User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,967
Got an idea based in space.......

Dunno if you get them over there, but the Piaggio X-Evo 400 is the equal of the Burgie 400 in most respects, and is a true red/white/green flag-waving maxi-scoot.

Then you can get an old PX from the '70s (cheaper by far than the desirable '60s Vespa's), and you and your dad can restore it for some bonding (I bet he knows heaps of tricks!).
Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #17
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Thank you for the quick responses, its clear that everybody has formed their own opinions on the scooters. I have been thinking about it, and Its really a toss up now between the Burgman 650, T-Max, and Piaggio or Vespa. The majesty and Burg 400 are out. I heard the maintenance costs of the Burgman 650 is high, is that correct?

As for what I'll be doing with it, it will be a mix of city and highway, not really one more then the other. its clear through my purchase of the DR650, that I bought a bike that can do everything well, but nothing great. I think that's what I'll be looking for in a scoot, and there is a good chance that it will replace the DR if i end up riding it more. I want something light enough for the streets, but heavy enough for the highways and powerful enough for 2 up, with large storage.

The Piaggio BV350 and 500 are nice, and seem like the perfect fit, its just something about the styling that doesn't appeal completely for me.

The Burg 650 has everything I'm looking for, but I've been reading that its very heavy. I love the look of it, and all the features.

The T-max is also very nice looking, sporty but the limited storage space is a turn off.

The vespa is a classic, but again, limited storage, and it just seems really small for longer highway runs.

Now to throw a curveball at y'all... I would also be letting my Girlfriend and my father ride this, both have VERY limited experience on 2 wheels. Obviously the maxi's wouldn't be a great choice.
I just picked up an '09 Scarabeo 500ie with 825 miles. I had a Dr650 that I wanted to commute on, started streeting it, was never quite what I wanted. The Aprilia is the perfect commuter for my 38 mile trip, light, peppy, handles well. Speedo is 10% high vs GPS, but it tops out a touch above 100, GPS 93. Decent lighting, storage is less than a Zuki, but I have a Givi box coming. This would work well for touring IMHO, at a bit slower pace than my Beemer. Two up with the wife was good too, she likes the seat!
There are still some new 500's at dealers going for good prices. Maintenance is pretty simple compared to the Zuki, easy access to most parts.
Check some of the specific forums for more detailed info on general maintenance and other problems, that's what swung me toward the Aprilia.
Good luck!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #18
go.duesouth
Lord of the geeks

Oddometer: 20
The Kymco Downtown 300i is another one you can throw into the mix. Motorcycle.com 2010 scooter of the year. There is another thread about it if your interested. Although, if you plan on cruising more than running around and commuting, you would be better served by a bigger bike. I have a DT, the only other scooter that I personally like better, is the redesigned Tmax (assuming if it ever sees the US), or the BMW C600 due out later this year. I'd try them first if you can, at least sit on them. The one I was going to buy turned out to be disappointing when I got to handle it in person.
go.duesouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Thank you for the quick responses, its clear that everybody has formed their own opinions on the scooters. I have been thinking about it, and Its really a toss up now between the Burgman 650, T-Max, and Piaggio or Vespa. The majesty and Burg 400 are out. I heard the maintenance costs of the Burgman 650 is high, is that correct?

As for what I'll be doing with it, it will be a mix of city and highway, not really one more then the other. its clear through my purchase of the DR650, that I bought a bike that can do everything well, but nothing great. I think that's what I'll be looking for in a scoot, and there is a good chance that it will replace the DR if i end up riding it more. I want something light enough for the streets, but heavy enough for the highways and powerful enough for 2 up, with large storage.

The Piaggio BV350 and 500 are nice, and seem like the perfect fit, its just something about the styling that doesn't appeal completely for me.

The Burg 650 has everything I'm looking for, but I've been reading that its very heavy. I love the look of it, and all the features.

The T-max is also very nice looking, sporty but the limited storage space is a turn off.

The vespa is a classic, but again, limited storage, and it just seems really small for longer highway runs.

Now to throw a curveball at y'all... I would also be letting my Girlfriend and my father ride this, both have VERY limited experience on 2 wheels. Obviously the maxi's wouldn't be a great choice.
There is a very simple solution to your dilemma.......Just buy TWO scooters, one small and one big. This should solve most of your problems

Just get something small like a 150 for around town and for the GF and father to learn on. Then get a 300 or bigger for the longer trips.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
There is a very simple solution to your dilemma.......Just buy TWO scooters, one small and one big. This should solve most of your problems

Just get something small like a 150 for around town and for the GF and father to learn on. Then get a 300 or bigger for the longer trips.
Oh, THAT don't do it.

You start wishing you had the power of the BIG scooter in the LITTLE scooter...and then your thoughts run to hop-up kits, bigger bores, longer strokes....

I have two Chino-scoots. One the updated successor to the VOG, an XY300t-4. Still a faithful clone of the Burgman. And a Big Ruckus clone - which I find a GAS.

The XY300t will do seventy as long as you like, no sweat. But the riding position is Burgman without the backrest; and no holes in the seat for the backrest.

I'd LOVE to take that injected Linhai-Yamaha engine and jam it in the Rowdy-Ruckus. But there's that rational, sane part of me (the smaller part) which knows what I'd be doing is destroying two scoots with probably none running when finished.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post

Thats a common thing among scooterati....MSS. Multiple Scoooter Syndrome!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #22
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
lol MMS sounds like i have that before owning anything.. dumb question, but how bad are the vespa 12" wheels on a freeway? i keep going back to it because of the classic lines and looks. i mean they wouldnt make a scooter that can do 80 mph without it being safe right?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #23
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
That kinda dough will get you a brand new....to be available next month Piaggio (italian) BV350. The hottest touring scooter to come along in a long time.

33hp to the rear wheel, 78 claimed mpg, 99 mph top speed, wet clutch, two-up capable techno tour-de-force!

I been riding scooters for along time, but at 5499 msrp, the Piaggio BV350 is the one to watch!

Thats just my opinion, but I have to admit....I've had a stiffy for this scooter since I first heard about it.

I also have a DR650 and a Vespa GTS 250 ie. I'd rather tour on the Vespa than my DR650 btw...having done both and the Vespa is quite capable in that regard....so long as its all pavement. My belief is that the BV350 will be even better.....more power, better mileage, larger wheels, longer maintenance intervals.

Good luck with your selection....and welcome to the world of steppin' thru!

thanks for the info, i noticed there are not many BV's for sale on ebay or in my area on craigslist, dealers, etc. is that a good thing or bad? good meaning owners love them and wont sell, or bad meaning the dont sell from the dealer.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #24
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
lol MMS sounds like i have that before owning anything.. dumb question, but how bad are the vespa 12" wheels on a freeway? i keep going back to it because of the classic lines and looks. i mean they wouldnt make a scooter that can do 80 mph without it being safe right?
Only a Vespa is a Vespa....and with Vespa comes smaller wheels.

I've been riding Vespas for almost 2 decades and enjoy the instantaneous steering provided by the smaller wheels....and yes, I have ridden on the freeway (not my favorite place on my Vespa, DR-650, OR my car actually) and its fine. I do spend plenty of time on highways and secondary roads at freeway speeds however.

The big gripe with 12" wheels is in town where potholes, broken pavement, and poor road surfaces seem more frequent and requires some attentive avoidance manuevering.

That being said, the BV350 is what I consider a medium wheeled scooter. I havent ridden one yet as they arent out yet, but plan on it. The power, fuel economy, and lengthy service intervals are appealing to me.

The surplus of older BVs for sale don't appeal to me, (or I likely would've pursued an earlier BV model already). This new BV350 is more technically advanced than any other BV to date.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

yeah, that new BV 350 is also on the list as well, that will probably have to be bought new though, as i am looking to buy this summer. Its MSRP is $5500 IIRC. that means about an OTD price of about $6300 in NY
Old 04-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
yeah, that new BV 350 is also on the list as well, that will probably have to be bought new though, as i am looking to buy this summer. Its MSRP is $5500 IIRC. that means about an OTD price of about $6300 in NY

There are lots of excellent scooters available to be had.

Good news. Lotsa choices.

Bad news. Tough to pick just one!

Any quality scooter will provide a lot of fun though!

Keep us posted when you pull the trigger on something.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #27
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,171
Buying new, buying used, buying vintage

I think of buying scooters or bikes like this:

Buying new
There are great choices and most perform as advertised, Honda, Kimco, Suzuki, Vespa.

Buying used
Honda's run for ever, some say they are bullet proof. Honda is a motor company they concentrate on building motors and job out everything else.

Buying vintage
Follow your passion, learn the operation of some of the most inventive machines, how vespa mounted a tiny motor from an airplane to a back wheel and changed transportation after WWII. Out of the bombed out rubble and dust came Lambretta.
Two design and marketing achievements of the 20th century. Around these two brands a human following has developed.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #28
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn View Post
I think of buying scooters or bikes like this:

Buying new
There are great choices and most perform as advertised, Honda, Kimco, Suzuki, Vespa.

Buying used
Honda's run for ever, some say they are bullet proof. Honda is a motor company they concentrate on building motors and job out everything else.

SYM built many Honda motors (100,s of thousands of them) for many, many years in Taiwan before selling under their own name....

From Wikipedia:

The parent trading company, Ching Feng Hang, was founded in 1947 and imported their first motorcycles (BSAs) in 1949. In 1954 Sanyang Electrics (with four employees) was formed, restructured into Sanyang Industrial Co. Ltd. in 1961. In 1962 they formed a joint venture with Honda to begin local assembly of motorcycles, the first motorcycle manufacturer in Taiwan (30% local content).[1] In 1969 assembly of small Honda cars (N600, TN360) began. As Sanyang's own motorcycles entered direct competition with Honda's products worldwide, the relationship was terminated in January 2002 and Honda began building cars themselves as Honda Taiwan Co. Ltd.[2] Sanyang instead signed a contract with Hyundai and currently assembles much of their lineup for the domestic Taiwanese market.
Sanyang Industry Co. Ltd. has its main office in the Hsinchu Industrial Park in Hsinchu County, Taiwan. It has a subsidiary in Xiamen city, China, named Xiamen Xiashing Motorcycle Co., Ltd., and another subsidiary in Bien Hoa, Dong Nai, Vietnam, named Vietnam Manufacturing & Export Processing Co., Ltd. (VMEP).

gogogordy screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 08:49 AM
gogogordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #29
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I *Think* I've decided, Its going to be the Piaggio BV500 or BV350. They are the best of both worlds, touring ability and light weight nimbleness from a scooter. I can put my girl on the back and take her riding, touring, or just down the block. Plus its got that Italian flare I was looking for. I will probably buy used, unless its the BV350. Now I just have to save some $$ and do it. Im hoping to have be able to afford one mid summer. If I find myself riding it a lot, and not riding the DR, I will probably sell the DR for a vintage Vespa Rally 200.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,557
I also got bitten by the scooter bug a few years ago, but I prefer smaller scooters rather than the maxi-scooters. I started out with a Honda Met, it was too slow, so I traded ir for a Yamaha Vino 125, which I still have. It is great, fun to ride, and practical. But it was still a little too soulless for me. Just too refined. It works fine as a transportation appliance, and anything with 2 wheels is going to be fun, but I wanted more. I wound up with a Genuine Stella 2 stroke. This turned out to be more to my liking. It is a 2 stroke, it smokes, it is noisy, it squeaks and rattles, it has a clunky manual shifter and hand clutch, and it looks beautiful. It is an exact copy of a Vespa PX150, right down to all metal construction. Vintage Vespa parts fit it. Now I feel like I am riding an actual machine, with all the vibration and mechanical noise a machine is supposed to have.Next stop, a real vintage Vespa.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote