P r o j e c t "s"

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by TINK, May 3, 2011.

1. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "You guys want them gold, and I can't wait to make them anything but gold. Guess it just isn't my style. Mine aren't perfect anyway, so no big loss."

I too have had a change of heart. My "gold" wheels are two different shades of gold, So now I'm thinking classic silver may be the way to go.

TINK
  2. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
  3. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'll be interested in what your color choice will be....
    Everyone keeps asking me..."how do you like the color?????.."
    I've been restrained to saying...it makes me hurl chunks...
    I'm bending towards the silver smoke...silver hilights with black pockets...
    just like the ones at the press conference!

[​IMG]
  4. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Press conference"?

:scratch
  5. squish

squish Waiting to see

Oddometer:
    Tink, I'm not kidding, I've got some time, snap a rear 3/4 shot or front 3/4 shot and I can sketch up some silver wheels with different levels of brightness, right quick.
  6. pit0rz

pit0rz Off on a bimble... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious if the build died or just this thread? I'm in the process of un-cafe'ing my RT and heading in the S direction :ear
  7. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh the shame :cry No, the "S" is not dead... just hibernating :snore I seem to have too many others projects going on in my life right now, including a deal to by back a 1986 Honda 700S Nighthawk that I sold to a friend 12 years ago. Ya, right, just want I need TWO project bikes I don't have time to work on. :jumpI've got boxes of new parts for the "S", but no time to install them right now. :baldy

TINK
  8. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to get motivated :rilla.... so I ordered a set of Avon Roadrider AM26 tires from American Motorcycle Tire for Project "S".

The Avon Roadrider is one of the few tires that come in old school BMW sizes 3.25x19 front and 4.00x18 rear. New tubes coming too.

Saw a set of Avon Roadriders on this beautiful BSA powered custom BANKE built bike :thumb at last Sundays Vintage Bike OC [​IMG]

Stay tuned...

TINK
  9. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Man I wish they didn't make my bike weave like a mofo. I loved the older Avon Roadrunner, Super Venom, and AM22 tires. They're still available put only in race rubber. I tried a couple of different sets of AM26's plus a warrantied front AM26 they sent me. Even just a AM26 in back makes my bike weave. Nothing like the front but still . . . . I hope Avon starts making their older tires again in DOT rubber. I am running their race rubber right now but I could see gravel just eating them up. You can push the bike across a parking lot and the rocks stick to them like they are made of glue and that's before you ride it and heat them up!
  10. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya know supershaft I've run hot and cold on Avon for years, so this will be my first Avon experience. I finally decided I just need to try a pair of Avon for myself, I hope I have a good trip down memory lane with them.

As for the Project S bike, I don't really intend to ride the wheels off this bike once she's on the road. I have a 2004 Suzuki Bandit 1200/S and 2009 Honda ST1300 to flog if I get the need for speed. The BMW is just a cruiser/parking lot art bike for me, and as such I'm not going to be too critical about tires, that is if they perform within reason.
    TINK
  11. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Bias ply Avons grip better than any other bias ply tire I have tried. I have been drifting tires on the street on a semi regular basis for decades and AVON race and street rubber sticks much better until they go off and then they still grip as good as a lot of tires out there. I am not talking about trail braking either! I have to slow down without them and some of my friends ride damn fast bikes so I don't want to give them up. They are all trying to talk me into getting a "real" bike but it isn't as fun riding a fast bike slow as it is riding a slow bike fast unless you just took off on ice cold tires. That's fun for a bit!
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, you should think about reigning it in a little.

:brow
  13. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tink,

The RT bracket for the speedo/rev counter mounts them high, fitting the bracket from the non faired bikes looks much nicer. iMHO. You can probably pick one up for pennies from a dismantler.

Charles
  14. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    There are three or four different height speedo mounts that I can think of. Does anyone know what heights came with what model?
  15. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point chasbmw. Hadn't really thought about it till you mentioned it. There was a "short" bracket on ebay for $21 delivered to the door, so I snatched it up. I've already got new rubber gromets in the "Grand BMW Box-O-Stuff" seeing as the 33 year old originals were cracked and hard.

Will still need to crack into the speedometer and clean and lub the insides seeing as the speedo needle dances like drink sailer from what I suspect is 33 year old grease.

TINK
  16. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Avon</st1:place> tyres and IRC tubs have arrived. I've got my rattle cans of aluminum color paint all lined up. Unfortunately the gold wheels are two different shades of gold seeing as the guy repainted the front wheel at some point. Why he didn't paint the rear wheel to match the front is beyond me, go figure. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    At this stage my goal is to make the bike a runner. Once I get her back on the road and sorted out I'll consider a cosmentic tear down to powder coat and paint to make her pretty.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    TINK<o:p></o:p>
  17. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here she is in hibernation... soon to be awaken!

[​IMG]
  18. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    April Fools, not really... F I N A L Y got PROJECT-S mounted to the bike stand so I can start working on her.
    Took the exhaust off, having trouble getting the right pipe seperated from the header pipe, hmmmm, set that aside for now.
    What I really want to do is get the wheels off, tires off, and start painting the wheels, silver. This photo really shows the two different shades of gold.
    Once the wheels are painted I'll set them aside to cure and start in on the brakes an suspension.
    This should take me through Phase-I of the project.
    Stay tuned. :lurk
    [​IMG]
  19. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pulled off the air cleaner housing and the starter motor cover tonight. No real surprises, just a ratty old K&N filter that I'll replace with a OEM (not a K&N fan) and some surface rust on the starter. Found a nut and washer just laying under the air cleaner, wonder where they came from!? :eek1 She's got a nice tan (grease) line :wink: across the top of the case I'll need to clean up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She's flying! Wheels are off.
    [​IMG]

Made me a rig to hold the wheel while I paint them silver.
    [​IMG]

More good news! wheel splines look good as new. :D
    [​IMG]