Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #46
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 398
Looks like that exhaust is not the stock one....which is what I have so the clearance on the exhaust side is wider than that rack is made for.

Love that *toolbox* on the other side. I have a tool tube on my BMW and when I was making fun of the tool kit that comes with the bike under the seat realized I needed to get my own tools on that bike.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #47
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I dunno - but from the end view, looks stock to me. I just think MrPX may have played in the dirt with it.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #48
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Besides - he obviously has a torch & excellent welding skills - so thus, reforming is always possible in the world of metal. MrPX - are you getting suspicious ? S.A.N may have larcenous designs on your rack. Can't blame her.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #49
SpecialAgentNancy
& your little dog 2!

Oddometer: 398
I know I'm a girl and all....but my stock exhaust looks like the space shuttle.
Triumph offers an after market Arrow exhaust which I'm pretty sure is narrower.

Anyway, let's see what he says. Got to have these for the Mendocino Rally first weekend of May
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #50
MisterPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Exhaust is stock system.
MisterPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #51
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
I know I'm a girl and all....but my stock exhaust looks like the space shuttle.
Triumph offers an after market Arrow exhaust which I'm pretty sure is narrower.

Anyway, let's see what he says. Got to have these for the Mendocino Rally first weekend of May
I would wager every single after-market exhaust is smaller/lighter then the EU-mandated silencer. I have a Scorpion that I am very happy with. If you are in the market for an after-market can, while Arrow is a quality item, there are other, much cheaper options that also don't require a new map. I have heard (IIRC) that the Arrow can/map increases fuel consumption.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #52
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 488
After a lot of back and forth, I ended up going with the Touratech bags. Other than the price tag, I've been happy with them. My other choice would have been the Jesse bags.

Shep
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #53
The Breeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Touratech

Shep,

+1 on the Touratech rack/panniers.

I have Happy Trails rack/panniers on my DR650. For the money, you can't beat the value. However, I've destroyed two racks.....multiple weld failures. This occurred when riding long days on washboard dirt roads. The fatigue/vibrations caused the rack to fail many times. As a result, I was stopping in regularly at small towns (in Bolivia/Peru) getting my rack welded. Multiple weld failures on another trip/rack, as well. Meanwhile, the guys running Touratech racks/panniers had no issues.

Ya, the Touratech racks/bags cost a lot more.....but they're solid. I'm a soft bag convert (Giant Loop), but am considering a set of hard luggage, for my Tiger, on trips that are primarily on the tarmac.

Any chance you could post up a shot of rack/panniers from the rear?? Also, what liter of panniers do you have? Trying to get an idea of the overall width of the system.

Thanks!

The Breeze screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 07:01 PM
The Breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #54
jphish OP
Studly Adventurer

Mercury : yeah - saw & heard a Vance / Hines 800xc exhaust for around $275. About half the weight of stock. Tempting. The Breeze : were those HT SU racks that welds failed ? I'm surprised - had set on KLR that were big "frame sliders" - got bunged & bent, but never had a weld come undone. Sorry to hear that.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #55
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
After a lot of back and forth, I ended up going with the Touratech bags. Other than the price tag, I've been happy with them. My other choice would have been the Jesse bags.

Shep
good luck with those. for the price tag they should last 100 years and through 100 turn overs! Oh ya and they better cook dinner while on the road.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #56
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
good luck with those. for the price tag they should last 100 years and through 100 turn overs! Oh ya and they better cook dinner while on the road.
heard they prepare you coffee in the morning and doing your laundry while you're sleeping... oh no wait that's what my girlfriend is doing.

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #57
BlackBeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Each to their own. I've owned a set of TT panniers on my F650GS and now have a set of HT panniers on my DR and have also experienced the weld failure on the HT panniers. Had no such problems with the TT panniers, so consider it $ well spent.
BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #58
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeast View Post
Each to their own. I've owned a set of TT panniers on my F650GS and now have a set of HT panniers on my DR and have also experienced the weld failure on the HT panniers. Had no such problems with the TT panniers, so consider it $ well spent.
I agree each their own. I would buy Jesse Luggage if I wanted hard panniers. Im not sure I would compare HT panniers to TT.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:59 AM   #59
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
Shep,
Any chance you could post up a shot of rack/panniers from the rear?? Also, what liter of panniers do you have? Trying to get an idea of the overall width of the system.

Thanks!
I have the 31/38L size. Below is a photo from the rear. No arguments from me on the price. I only paid the bill because I had recently sold a business and had a little cash I could spare. Of course now I'm trying to sell the bike, so I will lose my shirt!

Shep
Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #60
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
I have the 31/38L size. Below is a photo from the rear. No arguments from me on the price. I only paid the bill because I had recently sold a business and had a little cash I could spare. Of course now I'm trying to sell the bike, so I will lose my shirt!

Shep

thats a wide rig