Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #62581
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Boots - http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-SG-10-Boots_p_83.html I have feet that leave almost brick shaped prints and the SG10's were the most comfortable out of the box protective boots for me.

I bought the http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...oots_p_81.html G - ADV for general DS (back roads, dirt roads, etc) and also for use on my Strom. More protection than my A-Star road boots but not so bulky in the toe like the SG10. Narrower toe box than the SG10's but are molding in well. Great for exploring with a little hiking thrown in.

Funny, Grifter - I couldn't get my foot in the Sidi ADV boot - didn't try the Crossfires. A very nice boot, too.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #62582
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
You are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I tend to buy new also. At the time I bought my truck, used car/truck prices were through the roof. My wife wanted to save money and buy used so I let her look first. Then I showed her the incentives, rebates and what the sales guy was willing to come down to on new. I passed a lot of used trucks with high prices to buy a new one for less. Six years later she wanted a year old car (to save money). She looked at *almost* exactly what she wanted. Then she noticed exactly what she wanted had rebates, incentives and a sales guy that wanted to make an end of month deal. She saved over $2k buying a new car over almost the same used car (fewer options). She asked the sales guy how and he explained that they'd sold the first car then had to take it back on a trade that left no room to negotiate. They were "stuck" with the price or had to sell it for a loss. With incentives, dealer cash back, rebates on new cars they could sell a new car at a profit for less. Do your homework and there is no reason not to get a new car smell for less than a used car problem.

It's the same with bikes. A friend of mine bought a used DR. I bought new. He has a number of mods he was initially excited about getting for "free". Now that he's deciding more what he wants to do with the bike he keeps taking them off and spending money on what he wants, and taking care of maintenance that needs to be done at 7k - 10k miles. I couldn't find a used bike like I wanted, so I went new and got near zero financing, which was over 8.5% on a "used" bike. I had a down payment that got not only my %-rate lower but there was an incentive too. You can often buy new for so close to used I wonder sometimes why people buy used at all. Seems people that buy used don't know how to research and negotiate.

There is a store in Klamath Falls Oregon that I would highly recommend. I just can't remember the name of it. Power-something?
For you and me this was the way to go every one has a plan or a budget, I check my pay off and it is so low I will payoff soon.
zdiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #62583
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
This is my retirement bike I will retire in four years and plan on doing some trips so for me I wanted new. some people abuse the bike and never service it so to avoid this I bought new I plan on keeping this bike and handing off to my son when the time comes.
I had the paperwork done on a 2011 BMW g650gs and when I went in to pick it up in Scottsdale AZ the sales guy was a big prick I walk out! and you are welcome.
And my upgrade list is bigger then yours and I am not done but I have to say I will pick up a new Toyota tacoma 4x4 so if you want my 2000 toyota tundra 4x4 with 34,000 mi, very low miles with a 6.5 lift and 33inch tires and have the engine hi performance as I will not let my adult kids drive it. I also have a 2001 Buick centry with 16,400 if you want a car.I have low miles because I have a work truck and other cars.
i am sure it's working for you, and as i said before, i am sure glad there's folks like you around! if i were into trucks, i'd be all over your tundra! yust my kinda deal. different things work for me; i have caviar taste and beer-budget.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #62584
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,378
Yep, where I live DRs sell for a premium. They are popular to say the least, so used, they fetch a premium. Sure there are some out there, especially if you're willing to travel, but I'd have spent hundreds to drive to a guy selling one that I'd maybe save hundreds (my friend drove 600 hundred miles...which in my truck is $200+ in fuel). It's just been better on my checking account to buy new, although I know that's not the case for everyone.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #62585
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
I really like mine. http://www.atv.com/products/thor-505...view-1451.html

PC- write up-

The 50/50 boot was designed and developed to provide just the right amount of coverage for situations that don't demand the extensive coverage of a standard MX boot. This is a great boot for dual-sport riding. It is the perfect blend of athletic shoe comfort and fit, and the rugged durability and coverage of an MX boot. Every detail has been refined to deliver the lightest, most comfortable, yet durable boot on the market. Weighing in at just 27 ounces the 50/50 boot is less than half the weight of standard MX boots yet tough as nails. And the comfort level is amazing.
  • Light weight injection molded outsole with aggressive lug pattern
  • Reinforced medial area with padding for comfort against the frame
  • Contoured gaitor for increased mobility and comfort
  • Adjustable positive-lock aluminum alloy buckles
  • Integrated toe cap/shift protector
Thanks those look like something that may work for me!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #62586
Putzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
I sent him my carb off my 2011 It has a PC jet kit and my throttle and choke cables and breather hose and filter and a fuel inline filter and clear fuel hose.
when I took it off my bike three weeks a go it was gettin around 50mpg and my new TM40 it getting 54 mpg.
can not wait to hear from him, he will get it monday!
Yep, i can't wait for it to arrive. Will be installing in Monday night hopefully. Thanks.
Putzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #62587
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I bought the http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...oots_p_81.html G - ADV for general DS (back roads, dirt roads, etc) and also for use on my Strom. More protection than my A-Star road boots but not so bulky in the toe like the SG10. Narrower toe box than the SG10's but are molding in well. Great for exploring with a little hiking thrown in.

