Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #46
redirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
SWEET! i have a kx85, and while I'm not as big as you, i like riding it around the greasy nasty trails and canefields around maui. I'm definitely watching this one.. what's with the naysayers anyway?
I think of it as training for the CR250 i don't really know how to ride, never having had a 2T off road bike before
redirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #47
AJxr

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
While the cubic capacity overlords (they're the ones that tell us all that we need a 900 to 1200 cc multi cylinder motorcycle if you're into "adventure riding" ... and that if you venture into the "woods" on anything less than 450cc enduro-cross superthumper - you're gonna get stuck on a hill somewhere ) may cry out at your lil' Kawa' 100cc project...

Maybe the "patron saint" of this thread should be...

1989 ISDE Germany... Gold Medal...

Or what about this later version; KX 80 motor in a perimeter framed KX 125 chassis... Multiple ISDE Champion Gian Marco Rossi rode a bike similar to this one in the 1990/91 & '92 world championship enduro seasons...

I saw him (close up and personal) ride the wheels off one at the 1992 ISDE in Cessnock Australia... and there was HEAPS of dusty rutted, rocky gnarly single track at that event, not to mention STEEP technical hills with rock steps and ledges...

Sure, if you're on the portly size of things or just "joe average" who wants to mozy on around the trails... a 350 to 450cc fourstroke is probably going to be the choice...

But I've noticed of late a big swing back in popularity of sub 250cc bikes (especially 200/125cc two strokes) in the nitt gritty single track enduro scene. Remember when everyone went gaga the year Shane Watts overalled severall GNCC races on a 125...

For a trim rider (say sub 65-70 kgs), who is not timid with the shifter and handy with the throttle... a sub 125cc bike will do the job more than well...

For the good ol' "overlords", let them have their tried and true "big bores"

Good luck with gettin' the screamer sorted...

going to luck into this more. wondering why the 80cc over just working the 125 a little? cant be a weight issue? hmmmm

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #48
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,140
Well, if it helps. My son is a tickle over 6 foot and 150 or so pounds and he rode a KX100 for 2 years in tight single track.Small light, flickable. Short range though. decent power. you may need to works on the suspenders. It's also for sale If'n you can get up to WI,I can arrange a test ride to see if you really want to try something that small.

BTW, I'm 6'7" and ride a 300 EXC, and we are about even ride wise in tight woods.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #49
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
HI Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by redirt View Post
SWEET! i have a kx85, and while I'm not as big as you, i like riding it around the greasy nasty trails and canefields around maui. I'm definitely watching this one.. what's with the naysayers anyway?
I think of it as training for the CR250 i don't really know how to ride, never having had a 2T off road bike before
Thanks man. I am moving to the Big Island in a few years. I bought some property over there and I can't wait to come ride in the red dirt! Keep having fun brada.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #50
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ben riding impressions

Ok, so now I have the FWW installed (post pics tonight) and the Pro Tapers. I have been riding this bike now for about a week and IT IS AMAZING! I am telling you. I am FAST on this bike. It isn't that the bike is super fast, but it is super controllable which makes it fast. I would have considered my 2007 KTM 125SX a fast bike, but It was so hard to get traction. that I would loose the rear end while climbing or loose the front in the very tight leaf littered woods floor. I still may loose it a bit on this bike but since I am 190lbs and the bike is about 150lbs and small I can control it and throw it around how I choose. I have been riding this bike hard now for about 5hrs and have yet to find anything I don't like about it's size and power. You become a better rider on this bike and it teaches you about how speed is your friend and to just go for it. I'm not timid at all anymore. I know that I am so much faster on this bike than on any other. I also know that I am faster than my friends that are much better riders than me on their kx250 and CR450. Now keep in mind that I am talking about tight woods riding and not wide open straights. They would kill me in that situation. For $3500 you can't find a better woods bike...

I got the Moose skid plate, 54T sprocket, 0-ring chain, Pro Circuit Nature Friendly SA, and Moose foot pegs last night.
I started last night by installing the skid plate. It went on very easy. The only thing I recommend is putting a small piece of inner tube between the frame and the plate. This will help to quite any metal on metal vibration and hopefully preserve the frame paint. Also I put a tad bit of water proof grease on the threads to keep the rust down on the bolts and when done use a cut off wheel to trim the length of the front U-Bolt down. Next on the the pegs. I started by disconnecting the lever from the master cylinder then loosen the mounting bolt in order to get the pin that is the factory peg on out of it's hole. To put the new peg on you still need the lever loose so the pin will fit back in. Low and behold with the new peg on you cannot tighten the lever back down. If you had a very long set of ball nosed allen wrenches you may have been able to, but I don't so off the peg came. tighten the lever down and push the pin in from the bottom side. I don't love this because the pin is being held in by the cotter pin. I think this will be fine. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if there is ever an issue.

ggamster screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 06:55 AM
Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #51
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
gloves and barkbusters?
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #52
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiebear View Post
gloves and barkbusters?
the bark busters should be here this week
Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #53
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Magic Disc

So I call the FFW the "Magic Disc" because it works wonders. I got it installed the other day. It was so easy to do. All the tools you need is
a few sockets and a strap wrench, oh and blue Loc-Tite.

So take out the 8mm hex head bolts holding the left side Fly Wheel cover on.
When you do it will look like this.

Next remove the two philips head screw holding the pickup on and move it out of the way.

Now put your strap wrench on holding the FW from turning and take off the large center nut.

Now Put the pickup back on using the original two philips.
The FWW is reverse thread and be careful not to X tread this. Snug it down tight by hand. I gave mine a little help with the bike in 5th, the break on and the strap wrench.
Next install the supplied nut with Lock-Tite

Put the old gasket and side cover back on. Apply Lock-tite to all threads. You can reuse the old gasket per the directions and the fact that it is rubber but if there are any issues with this a new one can be had for under $10.
Next. Go Ride!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #54
250kicker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Great thread! that little kx 100 must be all kinds of fun to fly around in the woods with. Service-Honda builds a CRF 150r with a crf 250x motor in it. Has a large pricetag but the demand is there for these lightweight singletrack bikes.

http://servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/junior-x

How does the KX 100 handle the rocky areas? does it get thrown off balance alot easier with the smaller wheels or does it hold a straight line pretty well? wondered how it handled compared to your KTM.

I have this thread on my favorites list - keep us posted!

250kicker screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 11:48 AM
250kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #55
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for the delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kicker View Post
Great thread! that little kx 100 must be all kinds of fun to fly around in the woods with. Service-Honda builds a CRF 150r with a crf 250x motor in it. Has a large pricetag but the demand is there for these lightweight singletrack bikes.

How does the KX 100 handle the rocky areas? does it get thrown off balance alot easier with the smaller wheels or does it hold a straight line pretty well? wondered how it handled compared to your KTM.

Sorry it took me a while to get back with you. There have been so many negative people on this web site I haven't been getting on here as much as I use to. I am loving the bike. I have a garage full of dirt bikes now. The KX100, KX250, YZ426, RM250F, RM450F and I can say that the KX100 is the most FUN. In very tight woods it is incredibly fast. It is so easy to throw around. It doesn't track as well as the bikes with bigger wheels. Not by a long shot but you get to where you are on the edge of out of control and you learn to let the bike float a lot. I will say that I am much more in control than on the KTM125SX but I couldn't stand that bike. It was straight up MX suspension only. I never got it dialed for the woods. I do like the KX250 in the woods a lot but it is slow to react as compared to the KX100. Its instability is defiantly a trade off but I think the extreme ease of flicking the bike wherever you want out weighs it. One of the big pluses is when you fall you don't get crushed by the bike. It more like falling off of a bicycle. More funny than scary but I do fall a bit more. Probably because I push this bike harder than anything else. The only true draw back I find is it is hard to stand up on so if the trails get real ruff your body pays the price. Overall this is the most fun bike I have been on. I am faster than all of my friends but one and I don't think with NOS a turbo and anti gravity tires could I beat him. He is like lightning.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #56
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kicker View Post

I just wanted to add that power on the KX100 is never an issue unless you have long straight a ways. If you keep it on the pipe it is lightning. I would save the $5K over the above Honda and buy two great used bikes for your buddies to ride. Or you could buy 8 used KX100 and have your own Series. HA

ggamster screwed with this post 04-16-2012 at 01:26 PM
Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #57
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
Sorry it took me a while to get back with you. There have been so many negative people on this web site I haven't been getting on here as much as I use to.
The internet is full of naysayers. Don't sweat it.

I for one, am a big fan of small light bikes. I would love to try one of these little KX100's in the woods. 150lbs sounds good to me.

Glad to see yours is treating you well.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #58
Conman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Thumb

Great Project. Was googling KX100 + riser and found your post. I started a "KDX100" project last year with more power than my DR200 but still short in height so the KX100 fit the bill. Pictures and my mods so far here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/876...roject-kdx100/

I have short legs but feel the cockpit is tight so I'm thinking about your handle bar setup. Also i'm looking at the Fastway pegs which appear to mount lower to get more distance from the bars.

Mods planned for this year:
Ergo: tall bar and lower pegs.
Gearing. lower gearing for tight east coast trails. I've heard the 420 chain is a weak link so I'm looking at 520 conversion.
Tires/wheels. As you commented, the small wheels don't track as good as 21/18 inchers. Will wait on the ergo mods before any crazy tire/wheel mods.

At 150 pounds, the KX100 is 100 pounds lighter than my DR200 with double the HP. Can't beat that combo.

Look forward seeing your upcoming mods.

Cheers,
Con
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #59
sixstringsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Very inspiring thread. Has anyone out there ever stretched a kx100 frame?

The only things I don't like about a kx100:
1) wheels are not full size
2) wheelbase is way too short
3) front rake is way too lax. It feels like riding a chopper.

Things I love about the KX100:
1) kips valve, so it has more torque
2) seat height is perfect
3) 150 lbs dry (that's only 6 lbs more than my trials bike)
4) really good parts - USD forks, disc brakes front and rear, water-cooled
5) 10.8" of travel - just enough for trail riding, but not so much that it makes it tall
6) low seat height

Here's what I'm thinking...

1) find a cheap kx100
2) add a 10-16 oz fww
3) re-lace the wheels to 21/18 wheels (possibly a trials tubeless rim in the rear)
4) trials rear tire
5) stretch the rear swingarm about 2" to fit the 18" wheel and lengthen the wheelbase
6) this is the scary part - extend the front of the frame and change the head tube angle to be steeper. I'm thinking a 2-3" stretch will be just about right. I've done motor transplants in motorcycles before, and my last bike was a kdx200/cr125 hybrid. I'm not afraid of hacking up a bike and welding and fabricating, but I've never stretched a frame before. i'm thinking of stretching it a few inches behind the head tube, that way I can retain the KX100 tank, radiator mounts, and pipe.

After all that, I should have a super lightweight bike that has a low seat height, good suspension, great motor, and fun to ride. That's my thinking anyway...

sixstringsteve screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 11:09 AM
sixstringsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #60
Hoo Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Nice to see you having fun on the KX100.

My in-laws have a KX100 and an KDX220 and I find the KX100 is much more fun, especially when riding in the woods. The KDX220 has plenty of power (for me anyway), but it's tall for me (30" inseam) which makes it a lot of work.

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.
Hoo Rider is offline   Reply With Quote