Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
all my life ive heard how great and how much difference a pricey susp. will make.I thought it was bullshit but had to find out for myself.
I had my FZ1 done up with Ohlins about a year ago.
Also set up by local susp. guru.
To tell the god honest truth I dont notice much difference over the stock susp that was suposed to be so bad .
I can ride em any old way I guess ,i must not be in tune with susp and all the silly adjustments. Im starting to think they dont even mean anything.
Save your money ,is all Ive got to say

high dangler screwed with this post 04-08-2012 at 05:57 AM
high dangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #32
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I'm very close to having the "race sag" correct. I think. I just don't have my wife here to measure for me. (I was working on it last night, having her come and measure every few minutes ;) Is this possible with the stock spring? It has definitely tightened up the rear suspension. Am I theoretically heading in the right direction?
Right direction but keep in mind that there is a minimum spring length limit. In theory if it was way too compressed on preload you could bottom the spring before you bottomed the suspension travel and could have limited travel and/or break something.

In the end (with a constant wound spring), you are changing the preload and thus the initial ride height, but not the spring RATE, so with your weight you will still get more deflection/travel for the same transient loading.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #33
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
all my life ive heard how great and how much difference a pricey susp. will make.I thought it was bullshit but had to find out for myself.
To tell the god honest truth I dont notice much difference over the stock susp that was suposed to be so bad .
I can ride em any old way I ,i must not be in tune with susp and all the silly adjustments. Im starting to think they dont even mean anything.

If you really can't tell a difference, then you were no where near its limits to begin with.

Go faster.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #34
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
I can ride em any old way I ,i must not be in tune with susp and all the silly adjustments. Im starting to think they dont even mean anything.
But mike isn't asking about a top shelf aftermarket suspension. He is just asking about springs that properly carry his loaded riding weight. Springs that match the load are always better than springs that don't match the load.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,039
also, an FZ1 vs. KLX250 is apples and oranges when it comes to what you need from the suspension.

if the OP is only ever going to ride his KLX on the street, i would personally say don't worry about it. if he wants to ride it offroad, though, i would personally recommend he get the correct springs.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #36
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,383
I know the bike, I had an 09 KLX250SF. The valves in the front forks lock up under hard high speed bumps. Then the handle bars or the whole bike wants to go sideways. Front springs are really weak. Go to Kawasaki forums and see what is going on there. I put new valves in my forks and it made a huge difference. On MY model the forks had extra stuff springs because its a super moto. I did not need to change them although I weigh 199.9 lbs.

Good luck. On your bike I would have the suspension re done to fit you front and rear.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Going from the suspension of an XR200 to a KLX is a BIG improvement, going to springs and settings specifically for your weight will be almost as big of an improvement on top of that... imo. You'll get your money's worth.

You may be happy right now with things the way they are... but your missing out on how much happier you will be!
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #38
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
After adjusting the preload and installing a slightly taller tire, I'm unhappy. It's raised the rear end too much and I can't touch the ground as well as I could before. For now, I think I'm going to go 1/2 way back to the original preload setting.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #39
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
After adjusting the preload and installing a slightly taller tire, I'm unhappy. It's raised the rear end too much and I can't touch the ground as well as I could before. For now, I think I'm going to go 1/2 way back to the original preload setting.
If flat footing is more important than proper suspension settings, definitely put off spending money on the suspension
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #40
MrLebowski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
If flat footing is more important than proper suspension settings, definitely put off spending money on the suspension
+1

disregard my previous post
MrLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #41
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
I have the same bike (2009, KLX250S). I'm 5'11", 175lbs. My advice would be for you to set up the suspension that's there. You have a damping adjustment in front, and damping, rebound, and spring tension in the rear. Set what you have for your weight. I set my damping up in front to 4-5 clicks out (stock was 12). Totally eliminated the front-end diving that it had from the stock settings. I also adjusted the rear SAG per instructions easily found online (try kawasakiforums.com). If I remember correctly, I had to tension the spring slightly for my weight and adjust the shock per settings I found online... then adjusted them slightly for riding conditions. I will probably never have a need to do anything more, given my riding style and abilities (I'm an old fart).

My point is: if you like it stock, you can make it a LOT better with the built-in adjustments, WITHOUT having to drop a wad on new or rebuilt parts. I would highly recommend making *some* adjustments to get it setup for your weight.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #42
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
I couldn't flat foot it before, I could get the balls of both of my feet on the ground. Now I can barely get tip toes on the ground.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #43
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
I couldn't flat foot it before, I could get the balls of both of my feet on the ground. Now I can barely get tip toes on the ground.
I'm just sayin...and I'm not trying to be a jerk...if you're willing to back off your sag for the sake of getting both feet on the ground, don't spend the dough on springs/suspension.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #44
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,383
The front adjustment in the bottom of the forks is compression. There is no rebound. On MY bike I could turn the screw any where with no difference. That is why I re valved. I too ended up at5 clicks on the rear rebound. Rear spring was strong enough to get proper sag for MY weight.(199.9 lbs). I agree, if adjusting the suspension so you can be more comfortable stopped, then high quality suspension will probably not be much good.

"Don't adjust your suspension for 5% of your riding time"
Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #45
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
The front adjustment in the bottom of the forks is compression. There is no rebound. On MY bike I could turn the screw any where with no difference. That is why I re valved. ...
Yours was certainly busted!

Mine was set at 12 from the factory. It dove a good 8+ inches in front when I grabbed the brake. It would almost toss you over the handlebars...

I did lots of research online, and found that a many people liked the 4-5 clicks (out) range. I set mine to 4, and went for a ride. What a HUGE difference! No more huge diving. I was now getting a 2-3" dip, but it felt a little too hard for me. I backed it off one more click, and I have left it there ever since. Works great on or off road for me.

I did similar with the rear settings. I set the sag for my weight, but didn't really fiddle with the damping or rebound. I'll do that out on the trail some day where I can test it on some whoops.