Funny, Grifter - I couldn't get my foot in the Sidi ADV boot - didn't try the Crossfires. A very nice boot, too.
TH: That's a nice looking boot; something between my Crossfires (too much boot for my current riding) and my Joe Rockets (not really enough boot for my current riding). The Crossfires fit me llike gloves and I like the protection they provide. I'll be trying on a pair of those Gaerne's as soon as I find them (I don't buy footwear without trying them on).

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #62588
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I tend to buy new also. At the time I bought my truck, used car/truck prices were through the roof. My wife wanted to save money and buy used so I let her look first. Then I showed her the incentives, rebates and what the sales guy was willing to come down to on new. I passed a lot of used trucks with high prices to buy a new one for less. Six years later she wanted a year old car (to save money). She looked at *almost* exactly what she wanted. Then she noticed exactly what she wanted had rebates, incentives and a sales guy that wanted to make an end of month deal. She saved over $2k buying a new car over almost the same used car (fewer options). She asked the sales guy how and he explained that they'd sold the first car then had to take it back on a trade that left no room to negotiate. They were "stuck" with the price or had to sell it for a loss. With incentives, dealer cash back, rebates on new cars they could sell a new car at a profit for less. Do your homework and there is no reason not to get a new car smell for less than a used car problem.

It's the same with bikes. A friend of mine bought a used DR. I bought new. He has a number of mods he was initially excited about getting for "free". Now that he's deciding more what he wants to do with the bike he keeps taking them off and spending money on what he wants, and taking care of maintenance that needs to be done at 7k - 10k miles. I couldn't find a used bike like I wanted, so I went new and got near zero financing, which was over 8.5% on a "used" bike. I had a down payment that got not only my %-rate lower but there was an incentive too. You can often buy new for so close to used I wonder sometimes why people buy used at all. Seems people that buy used don't know how to research and negotiate.

There is a store in Klamath Falls Oregon that I would highly recommend. I just can't remember the name of it. Power-something?
more power to you. as i said, i need guys like you, who ewentually wanna sell your stuff!

but a lot of folks - like myself - do know how to research and negotiate. we yust don't wanna take the depreciation on buying something new. we're certainly not gonna pay more for something used than new, tho. which is why i haven't bought new in almost 40 years of buying wehicles. my first bike - a used 1973 honda cb450 - i bought for $525, as it was only running on one cylinder. $30 (at the dealer) to replace points, and it was good as new. i put ~10k on it and sold it for $575 3 years later. this is typical of the deals i make on cars & bikes. tho i don't always come out ahead financially, i am not looking to do that, i yust want a nice ride at a nice price, and it usually works out well. 3.5 years ago, i bought a mint gen-1 scion xb w/58k on it for $8k from a dealer. now, w/105k on it, i could sell it for about what i paid for it. maintenance has been brake pads, tires, and oil changes. i have no intention of selling it any time soon, tho - it is a great ride. economical, handles great, roomy, more fun to drive than riding a harley! re: my dr650, it's a 2000 model, was a little rough when i got it, but it only had 8k on it, and the engine was in great shape. no way i could get this bike equipped like this, the way i want it, for $4k, w/o researching and negotiating. and i there's nothing i could buy new for $4k that i would actually want. as i already had two bikes, a 3rd was a luxury, and i busted my original budget by $1k as it is...

ymmv,

doug s.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #62589
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb I should have sent it in a igloo cooler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
Yep, i can't wait for it to arrive. Will be installing in Monday night hopefully. Thanks.
This is like a heart transplant you heart was bad and the donner was pumping hard you was getting 29 mpg and mine was getting 50mpg and I sent it as I pulled it off, I touched no screws so I am looking forward to your mpg report!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #62590
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

Brother biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
more power to you. as i said, i need guys like you, who ewentually wanna sell your stuff!

but a lot of folks - like myself - do know how to research and negotiate. we yust don't wanna take the depreciation on buying something new. we're certainly not gonna pay more for something used than new, tho. which is why i haven't bought new in almost 40 years of buying wehicles. my first bike - a used 1973 honda cb450 - i bought for $525, as it was only running on one cylinder. $30 (at the dealer) to replace points, and it was good as new. i put ~10k on it and sold it for $575 3 years later. this is typical of the deals i make on cars & bikes. tho i don't always come out ahead financially, i am not looking to do that, i yust want a nice ride at a nice price, and it usually works out well. 3.5 years ago, i bought a mint gen-1 scion xb w/58k on it for $8k from a dealer. now, w/105k on it, i could sell it for about what i paid for it. maintenance has been brake pads, tires, and oil changes. i have no intention of selling it any time soon, tho - it is a great ride. economical, handles great, roomy, more fun to drive than riding a harley! re: my dr650, it's a 2000 model, was a little rough when i got it, but it only had 8k on it, and the engine was in great shape. no way i could get this bike equipped like this, the way i want it, for $4k, w/o researching and negotiating. and i there's nothing i could buy new for $4k that i would actually want. as i already had two bikes, a 3rd was a luxury, and i busted my original budget by $1k as it is...

ymmv,

doug s.
That’s cool My son is 26 and married with two kids him and his wife both work my son has a 60% disability (2 IED)from his Army service in Iraq (Infantry 10th Mountain FT Drum NY) and could not swing a bike so I gave him my 2009 XT-250 and when we can meet up and head out to the dirt and put lead (shooting) in the desert it is a good day!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #62591
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That’s cool My son is 26 and married with two kids him and his wife both work my son has a 60% disability (2 IED)from his Army service in Iraq (Infantry 10th Mountain FT Drum NY) and could not swing a bike so I gave him my 2009 XT-250 and when we can meet up and head out to the dirt and put lead (shooting) in the desert it is a good day!
it's great that you can do that for your son. my son recently turned 16; i thought it was cool that he wanted a gen-1 xb like mine; he liked mine enough that it was one of his 2-3 top choices. it ended up winning out cuz of fuel efficiency; his other choices got ~5-7mpg less. we ended up finding one a bit rougher than mine, but still decent; this one i really negotiated well for - i ended up getting it fr <$4k. and my son really likes it. and, he insisted on getting a manual transmission! now my daughter, who got her first car from me 4 years ago, is disappointed that i didn't insist she get a stick shift. i told her it was her choice, she knew i wanted her to drive a manual transmission. well, i may have to teach her on the dr650 this summer - now she wants a bike.

doug s.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #62592
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I'll be trying on a pair of those Gaerne's as soon as I find them (I don't buy footwear without trying them on).
I also tried the http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html Midlands. More protection than the G - ADV but they pinched a bit in the ankle - when hiking - good for riding. Brian at AtomicMoto is a vendor on ADV and very easy to deal with. He's kinda like the Procycle of gear. I actually tried 4 different boots and he had no issue with it at all and was actually interested in making sure I got the right boot for my mission. I had to pay return shipping if I sent 'em back but he spent time on the phone with me figuring things out, just like Jeff & Carl at PC.

Great csutomer service and smokin' deals on clearance items so I keep checking the site regularly. I got a few jackets and helmets from him for blowout deals. I don't care if it's last years model. Just not fashion concious I guess.

zdiver - Appreciate your son's service. 7 combat tours 'tween my son & son-in-law. I understand the family sacrifice. Kids - my son was on the initial push in from Kuwait when we kicked off the ground war. From his gunner postition atop a HumV, he called me on his cell phone. "It's so flat, I can see for miles up here" I reminded him that would in turn mean they could see his little punkin' head and to keep it down. Glad you get to ride with your son. I get out on a street ride with mine periodically as he's a Harley guy.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...

TrophyHunter screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 09:30 PM
TrophyHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #62593
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
That’s cool My son is 26 and married with two kids him and his wife both work my son has a 60% disability (2 IED)from his Army service in Iraq (Infantry 10th Mountain FT Drum NY) and could not swing a bike
Quote:
so I gave him my 2009 XT-250 and when we can meet up and head out to the dirt and put lead (shooting) in the desert it is a good day!
Free motorcycles and bullets?

Quote:
Old 04-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #62594
zdiver1
Gnarly Adventurer

And a dr xt shooting trip.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=9e19068390
Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=3034c9bab9The photo of him in the hole was a two thousand pound IED that killed his sargent and gave him 40 % hearing loss and his gun is the SAW he was on a four man team and the hummer had a roller on the front to find IED and it found one.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #62595
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I also tried the http://www.atomic-moto.com/Gaerne-G-...ots_p_351.html Midlands. More protection than the G - ADV but they pinched a bit in the ankle - when hiking - good for riding. Brian at AtomicMoto is a vendor on ADV and very easy to deal with. He's kinda like the Procycle of gear. I actually tried 4 different boots and he had no issue with it at all and was actually interested in making sure I got the right boot for my mission. I had to pay return shipping if I sent 'em back but he spent time on the phone with me figuring things out, just like Jeff & Carl at PC.

Great csutomer service and smokin' deals on clearance items so I keep checking the site regularly. I got a few jackets and helmets from him for blowout deals. I don't care if it's last years model. Just not fashion concious I guess.

zdiver - Appreciate your son's service. 7 combat tours 'tween my son & son-in-law. I understand the family sacrifice. Kids - my son was on the initial push in from Kuwait when we kicked off the ground war. From his gunner postition atop a HumV, he called me on his cell phone. "It's so flat, I can see for miles up here" I reminded him that would in turn mean they could see his little punkin' head and to keep it down. Glad you get to ride with your son. I get out on a street ride with mine periodically as he's a Harley guy.
"keep his little punkin' head down"

Thanks for the follow-up information. I have no problem paying for return shipping.

"not fashion concious I guess" Some of my buddies are obsessive about clean bikes. I make some of them absolutey knutz when I show up on the DR. It's a fookin' dirt bike; not a Mercedes. And if I had one of those.......................it would be dirty too. I have better things to do...............like typing here on the internet. I did an oil change tonight though.
zdiver - "Better luck next time fuckers. We're coming 4 you! 3rd platoon - B Co"

Quote: