ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #211
naota03
Adventurer
 
naota03's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: New Windsor, NY
Oddometer: 10
Talking

Here is my current progress of the pine sol soaking. I will post the after pictures when I am done.

Before Soaking.

Carbs soaking
[img ]http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r615/naota_03/Pinesol%20Carb%20Cleaning/IMAG0139.jpg[/img]



Over the next 12 hours or so. I am going to be checking the parts and making sure they get cleaned well

naota03 screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 11:39 AM Reason: pictures not showing.
naota03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #212
sjsred323i
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: CAK - Ohio
Oddometer: 228
Remind me not to have punch at your house. Nice use of a punch bowl!
__________________
"If you have to worry about the risk, you're dead already." Paul Newman
sjsred323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #213
naota03
Adventurer
 
naota03's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: New Windsor, NY
Oddometer: 10
I bought it at the dollar store since I didn't have any large containers. I bought 10 for a dollar. The funniest thing is a member of the Nighthawk forums said the same exact thing.

Here is the pics of the cleaned carb parts. I also took a picture of the pine sol after I used it. It looks gross. Though the pine sol did the trick. I will put the carbs in either tomorrow or next week with the help of my buddy Wreckster. Should be fun.






Also Please note if you do plan to take on this project please rinse the carbs in an area with good ventilation. Pine sol can give you head aches. lols
naota03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #214
naota03
Adventurer
 
naota03's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: New Windsor, NY
Oddometer: 10
Finished the Pine Sol Cleaning of the carbs.
Before

After

It looks good. WOOT!
WIll install the carbs on my next day off when my buddy is free.

naota03 screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 07:58 PM Reason: forgot to add a word.
naota03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #215
Maxitout77
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Northern VT
Oddometer: 22
Ok, I'll play along. I thought this thread was nonsense, boy was I wrong. Awesome tip guys! This was a 24hr soak, a rinse off and a wipe. Unreal results.



Maxitout77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #216
naota03
Adventurer
 
naota03's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: New Windsor, NY
Oddometer: 10
It is so interesting how well this works. I am a believer of the powers of pine sol.
naota03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #217
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tech23's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Arizona Desert
Oddometer: 468
I'm impressed. Pine Sol works pretty good. I wonder if you could build your own homemade Safety Kleen style Pine Sol parts washer with a pump. Or would the Pine Sol kill the pump?

Back in 1993 at my old home I built my own (50/50 Kerosene/Safety Kleen mix) parts washer using an old kitchen sink and counter top that was being discarded from an apartment complex that was renovating a unit. I got myself a Quaker State 30 gallon gear oil drum from work, an Audi 5000 fuel pump, a VW Rabbit rear defogger switch that I used as a power on/off switch, made up a wiring harness with an inline fuse. I used long basic homemade metal brackets that I rubber mounted to the gear oil drums lid to mount the fuel pump to. The only part I had to buy was a $5 short straight piece of PVC pipe to attach to the sink drain as a return to the tank through a hole in the middle of the drums lid. I had the whole thing set on top of a common garage 6 ft tall garage shelving unit assembled in halves...two three foot high shelving units. This is about the same height as a work bench. I had it wired into an old car battery I had set on the bottom shelf that I would charge periodically. While the charger was hooked up the pump acted as a two speed pump because I could set the battery charger to 2 amp or 10 amp. You could also use an alternate power supply for the pump. I was aiming to spend as close to zero dollars as possible...I came real close.

Here's the only two pics of the homemade parts washer that I have...if anyone feels creative and can scrounge up the necessary parts. Sorry for the low pic quality, they were originally 35mm prints, but I think you can get the idea. I used this parts washer for 12 years, never had to change out the solvent, only had to replace the pump once in that time, and only discarded it to move. I felt like I got my moneys worth out of it.





Tech23
__________________
CRF 150/230/ Supermoto Conversion
2004 Suzuki DR 650SM

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #218
naota03
Adventurer
 
naota03's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: New Windsor, NY
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
I'm impressed. Pine Sol works pretty good. I wonder if you could build your own homemade Safety Kleen style Pine Sol parts washer with a pump. Or would the Pine Sol kill the pump?

Back in 1993 at my old home I built my own (50/50 Kerosene/Safety Kleen mix) parts washer using an old kitchen sink and counter top that was being discarded from an apartment complex that was renovating a unit. I got myself a Quaker State 30 gallon gear oil drum from work, an Audi 5000 fuel pump, a VW Rabbit rear defogger switch that I used as a power on/off switch, made up a wiring harness with an inline fuse. I used long basic homemade metal brackets that I rubber mounted to the gear oil drums lid to mount the fuel pump to. The only part I had to buy was a $5 short straight piece of PVC pipe to attach to the sink drain as a return to the tank through a hole in the middle of the drums lid. I had the whole thing set on top of a common garage 6 ft tall garage shelving unit assembled in halves...two three foot high shelving units. This is about the same height as a work bench. I had it wired into an old car battery I had set on the bottom shelf that I would charge periodically. While the charger was hooked up the pump acted as a two speed pump because I could set the battery charger to 2 amp or 10 amp. You could also use an alternate power supply for the pump. I was aiming to spend as close to zero dollars as possible...I came real close.

Here's the only two pics of the homemade parts washer that I have...if anyone feels creative and can scrounge up the necessary parts. Sorry for the low pic quality, they were originally 35mm prints, but I think you can get the idea. I used this parts washer for 12 years, never had to change out the solvent, only had to replace the pump once in that time, and only discarded it to move. I felt like I got my moneys worth out of it.


Tech23
That's a good Idea. I like it. Its versatile. If I didn't live in an apartment complex. I would try something like that.
naota03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #219
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 677
Thanks! I happen to have an old SafetKleen tank with a blown pump AND
a couple of old (still running) electric fuel pumps!! I'll have to see what
PineSol does to electric pump innards!
__________________
"Can't never could."-Grandma Belle Marie Bullock-Shuflin
prsdrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #220
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tech23's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Arizona Desert
Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Thanks! I happen to have an old Safety Kleen tank with a blown pump AND
a couple of old (still running) electric fuel pumps!! I'll have to see what
PineSol does to electric pump innards!

Cool, do that. I still have like eight Audi 5000 fuel pumps stored. I gathered them up while they were being recalled for "noise". The Audi fuel pump I used was silent, I also used rubber firewall grommets with metal inserts to mount the pump brackets to the lid. I added the rubber grommets to reduce pump noise. Does Pine Sol harm or "swell" rubber? Safety Kleen does and it never hurt the fuel pumps.

Tech23
__________________
CRF 150/230/ Supermoto Conversion
2004 Suzuki DR 650SM

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 04:58 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #221
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Cool, do that. I still have like eight Audi 5000 fuel pumps stored. I gathered them up while they were being recalled for "noise". The Audi fuel pump I used was silent, I also used rubber firwall grommets with metal inserts to mount the pump brackets to the lid. I added the rubber grommets to reduce pump noise. Does Pine Sol harm or "swell" rubber? Safety Kleen does and it never hurt the fuel pumps.

Tech23
Pine sol will swell rubber if left to soak for long periods. I just waited for them to return to normal, and then installed those pieces again. YMMV.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #222
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Tech23's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Arizona Desert
Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Pine sol will swell rubber if left to soak for long periods. I just waited for them to return to normal, and then installed those pieces again. YMMV.

Hmmmm. I'm not so concerned about rubber parts being cleaned, but any rubber parts that may be in the parts washers (fuel) pump, and any adverse it may have on those rubber parts. Any time I need to clean a rubber part it gets a quick cleaning in solvent and immediately afterward gets rinsed in a bucket of water.

Tech23
__________________
CRF 150/230/ Supermoto Conversion
2004 Suzuki DR 650SM

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #223
mattsz
moto-gurdyist
 
mattsz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Coastal Maine
Oddometer: 148
Pine-Sol vs Simple Green

sleeping thread, I know, but...

I just spoke to Rusty at Max BMW in NH - asked about Pine-Sol as a carb dip. He asked the shop guys, and they all laughed - never heard of it. They recommended Simple Green. Can anybody with experience comment on one over the other?
mattsz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #224
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsz View Post
sleeping thread, I know, but...

I just spoke to Rusty at Max BMW in NH - asked about Pine-Sol as a carb dip. He asked the shop guys, and they all laughed - never heard of it. They recommended Simple Green. Can anybody with experience comment on one over the other?
Seems you've got 15 pages of experience to draw upon right here.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #225
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsz View Post
sleeping thread, I know, but...

I just spoke to Rusty at Max BMW in NH - asked about Pine-Sol as a carb dip. He asked the shop guys, and they all laughed - never heard of it. They recommended Simple Green. Can anybody with experience comment on one over the other?

You would not pay Max to soak your carbs in Pine Sol if it was that easy would you?

The good news is you don't have to!

Simple green will take the clearcoat off of any product in a couple minutes.

Not that the pinesol won't if you leave it soaking long enough.

It works, it works awesome. I've done at least 10 carbs now, some of them were so bad that I had to let them sit for a week, but it works for sure. Just follow the instructions of the OP. Soak, wash with dawn and hot water, rinse thoroghly, blow out passages etc. with compressed air. You'll be surprised.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014