Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #46
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
All i was getting at was if a person was emotionally distraught over said event and people were joking about things related to said event, I could understand that reaction.

Is it really that hard to understand?
You and the rainbow guy should get together and discuss your feelings about feelings.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #47
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 836
IT was a simple question in first post

Which one of you FF's was it?
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #48
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Have never done it on a bike, but I've hiked through the fire line. A couple of my mates were dubious, till I pointed out, "All the flammable stuff is on this side; it's just smoking embers over there, we'll be safer that side."
Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #49
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
In the fire service the phrase is, "Fight from the black." In wildland fires, we use brush trucks to attack the fire. These are often one ton trucks that carry 300 gallons of water with a foam injection system. We manouver the truck from the burned side... the visibility is better as the grass and brush is burnt, and the chance of injury is much reduced. The fuel is, for the most part, gone.

However, crossing over from the unburned side to the burned side can be dangerous... smoke can hide stumps and holes.
This is not a place to be high centered... I have scared myself and my crew when crossing through the line.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #50
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
This reminds me of a story I heard on Paul Harvey back in 1978-79...

There was a huge farmers field on fire and three big fire engine companies had gone out to fight it and were having no luck at extinguishing the flames.
All of a sudden this little one truck company comes on the scene, drives past the other fire trucks, down into the field and right into the fire! The men jump out of the truck and furiously ran around fighting the fire...and put it out!
The farmer donated $1000 to the small company. The local media was there to record the whole thing. When the Chief was asked what they would use the money for his reply was..."well, first thing we're going to do is get the brakes fixed on the truck!"

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #51
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
This reminds me of a story I heard on Paul Harvey back in 1978-79...

There was a huge farmers field on fire and three big fire engine companies had gone out to fight it and were having no luck at extinguishing the flames.
All of a sudden this little one truck company comes on the scene, drives past the other fire trucks, down into the field and right into the fire! The men jump out of the truck and furiously ran around fighting the fire...and put it out!
The farmer donated $1000 to the small company. The local media was there to record the whole thing. When the Chief was asked what they would use the money for his reply was..."well, first thing we're going to do is get the brakes fixed on the truck!"
I just had the Local fire company come out when the fields I was burning got away from me and thats all they brought was a 1 ton, some kid was driving it with the hose nozzle in his left hand, he pulled up in the burnt section, fired up the hose, drove down the fire line across about 5 acres, and had it out in about 45 seconds.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #52
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchio Lupo View Post
That dude has got to be somebody we know.

Wow - (EDIT: WE) really flatter ourselves... maybe he's the kind of guy that rides, instead of sitting on the internet and talking about it all day. (EDIT: Unlike me.)

Krasniewski screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 10:44 AM
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #53
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 468
yeah that

I noticed you've been reading rather than riding. Of course I realize there is not mucg riding in Bahrain, you are kinda stuck. I spent a great deal of time in Saudi, Kuwait, and Qutar, there is not much riding for me anyway. Hats off to you for logging miles in that region.

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #54
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasniewski View Post
Wow - you guys really flatter yourselves... maybe he's the kind of guy that rides, instead of sitting on the internet and talking about it all day.
because all BMW GS's have an ADV kill switch. The computer monitors your ADV activity and if you have not made a post in the last 48 hours the EWS wont let you start the bike... I thought everyone knew that.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #55
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
because all BMW GS's have an ADV kill switch. The computer monitors your ADV activity and if you have not made a post in the last 48 hours the EWS wont let you start the bike... I thought everyone knew that.

Quote:
I noticed you've been reading rather than riding.
I love irony... and hypocrisy...

Tragically - no riding for me until I go home - no bike miles logged here.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #56
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

yeah that

I'll have you know that when I'm posting on ADV, I am also defrauding my employer.

Since 2007 and only 361 posts, I need to get in the game or I'll be left for ADV dead.

I suppose this will wind up like "The Sunken Sidecar of Doom" thread in hacks...lots of participation but no movement.

"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #57
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecchio Lupo View Post
I'll have you know that when I'm posting on ADV, I am also defrauding my employer.

Gotta stick it to the man - any way you can.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #58
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Don't be concerned with your boss. Being a Guzzi man is something permanent, employment is always temporary...

Stay thirsty my friend.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #59
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

agreed!

Yes, Moto Guzzi is very much like good Scotch. They are both acquired tastes, and it is difficult to explain what it is you like about them. You just know that living without would be boring. Well, that, and they are both fun at parties.