Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #31
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
Me too. There's a half dollar sized hole in it now. No big deal
Hmmm, I wonder if they changed the design because I have about a 1/2" between my TKC tire.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #32
Epictetus70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Congrats on the bike! I just picked up my 2012 GSA last Friday. Lots of great insight reference farkles.....I still have to install my HID bulbs (low/high), oil cooler and headlight guard. After reading the thread I'll most likely invest in the engine guard extensions and the mudsling splash guard.

I already installed the potentiometer guard as well as the rear brake resevoir. Just took a few minutes.

In transit is the Kaoko friction cruise control.

My new money pit!!
Epictetus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #33
drw1926
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus70 View Post
My new money pit!!
I resemble that remark!
drw1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #34
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Bavarian Money Waster...
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
freyke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
[QUOTE=
... I already installed the potentiometer guard .... Just took a few minutes. ....

... My new money pit!![/QUOTE]

I call it a cut up tennis ball. :)
freyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #36
CZman1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks and Yikes!!!

Wow, alot of great suggestions and very helpful. I have ordered the Maier mud guard, an oil cooler guard, a headlight guard and a brake lever extension. (and the Giant Loop Fandango and Diablo tank bags). Now if I could only get my bike...should be early next week.

I really like the idea of the altrider crash guard extensions but will wait until I've got the bike. I'd also like to mount some forward footpegs somwhere and want to see what seems most comfortable.

I am 6'6" and 280 lbs. so the windshield spoiler suggested by Cherokeerider might make sense. Also, given my weight and what fudgypup wrote, the suspension might become an issue. I agree that this is something that will become more apparent after I've put some miles on.

The same applies to any changes that I need to make to the seat. I have a Sargent on the KLR and am very happy with it.

I don't like the idea of the hi beam delay with HID's so will probably just do the low beam at some point. Thanks for the suggestions pointing me towards 1offmotorsports. I have the Denali D2 LED's on my KLR and think they are very good but will look at the Krista's for the GSA.

What I seem to be missing at this point is a rear brake resevoir guard, a crash bung (had to look that one up) and a potentiometer guard (still don't know what that one is but it sounds important ).

Thanks again and I am desperately wanting to get my rear on the GSA.
CZman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Judging by the accessories you're ordering, sounds like you plan to do som off road. Have a look at Jim Hyde's (Rawhyde) video on the 8 essential items for off road.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Adventu...or-BMW-R1200GS
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #38
Epictetus70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Check out the links below..... Quite a few good company's for farkles.

http://www.altrider.com

http://www.blackdogcw.com
Epictetus70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #39
Izzy3
Freak of Unnature

Oddometer: 141
V-stream windshield

Just installed a V-stream tall windshield. In the upright position, it is perfect for me. What a difference it makes over stock for a 6'6" freak! Threw on some Rox Risers while I was at it. Much better fit and rolling down I-95 at speed is now a dream. I can sit however I want and move around with ease now.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if they changed the design because I have about a 1/2" between my TKC tire.
I was just changing tires this morning and realized the Mitas E09 Dakar (140/80/17) is 10mm taller than the TKC 80 (150/70/17). That probably accounts for the hole in the Maier inner fender.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #41
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy3 View Post
Just installed a V-stream tall windshield. In the upright position, it is perfect for me.
+1 Love mine!
Okie Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #42
CZman1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZman1 View Post
I have already ordered the following accessories:

PivotPegz Mark 3 footpegs
Hammerhead shift lever
Rox 2" risers
Jesse Bags Safari panniers, top box and rear compartment
I finally received the bike a couple weeks ago. I love the Hammerhead shift lever and the Rox risers do what they are meant to do. I have already replaced the PivotPegz with Suburban Machinery's GS Big Peg to give me an extra inch or so of leg room. The Jesse's just arrived and have yet to be installed.

I've also installed: Oil Cooler Guard; Headlight Guard; rear Mud Guard; Crash Bung; Brake Lever Extension (love it); Rear Brake MasterCylinder and Reservior Guards

I've installed and removed the potentiometer guard from AltRider. It seemed to extend too far rearward and I was hitting it with my shin. It's sharp edges were painful. I left the long extender that came with the guard on the bike and this will prevent me from knocking into it.

I have ordered the tall Ztechnik VStream windscreen and mirror extenders.

I installed a Sargent seat on the bike but am not happy with it. They were supposed to add 1.5" of foam to the seat but shipped me a standard seat. This may have been a blessing because I am reevaluating whether the Sargent is the right seat for me even with the added foam. I tend to like to ride farther back (maybe a function of being 6"6") and the shape of the seat pan ends up putting a hard edge at the very rear of the seat, where I find myself wanting to sit. With the added height, I may shift forward somewhat, but I am not sure 1.5" of added foam will be enough and wonder if I am trying to do too much to make this seat work instead of acknowledging that this is just not the right seat for me. I am talking to Sargent today about what options I have.
CZman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #43
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
New R1200GSA Accessories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZman1 View Post

I installed a Sargent seat on the bike but am not happy with it. They were supposed to add 1.5" of foam to the seat but shipped me a standard seat. This may have been a blessing because I am reevaluating whether the Sargent is the right seat for me even with the added foam. I tend to like to ride farther back (maybe a function of being 6"6") and the shape of the seat pan ends up putting a hard edge at the very rear of the seat, where I find myself wanting to sit. With the added height, I may shift forward somewhat, but I am not sure 1.5" of added foam will be enough and wonder if I am trying to do too much to make this seat work instead of acknowledging that this is just not the right seat for me. I am talking to Sargent today about what options I have.
The guys at Sargents are great and will make every effort to accommodate. I stopped by their factory some time back and got a tour while they made my new seat.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #44
skyhigh340
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post
Congrats on the bike and welcome to the Asylum.

Maybe a mud sling for the rear from Machine Art Moto.
http://www.machineartmoto.com/shopsite_sc/index.html
+1 on the mud sling. Worth every penny and cheap for a BMW farkle. Also look into the head guards. It is a GS and they love to take a dirt nap.(mine does anyways)....
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #45
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

I know what you mean about the Sargent seat. I had to send mine back because of that same issue. I love my GSA seat because it doesn't have a dedicated butt spot like all the other seats do and I can move around on it.

As far as the potentiometer guard goes, many companies make guards for the 1200GS, but Touratech is one of the few that actually R&D their products before they put them out. Not knocking Altrider, because I like to support the small guys, but there is a reason why TT is pricey albeit not as pricey as Altrider. My TT potentiometer guard has never gotten in my way or have sharp edges.