Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #16
johns
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
I second the CB-1. Great bikes. They're a bit small for me, but even so, I wouldn't mind using it for touring around Europe on my own.
johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
PorLaTierra
Por La Tierra

Oddometer: 111
My kind of tour

finally some realistic discussion of good small bikes. There is another thread where a guy asks about small bikes and everyone suggests 650, 800, even an 1100, clearly missing the point.

I live in the South of Spain and I have been drooling over the VTR250s because they are very fun, very fast for a 250 and get incredible mileage. I would love to see one with some touring gear.

What did you end up getting? When do you start your Euro trip? If you loop through Spain dont skip the South, PM me if you need a place to stay.
PorLaTierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,906
If you like little bikes, and you like multi's as well, then there are a range of 4cyl whizz-bangs that will do the job. UK has a lot of grey imports, same as Oz, but realisticallt parts support is OK, nowhere near as bad as what some people reckon (Some people sook if they have to travel more than 10 miles to a dealer and wait more than a few hours for parts).
Most of these bikes (and the 400's are just a bit bigger with a bit more torque, but slightly fewer revs) weigh in at 350-400lbs, average around 16-18km/L, and rev to over 15K screaming like a banshee!
Good fun.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
The bandit 400 is a fantastic bike. the 400cc screamer (4cyl) makes the bike quit quick for what it is and they look really cool. If you are set on a bike this size, this would get my vote every time.

kawi is good at amking overweight destroked versions of their bigger bikes that aren't worth a S##T.

Yamaha and Honda make a few cool bikes that everyone wants here in the US but wont get to see.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
The zzr250 was imported here officially, i had one when i was learning as we were restricted to 250s for the first year, i did several 600km days on it and felt fine with luggage strapped on the back and i am 6'2" (but I was 18 at the time). It was well fast enough on the freeways here at 110kmh. That was the bike that first gave me my taste of motorcycling and i loved it.

I sold mine at 70000kms with only wear items done. Very reliable, up to 400km on a tank and 4l/100km. I did sell it for a bmw r80 because i was doing so much distance and i was wearing it out but i think you wont do the kms like in australia in europe.

My brother had the cbr250 it wasnt as comfortable, i have ridden the vtr and it is good but no fairings.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #21
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 951
Yamaha XJR400. A few were imported from Japan.

Theres a cheap one on ebay if you fancy some minor spannering. They do pop up quite regularly.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #22
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Add another vote for a VTR250. Saw a few in Spain, just a cracking looking bike and supposedly fun to ride too. A bit left field but perhaps a Yamaha MT-03?
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote