Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #166
Bama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Boy!! what happened to "Street Thumper " come back??

You know, I thought I just asked a simple question about street singles and it becomes an international imbroglio about shrinking resources, government policy, and other things waaaay outside the pale.

Nobody need panic.

Yamaha will make the SR500 with an electric starter !
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #167
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Maybe so, but they don't have the slightest bit of control of gas prices. Now Obama doesn't have control and the democrats are letting you know that while the republicans say he does. Anyone with a brain and some literacy knows it is purely market driven.
Not to turn this into something that should be in Jo Momma.............................. but, I could not have said it any better.

Bama: Right On Man!

Boojum screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 07:51 AM
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #168
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Thumpers coming back...

Last year I found that matchless was again making a thumper for the road. I heard it run and she was nice.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #169
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I agree 100%.
Thick seat on the old bikes also helped.

Its got to be motocross, or pure street these days.

I doubt thumpers will ever be very popular, unless they find a way to make 1500cc ones.
People seem to want huge bikes and think 800cc is to little to do anything but around town riding.

There was a guy years ago - Millray - who made a 1000cc single. Cycle magazine did an article on the guy. Showed a quart of Pennzoil sitting in the cylinder!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #170
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
Not to turn this into something that should be in Jo Momma.............................. but, I could not have said it any better.

Bama: Right On Man!
The thing that will keep it out of JoMamma is the FACT that NO PRESIDENT has ever been able to control oil prices on the market. Not Obama nor his predicessor, Bush. It is purely the jackasses with kneejerk reactions or the greedy bastards who screw up the market and drive prices up.

The best way we - all riders and drivers - can deal with this is to lower prices with OUR control. All we have to do is reduce gas consumption by 5-10% if we can. That happened last time and there was a glut of gas and prices dropped. It may not drop back to $2.50, but it will drop. We're still the biggest market and even 5% drop in demand will hurt the industry. Go buy a cup of coffee or a snack or two at the gas station so we don't hurt the retailers and their employees.

Mark - klx678
Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #171
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
Last year I found that matchless was again making a thumper for the road. I heard it run and she was nice.

Sorry, that engine is too square and smooth to wear a British motorcycle monaker! A bit more character in shape is needed. Make it smooth and rounded like a BSA or a conglomeration of shapes like a Norton, Triumph, or even the Enfield... but don't lose the power of the Rotax! Imagine that thing with a semi-maxed out AMA half mile engine!

Still, a cool bike.... well, maybe if you lose that "loaf of bread" on the back fender!

Mark - klx678
Old 04-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #172
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Quote:
Sorry, that engine is too square and smooth to wear a British motorcycle monaker! A bit more character in shape is needed. Make it smooth and rounded like a BSA or a conglomeration of shapes like a Norton, Triumph, or even the Enfield... but don't lose the power of the Rotax! Imagine that thing with a semi-maxed out AMA half mile engine!

Still, a cool bike.... well, maybe if you lose that "loaf of bread" on the back fender!
I agree, they have missed the mark a bit. Still, gotta give it to them for "stabbing" at it. Could never be a success. You should hear her!

Quote:
The thing that will keep it out of JoMamma is the FACT that NO PRESIDENT has ever been able to control oil prices on the market. Not Obama nor his predicessor, Bush. It is purely the jackasses with kneejerk reactions or the greedy bastards who screw up the market and drive prices up.

The best way we - all riders and drivers - can deal with this is to lower prices with OUR control. All we have to do is reduce gas consumption by 5-10% if we can. That happened last time and there was a glut of gas and prices dropped. It may not drop back to $2.50, but it will drop. We're still the biggest market and even 5% drop in demand will hurt the industry. Go buy a cup of coffee or a snack or two at the gas station so we don't hurt the retailers and their employees.
I don't feel that old, but by relative std's I am, (as seen by new generations)
That said, Gas was 25 cents when I started driving. We'd go miles out of the way to get 23 cent gas. Trips to the lake? 8 teenagers each pitch in 1 quarter, for a grand total of $2 gas. Covers the trip up+back.

Used to make me uptight to fill up as it took so long with the $ signs going by so slow. Full tank in the old panel...$3.60.

And it was lax back then. Some guy sitting in the old gas station office. You pull up to the pump blocking his view with your car. Pump a bunch, then reset the pump to zero, pump a bit more and pay for that.

Dishonest I know...

and here's my channel...
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #173
2manyrides
shifty charactor

the g80

Cantalevered shocks and dual front disc. Maybe good reliability for the whole machine? I don't know. Good base start for a prodject?

and here's my channel...
Old 04-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #174
Starkmojo
Banned

Oddometer: 357
They will probably never make a single for the likes of me - 6'6" 275lbs 36" inseem... but if they did it would be cool.

Having two bikes at the moment (a CB500 turned into a CL450 and a TDM850) I have to say that the very thing that makes the Honda great in town (Light, low, narrow, quick short wheel base) make it a pain on the highway. And the TDM is great on two lane or freeway, sometimes muscling into a tight slot downtown is a pain.

That being said if I had to have one bike it would likely be the TDM because it CAN do everything... the little CL just doesnt like to haul my fat ass over 70MPH.

OTOH I think there should be bikes for everyone- Harleys and Thumpers, enduros to crotch rockets- so that everyone can smile when they ride.
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #175
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Hi there,
as nobody mentioned it: Are you aware, that the Matchless G 80 has been built by Mr. Les Harris in the 80's? It's not a new machine! The same Mr. Harris who was allowed by John Bloor to build Triumph-Twins in the traditional way from about 1984 - 1988 until the new Triumph-factory and models were ready?
And to Starkmojo: Could a Suzuki DR Big be an option for you? Here in 'Thumpers' is an own thread of these Bikes. But be warned: they're very rare in the states!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #176
Southerner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
MIght as well throw this in. Just got an email about it.
http://rycamotors.com/new/scrambler_build/

I think most here know about the RYCA cafe conversion but while nice, it's a bit too extreme to me. This has retro appeal and looks more rideable.

I know, one could just buy a DR and be done with it but this doesn't look as tall. The chain drive conversion would allow for sprocket changes and free up the motor somewhat as well.

It would still be cool to see an S40 engine done up like a Goldstar or Matchless.
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #177
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
I don't feel that old, but by relative std's I am, (as seen by new generations)...
AIDS, herpes, gonorrea, the clap, what are the relative std's? A few letters can make or break a date.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #178
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
I agree, they have missed the mark a bit. Still, gotta give it to them for "stabbing" at it. Could never be a success. You should hear her!

I don't feel that old, but by relative std's I am, (as seen by new generations)
That said, Gas was 25 cents when I started driving. We'd go miles out of the way to get 23 cent gas. Trips to the lake? 8 teenagers each pitch in 1 quarter, for a grand total of $2 gas. Covers the trip up+back.

Used to make me uptight to fill up as it took so long with the $ signs going by so slow. Full tank in the old panel...$3.60.

And it was lax back then. Some guy sitting in the old gas station office. You pull up to the pump blocking his view with your car. Pump a bunch, then reset the pump to zero, pump a bit more and pay for that.

Dishonest I know...
Yeah, I remember the quarter a gallon gas. Lots of guys had hot cars that got like 6 mpg and all. We could run around all night long in average cars for $2!

Mark - klx678
Old 04-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #179
Southerner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
And yet yesterday I put 4 gallons in my bike for $12! Yikes!

It's true that some manufacturers are getting the idea that some of us out here are looking for "yer basic bike" but their offerings to date are mostly 250cc and below. I assume this means they are just sending us a few of what they sell elsewhere. When I think of the term "thumper" I generally assume 400cc+. It's not set in stone, just my opinion.
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #180
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
There was a guy years ago - Millray - who made a 1000cc single. Cycle magazine did an article on the guy. Showed a quart of Pennzoil sitting in the cylinder!
I remember that article. You need to explain to the younger generation that oil used to come in round, sealed, cans though.