New York Lukes says. Check your DMV too.

If the former, most states give you 10 days to register it after purchasing it....I know that is how it works in California (and in Oregon).

So, unless Utah has some funky transfer laws (eg. emissions related), buy what you want in any state, have that state's release of title form signed by previous owner (usually on back of title) and maybe a bill of sale for good measure, then drive it home without worry, and within 10 days of signed release of title (transfer date), have it registered to you.

Easy peasy.

Out of state vehicles almost always require a VIN verify/inspection by state official before final approval, so make sure that sticker exisits before you buy it (and clean sticker before inspection so they can read it correctly and enter it into the system correctly....man, you don't want the '6' to be written down as an '8' and later get stopped by the police.....

All in all, not too tough at the end of the day.

PS

Sock Monkey is correct about whole "motorcycle with less than 7500 miles on it" thing.

PPS

How they deal with taxes are different in every state. So as far as Utah goes....hmmm, is Utah as broke as California? Close? If so, expect some extra registration fees for things brought in from other states.

PPPS

You know, someone from Utah who has done this deal before should just tell us how they did it :)

duncanfc screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 02:35 PM
duncanfc is offline   Reply With Quote