User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #181
JACIII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
R1150GS vs Super Tenere

Apologies if this has been addressed before.

Rode the new Yamaha S10 last Friday night, courtesy of Mark Edwards of Lee's Kawasaki in Harrodsburg, Ky. Very, Very, Very nice bike: Yamaha nailed the Adventure bike segment with this thing. The twin makes mountains of thumpy torque for much happy and effortless motoring. Handling is spot on for lightness and feel; I got off the GS and onto the Tenere and just kept riding. Brakes are sweet, clutch is light, but after the using GS tractor clutch I believe it would be a source of insecurity for me. Riding position is about perfect, seat is better than the 1150's Corbin. There's a sweet hit at the midrange to topend that will nicely reduce having to time passes while flowing through traffic as on the 1150. Ran it through the gravel of Lee's back lot with much trepidation, but found the S10 to be as confidence inspiring and solid there as the GS.
I look for this thing to be a hit!

I don't know how a man would go about farkling the thing after having had access to the GS aftermarket, and my confidence level in most yamaha dealers for on the road repairs and parts is low. Luckily, someone else bought it so these things are not a near future worry.

The "touring" mode is wierd and the "sport" mode is more like "normal".
The turn signals use that weird single switch all the Jap bikes have.
Did not see a gear indicator on the dash.

Is there and aeroflow fairing for it???

Bonus: I got to ride the GS home in the snow!
"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #182
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACIII View Post
Apologies if this has been addressed before.
You wouldn't know unless you looked. There is already a discussion about the Tenere hiding on the first page of the Oilhead Boxers forum where you posted this.

Edit: thanks for moving this, mods!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 07:50 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #183
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
I own both bikes and unfortunately this thread was mostly a waste of time to read. They are both superb motorcycles and shine in different ways. The above post is an example of the nonsense these types of threads generate. Sad.

Jeff
I'm sorry you feel that way, if you note, I'm not trying to be nasty. There are simply, four other bikes I like a whole lot more than the Super Ten, including an 800 cc Triumph that I like a whole lot. I do find it interesting that multistrada owners do not need endless comparo threads, because they're out passing GS's on the roads right now I'm certainly not a nasty person, but I have ridden the 5 and simply, I liked them all more than the Super Tenere. Just one riders opinion, but if I want a cheap bike, I'll get the Triumph, if I want the one that makes no excuses, and get the BMW, and replace the Vario Panniers with aluminum ones

Also, I did read the Cycle World review mentioned, the only paragraph that stood out was We like the BMW and it is obviously built with great care. And that's all I need to know, I want the one built with great care.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #184
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
[QUOTE=JACIII;18091166]Apologies if this has been addressed before.

Rode the new Yamaha S10 last Friday night, courtesy of Mark Edwards of Lee's Kawasaki in Harrodsburg, Ky. Very, Very, Very nice bike: Yamaha nailed the Adventure bike segment with this thing. The twin makes mountains of thumpy torque for much happy and effortless motoring. Handling is spot on for lightness and feel; I got off the GS and onto the Tenere and just kept riding. Brakes are sweet, clutch is light, but after the using GS tractor clutch I believe it would be a source of insecurity for me. Riding position is about perfect, seat is better than the 1150's Corbin. There's a sweet hit at the midrange to topend that will nicely reduce having to time passes while flowing through traffic as on the 1150. Ran it through the gravel of Lee's back lot with much trepidation, but found the S10 to be as confidence inspiring and solid there as the GS.
I look for this thing to be a hit!

Quote:
...and my confidence level in most yamaha dealers for on the road repairs and parts is low.
Yeah, It's a problem. They don't get much practice.

Quote:
The "touring" mode is wierd and the "sport" mode is more like "normal".
Touring mode is for rough, slippery terrain where throttle inputs a bit hard to get precise and saving fuel, and passenger comfort. It just dulls everything off a bit and makes it less snappy and more fuel efficient. Sort of like a switch that goes F800 to F650. Most of the time you will be in "Normal" mode.

Quote:
The turn signals use that weird single switch all the Jap bikes have.
Good isn't it?

Quote:
Did not see a gear indicator on the dash.
There is none. You must use the force luke.

Quote:
Is there and aeroflow fairing for it???
Lots of stuff. You just have to ask.

Quote:
Bonus: I got to ride the GS home in the snow!

Quote:
Luckily, someone else bought it so these things are not a near future worry.
If you own one of those reliable ones, I say keep motoring. Lots of choice coming in the near future.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #185
loosesprocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDan View Post
I'll have to chime in. We just added the Super Ten to our rental fleet and as a long time GS rider I'm curious about the feed back we'll get from folks who ride it as most of them are familiar with the big GS. The bike seems very capable to me, sure the BM shines in some areas as the Yami does in others, suppose it all boils down to personal tastes.
I'll take a poll from those who rent it and post the results from time to time.
Here's a video the folks at Twisted Throttle put together for us- http://youtu.be/3zN1a8NdA9A

Dan
I have ridden recently with Lt. Dan @ March Moto Madness and would recomend him highly. He has a vast knowledge of the roads and trails in one of the best places to ride in the southeast U.S. We went on a technical ride with some KLR 650's, XL 650 L, BMW 450 X, KTM 450 XC (mine) and 3 GS 1200's and one KTM 990 Adventure. Dan was very considerate of all the riders and we had a great time. Later a guy let me ride his 07 BMW 1200 GS and I liked it a lot. I have a Yamaha Dealer close by and they have a couple S10's in stock. Owner and salesman are personal friends and would like to sell me one. I am going to go to GSM Motorent and rent the S10 to compare both bikes before I decide which one to buy. Is one better than the other is a matter of personal preference. I am sure that each have their pros ond cons. Since I haven't owned either one I can't give an opinion other than check them both out and if you are looking at this market of bikes and are serious buy one and go riding. The importatnt decision is to get out and ride, enjoy the scenery and the fellowship of other riders. March Moto Madness was my first Dual Sport Event and I had a great time and I am looking for more events to attend.
loosesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #186
thepaleobiker
Paleo,Runner,Spiritu

Oddometer: 12
Puke ......hmmmm... :)

- Great thread if you like drama and hatred

- A few really well-intentioned posts, thank you for the insight!

- Ultimately, we're all riders! Lets focus the hatred towards cagers please!

Nah, kidding. Just ride safe, and enjoy. Thanks for this thread.

Regards,
Vish
thepaleobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #187
Justice
Funbuster

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaleobiker View Post
- Great thread if you like drama and hatred

- A few really well-intentioned posts, thank you for the insight!

- Ultimately, we're all riders! Lets focus the hatred towards cagers please!

Nah, kidding. Just ride safe, and enjoy. Thanks for this thread.

Regards,
Vish
Why would you resurrect a thread that's been dead for over two years to make a useless comment like that?
If you were so concerned with the drama and hatred, why bring the thread to life again for all to see?
Smh
Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #188
Scottishman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
New Post in the Same Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Why would you resurrect a thread that's been dead for over two years to make a useless comment like that?
If you were so concerned with the drama and hatred, why bring the thread to life again for all to see?
Smh
I just saw this in the Forum today from another inmate who is a Tenere rider.

Did 330 miles of two lane ohio roads today with a FJR, VFR, and a Honda 1300 cruiser. It really magnifies the difference between my old Tenere and the GSA.
I when I owned the Yamaha kept telling myself it was good enough and just ride it and not worry. After a total of 700 miles on the GSA it is very apparent the Tenere is slow, weak brakes, poor suspension, and BORING. So happy it is gone and have the new bike. The FJR and VFR owners are thinking of trading after a half hour on my bike. It is really a outstanding motor cycle.

Below are my comments.

I have ridden Yamaha's in my youth, but have a GS, and a new GSA. The new bike is spectacular. Best by far.
2014 BMW GSA 1200
2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS, 2012 Porsche Boxster S Black Edition
Scottishman is offline   Reply With Quote