Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
rph_rider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Austin, TX to La Ceiba, Honduras June 2012 - seeking riding partner(s)

Hello everyone,

I'm eyeing up a trip through Mexico and Guate to Honduras beginning the first week of June and was curious if anyone else out there is thinking of heading across the border around this time.

For whoever is reading I was hoping this thread could also start some conversation about the best routes through the northern Mexico borderlands. Does anyone out there have recent experiences to share?
rph_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
If you're riding to La Ceiba, why stop there. At La Ceiba you'll be a short ferry ride from Utila/Roatan.

Stay at West End on Roatan for a funky experience. Utila Town, on the other island, is as funky if not more so.

Two hipster-villes not to be missed in Honduras.

You can take 57D down from through Saltillo to around DF on the Arco Norte towards Puebla/Veracruz on 150D, cut south to Oaxaca, from there ride 157 to the southern beaches in Oaxaca (Zicatella & Zipolite), visit San Cristóbal then cross into Guatemala at La Mesilla and on down through Lake Atitlán then over through Antigua to Guatemala City on up through to La Ceiba. You'll be seeing a lot of cool things.

Don't sweat Guatemala City. Just hire a taxi to an agreed price to haul you across it (I paid 80Q) and out to the other side.

In Honduras you might as well see Copan as well as whatever else you had in mind besides La Ceiba. But if you are at all a water person, do not miss the Bay Islands.

On the way back do not under penalty of being pelted by rotten bananas miss Tikal. In Honduras you might as well see Copan as well.

I'd come back through Belize to the Yucatán and on up through to see the cenotes and the ruins in the area, but that's me.

The blue line below shows you basically where you'd be if you went to see Lake Atitlán and Antigua/Guatemala City.

The red line shows you the Bay Islands of Honduras.

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
troyfromtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rph_rider View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm eyeing up a trip through Mexico and Guate to Honduras beginning the first week of June and was curious if anyone else out there is thinking of heading across the border around this time.

For whoever is reading I was hoping this thread could also start some conversation about the best routes through the northern Mexico borderlands. Does anyone out there have recent experiences to share?
I covered this ground back in September and October. I basically traveled from Austin, McCallen, La Pesca, El Cielo, Tamtoc,Xilitla, Aquismon, El Tajin, Xalapa, Xico, Puebla, Cholula, Oaxaca, Puerto Escondido, San Cristobal, Palenque.. then on to Guatemala.

You can follow my route and see my stories on my website. www.TheAdventureBegins.tv. Best of luck.

Cheers,

Troy

www.theadventurebegins.tv
2011 Suzuki DR650
troyfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Foflappy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I'll be riding that route starting on Monday. Riding through the Sierra Madre Oriental and back to the coast at Veracruz following it along to Cancun then looping through Guatemala and northern Honduras. Retuning through Palenque, San Cristobal, Tuxtla then up through Oaxaca and DF...I'm in Austin now. I might cross paths with you along the way

Solo travels on the legendary Kawasaki KLR 650
Foflappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
rph_rider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
@tricepilot - thanks for your suggestions! I've been to roatan, tikal, as well as guatemala and belize- great places and experiences! Looking forward to riding this time..

@troy - I love your blog! Thanks for sharing. I read about your experiences at la pesca and el cielo up near the border. Your very positive reflections and intrepid spirit are very encouraging!

@foflappy - Definitely look forward to reading about your experiences!

Thanks to all, I will keep in touch.

Bobby

rph_rider screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 08:41 PM
rph_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Catours
Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer: 153
Foflappy and Bobby,

If you guys make it to Antigua, Guatemala (definitely a popular spot to relax a few days), be sure to come by Moto Cafe and share some stories with fellow motorcyclists, join us for a ride, or just have a beer!

Troy and TricePilot both made it here - always good to meet ADV'rs.

Moto Cafe
6a Calle Oriente #14
Antigua, Guatemala
14°33'19.50"N
90°43'52.43"W

Safe travels!

Chris
Marketing Guide, CATours
info@catours.co.uk
CATours Website
CATours Facebook
Our TripAdvisor page