Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #196
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Yes 340. The first trip down I did the Skyline on Columbus Day weekend.. I am guessing because all the federal employees from the DC area had a long weekend it was jammed full of cars/people so I skipped it this time.
Thanks for your report Rog !
I was down last fall on Columbus Day 2011, met my nephew (who is working a CADCAM contract defense job outside DC) for some lunch. Wall to wall people that day. I had camped at Sherando Lake. Moto touring the BRP since '95 LOVE IT ! How far are you from Allegheny Nat'l Forest ? Its been a while but I've moto camped there also. Last time I was there the Kinzua RR bridge had been wiped out by an F5 tornado the year before.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #197
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Thanks for your report Rog !
I was down last fall on Columbus Day 2011, met my nephew (who is working a CADCAM contract defense job outside DC) for some lunch. Wall to wall people that day. I had camped at Sherando Lake. Moto touring the BRP since '95 LOVE IT ! How far are you from Allegheny Nat'l Forest ? Its been a while but I've moto camped there also. Last time I was there the Kinzua RR bridge had been wiped out by an F5 tornado the year before.
You are welcome.
I am about 150 miles/ 3 hours from ANF. I moto camped up there a couple years ago visited Kinzua Dam the Kinzua Bridge and even crossed over into NY for a while. I will have to see if I can find the pics from that trip.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #198
Kurgan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Just keep an eye out for loose Shetland Ponies and Pygmy Goats, I had to corral this bunch last May. I had the bike turned off and walked it for over 1/2 mile before they finally decided to pull over.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #199
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have a long weekend over the Easter break this year.
EDIT: It looks like Otter Creak and Linnville falls campgrounds will be open.

rockinrog screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 01:00 AM
Old 04-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #200
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Blue ridge parkway facility openings/closings spring 2012

http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisi...&PageID=389908
Hmm I was planning on camping at Otter Creek on the 5th, but it looks like I will be a day early.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #201
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 152
April BRP trip 2012

Leaving April 20th with a buddy from Albany NY. I have done this trip the past two Aprils stopping in Otter Creek then Asheville in 2010. I stayed at Cherahola MC campground / Tellico Plains in a cabin for 5 nights.Buck was running the place at the time for the owners.Does anyone know if they are still operating? Last year it was for sale I heard. Nice cabins & very reasonable price.Last year I left home at noon and did Skyline south to 33 west to visit friends in Franklin,WV overnight. My ride to Asheville NC started the day from Franklin WV to Bonna Vista (BRP) Virginia.It was sunny in the 60's crisp and cool, my type of weather.I counted about a handful of cars all day on the BRP.Only saw one ranger, which made me pucker as I was doing about 20mph over the posted speed limit all day. IMHO spring is the best time of year for cooler weather and to enjoy everything in bloom.Summer there are way too many cars and RV's. MC's are no fun going slow and passing all the time is a real PITA. Thanks for posting all the pictures and information.The BRP is one of my favourite roads in the USA and probally the best all day road on the east coast.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #202
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cherahola MC campground

I emailed them last year and it was closed unless you wanted to rent the entire place for a rally etc. It was also for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash View Post
Leaving April 20th with a buddy from Albany NY. I have done this trip the past two Aprils stopping in Otter Creek then Asheville in 2010. I stayed at Cherahola MC campground / Tellico Plains in a cabin for 5 nights.Buck was running the place at the time for the owners.Does anyone know if they are still operating? Last year it was for sale I heard. Nice cabins & very reasonable price .
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #203
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Leaving in the morning for the BRP. Looking forward to seeing it in the Spring.
I may post up some things from my phone during the trip, but fresh pics will have to wait until I am back.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #204
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 152
Enjoy yourself rockinrog!

Have a safe trip down the BRP. I can't wait to go on the 20th this month.Please let me know if there are any construction detours.Check out Asheville NC.I stayed at the Sweet Pea Hostil downtown.Its 2 years old and very clean and modern.Its above the LAB microbrew restraunt.There is a parking garage across the street and 30 feet to the front door of the hostil.They also have 2 private rooms for $60.oo a night,or $30 for a bunk.Its a cool town and very friendly atmosphere.Looking forward to hearing about your trip in early April.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #205
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks John. Here is where I go to look at the closures:
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
Right now there are 3. I always do a print of the maps in 4 segments then make notes on it as to where the closures are etc. I will have my camping stuff with me. I will prob end up camping at Willville motorcycle campground and/or Linnville falls and maybe otter creek on the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nash View Post
Have a safe trip down the BRP. I can't wait to go on the 20th this month.Please let me know if there are any construction detours.Check out Asheville NC.I stayed at the Sweet Pea Hostil downtown.Its 2 years old and very clean and modern.Its above the LAB microbrew restraunt.There is a parking garage across the street and 30 feet to the front door of the hostil.They also have 2 private rooms for $60.oo a night,or $30 for a bunk.Its a cool town and very friendly atmosphere.Looking forward to hearing about your trip in early April.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #206
ATC Crazy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Quote:
Got to the vistors center at Virginia's Explore Park and saw several police cars and the parking lot full of cars campers and giant tent. The lady told me it was for a movie being shot in the woods around there "ANYA" or something like that.

You were less than a mile from my house As a kid, I would ride my bicycle to the big bridge, hike the trails under it, climb on the rocks in the river, walk across the dam, and put coins on the RR tracks. Dad and I would also carry our canoe under the bridge and put in there. We'd make a day trip floating 5-7 miles down stream where we would take out at the end of our road.

If you are ever down this way again, let me know
ATC Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #207
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
You were less than a mile from my house As a kid, I would ride my bicycle to the big bridge, hike the trails under it, climb on the rocks in the river, walk across the dam, and put coins on the RR tracks. Dad and I would also carry our canoe under the bridge and put in there. We'd make a day trip floating 5-7 miles down stream where we would take out at the end of our road.

If you are ever down this way again, let me know
that was from my 2010 trip, I was just there again yesterday. I will prob pass back through on my way home.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #208
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

stayed st peeks of otter last night. Room on the lake was only 59 .no tv or internet and very little cell service. In ash Ville N.C. Tonight
Old 04-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #209
ATC Crazy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
that was from my 2010 trip, I was just there again yesterday. I will prob pass back through on my way home.
Hmmm...I would have known that if I read the last page of this thread

Wait a minute? You didn't happen to pass through there at around 530pm did you? I remember passing a (Yellow?) BMW followed by a streetbike while I was on my way to work at the Rt. 24 intersection. It would have been the last cross-route before you got to the big bridge (2-3 miles before).
ATC Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #210
Fast Ferris
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
stayed st peeks of otter last night. Room on the lake was only 59 .no tv or internet and very little cell service. In ash Ville N.C. Tonight
Happy trails!
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote