Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #226
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 671
and double check all the hardware after the first offroad ride, I lost both bolts from the stem support.

Shoulda used more loctite
SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #227
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
and double check all the hardware after the first offroad ride, I lost both bolts from the stem support.

Shoulda used more loctite
oh yeah i got a big tube of locktite. i plan on using it on everything!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #228
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
BMW Sertao

I was at a BMW store on Eugene OR over the week, and was looking at the G 650 GS.

The front fender / beak is VERY interesting! It moves with the steering. And it looks awesome...

Has anyone else looked at the fender set up on this G 650 Sertao ?

I have a hunch it may contain the needed parts to rebuild the F800GS front beak once you overhaul the cross over brake lines...

See: http://bmw.westsideracing.com/new_ve...sc=Motorcycles&
Old 01-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #229
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
So here is what it looks like on the bike in full daylight.

OK... now that is a damn fine looking bike. Makes me think I should have gone with the white Mirage.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #230
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Here are some pictures of my local ride, my first with my new tires! also have a video too.

Casejeep screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 09:21 PM
Casejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #231
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

After a chance to calm down i undid the fairing and reinstalled it for you all!

so first you take off the window and the gauge cluster, you take the cluster off by pulling off the retaining clips, they come off easy with needle-nose pliers. Note: Keep these, if you loose them they will cost you $1.50 each and you will reuse them.

These are the 2 pre drilled holes that you will be using to bolt on the new dash.

first you want to install the cluster on the dash. it makes the install so much easier.

Bolt on the dash with the 2 bolts, only screw the bolts on only 2 turns or so. try and leave it as loose as possible.

now you will want and plug the gauges back in.

Then place the outer part into position. i screwed the 2 side ones in fist, also, keep them loose. then the 2 in the center.

i then placed locktite on the 4 small screws that bolt the fairing to the dash and screw them on tight.

then place a drop of locktite on the 2 dash bolts and screw tight.

then tighten up the fairing bolts. NOTE: DO NOT USE LOCKTITE ON THESE BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!! i did and now i will never be able to take them out. it uses a rubber thing and it just spins.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #232
SportFaller
Dirt dont hurt, MUCH

Oddometer: 671
I made the same mistake, loctite-ing the rubber grommets. when I took it apart to put on my new GPS, I ended up having to replace those with regular nuts. Now we know....

SportFaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #233
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Haven't viewed all your photos as my internet connection is too slow to download them. Looks like you have done a lot of work on your bike. Judging by your post in thumpers it might be time for some suspension upgrades. Check here for inspiration

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #234
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Im starting to plan some trips and im realizing that the 800 doesnt have enough fuel for the trips i want to do. yes yes i know in the US your always within 200miles of gas, but im planning trips though Arizona and Utah through reservations all on dirt roads. its easy to go 200 miles on dirt without hitting a gas station.

OK so anyway. I was looking that the ADV Tank, but it only leave that little rear rack for your bag, and only 1.6gallons. I have Wolfman side bags so i dont have a whole lot of room in them so ill need to put the majority of my stuff in a rear bag, which that little top rack wont support well. and at $300 i can shop around first.

So i figured i could get RotoPaX 2 gallon. And the 2 gallon is thin and longer, which makes a large mounting area for a rear duffle.
(picture by Toowheels)

But im thinking since i have that one back there might as well but some water there too since ill be riding though lots of desert. but my worry is the weight.

2 Gallons Gas= 8.35lbs X2 = 16.5lbs
2 Gallons Water= 8.35lbs X2 = 16.5lbs
The RotoPaX= 5lbs X2= 10lbs

For a total extra weight of 43.5lbs

that is a huge number to have back there. would anyone do this?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #235
Buster714
instant human

Oddometer: 600
Let's figure out how to get the liquid storage down lower on the bike and pack the lighter stuff up top. You can get adapters to drop the rotopax down on the sides (water on one, fuel on the other) of the MOD top rack and put the GL great basin bag over/around that. There'd still be room on top for another dry bag if you needed it. I know you have those little wolfman bags on the racks but I'd make room for the heavy stuff down there. If there's room for the rotopax INSIDE the racks that'd be perfect. That way the rack protects the bike in a fall instead of a fuel container (yikes!). You can bring the bike by sometime and we can match up the rotopax containers and see what's possible. Just some ideas. I don't even have this much storage going on but you're usually a little ahead of me on this stuff.
Buster714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #236
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Im starting to plan some trips and im realizing that the 800 doesnt have enough fuel for the trips i want to do. yes yes i know in the US your always within 200miles of gas, but im planning trips though Arizona and Utah through reservations all on dirt roads. its easy to go 200 miles on dirt without hitting a gas station.

OK so anyway. I was looking that the ADV Tank, but it only leave that little rear rack for your bag, and only 1.6gallons. I have Wolfman side bags so i dont have a whole lot of room in them so ill need to put the majority of my stuff in a rear bag, which that little top rack wont support well. and at $300 i can shop around first.

So i figured i could get RotoPaX 2 gallon. And the 2 gallon is thin and longer, which makes a large mounting area for a rear duffle.
(picture by Toowheels)

But im thinking since i have that one back there might as well but some water there too since ill be riding though lots of desert. but my worry is the weight.

2 Gallons Gas= 8.35lbs X2 = 16.5lbs
2 Gallons Water= 8.35lbs X2 = 16.5lbs
The RotoPaX= 5lbs X2= 10lbs

For a total extra weight of 43.5lbs

that is a huge number to have back there. would anyone do this?
Hi Casejeep!

Actually gas weighs 6.1lbs. per gal = 12.2lbs. for the 2gals. of gas.

Maybe 1gal of water would do it too and then some in a Camelbak while you ride (or are you as thirsty as your bike ). Then search out the water wells etc.

That's what I was going to say too Buster (Hi!) but for the MOD Top Rack you can only side mount a 1gal. and only on the non-exhaust side:

and it does work very well with the Giant Loop Great Basin as Buster suggested:

Since you have the Wolfman rack though I agree with Buster on the inside mounting on the right side(right again Buster! )

I think you may only be able to fit a 1gal in there though?

Don't forget Rotopax also has a new 1.5gal version but it sounds like you want more.

It can usually be only temporary weight up there. Dump it all in the tank as soon as you can on your ride and done!

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #237
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

So this weekend i did some work on my bike for my upcoming Death Valley trip in 3 weeks.

Well first i washed it, because a clean bike just wants to get dirty again...

But for my trip i bought a SPOT 2 from Best Buy for $50 (they were on sale)

so because of this i went and bought a RAM mount for it, and since i was there i bought a RAM mount for my 60CSx.

So when i got my SPOT mount i looked at the clamp that goes around your bar but there was only like a 1/4inch gap, there was no way to put it on without taking the grip off and everything. So i went looking around to see how other people have done it. and people had with the exact same mount i had. so i pm'ed Emmbeedee, and he just told me to heat it up in some hot water and push it on.

so i put boiling water into a cup and placed the clamp part into the water and let it sit for 3-5mins.

Untitled

And then i just pushed it on, and it didnt snap. i was amazed!

Untitled

i placed it on the side because im going to be installing a SCOTTS so i would have had to move it so might as well put it where it belongs.

Then i tethered the SPOT to the bike using some cord just incase i go down hard i wont lose it somewhere.

Untitled

Now to installing the RAM mount for my GPS.

Since i have the Mariage 2 fairing i would mount it to that, i dont want my bars to bet too busy.

I found the best place to put it where the bars wouldnt hit if when im turning.

Untitled

this placement works out very well, all i used is the bolts that came with the RAM mount and bought washers and a lockbolts and drilled the holes. very simple.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

And the final look with both of them.

Untitled
Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #238
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
that extra handguard clamp can be used!

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #239
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
that extra handguard clamp can be used!

I was keeping it because I figured I could use it for something. What is that that you have mounted?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #240
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
I was keeping it because I figured I could use it for something. What is that that you have mounted?
its a pelican case that housed a on bike camera DVR recorder (reason behind the three plugs) but i gutted the case and use it as a point and shoot case / wallet and phone case now
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote