Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #2251
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDBad View Post
Hi John. Do you have any old mounts you could part with? With the issues I had with the original LED lights I bought, they spent most of their lives on the garage shelf and are out of warranty I suppose. I need another mount as I wanted to try these on my street bike. I emailed your service guy, but hadn't heard back.

Thanks,
Rick
Hi Rick,

Please contact me via email sandjoh@gmail.com or 954 993 5581.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #2252
Crashed Bad
Big man, little bike

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Hi Rick,

Please contact me via email sandjoh@gmail.com or 954 993 5581.
email on the way. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #2253
Mhunt7575
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello everyone.

I have been a lurker on this thread for sometime now and thought that a few pictures may be in order. First off, I have been riding for 40+ years. Most of my riding time was on single track on some of Idaho's best trails. My first serious dirt bike was a Suzuki DR 500, and then to a XC-500 2 stroke Husqvarna, then XR650. But I got too old and most definitely way too Fat to ride the dirt. So, my roots are with you guys.

But, now I am exclusively a street. I have been working on a lighting project for my Favorite bike of all time, it is my Triumph Rocket 3 (2300 cc), the big one, not that girls touring model. Anyway, I ride over 10,000 miles a year. Most of this is done on 2 lane paved roads throughout southern Idaho. I know the smaller back roads very well, and avoid the freeway whenever possible

Most of my rides are about 6 hours long. If you know Idaho, then you can understand this statement. On the 6 hour ride at least 4 of those hours I have no traffic either ahead of me or coming the other way nor do I see houses. So, when I set out to do lights, I wanted them bright. Deer are always a year round issue on these back roads. Our deer here tend to be on the large size (120lbs to 250lbs) and if you hit one with a bike, it is pretty much Dirt Nap Time. Few survive this event.

OK. Long story short, I purchase 3 of the 44 lights in silver. 2 are on the front fork and have the yellow lens covers. To tame the light down, I used 2 yellow covers on one light, seems to make a difference, They work excellent in fog and do light up the road. I am very pleased with the performance and the service I received, both in purchase and 1 repair from Sanjoh. No issues, only praise.

So, the pictures that I am adding are my latest incarnation of my lights. I pretty much limited myself to 9 amps or 100 watts when on full power. I have also added 10 yellow photon blaster up front from Skene and use the 170-inteligent controller and the 160 controller, both with the Alert function. I also have added some nice driving LED fro Ridged Industries (2800 lumens each. 1-10 degree and 1 split 18/10degree rows,, good for 400 yards) long range things. All are on switches and I can mix and match as needed.

Anyway, here are my pictures and I really like the product.

What do you think of my solution?

First with Stock low beam and 10% on 44's on fork.

High Beams

Front view:

other

Night Picture.......

Mhunt7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #2254
StellerJay
n00b

Oddometer: 7
holy shit mate! that's classic. you look like some sort of ghost rider. man, if somene says that didn't see you coming, they should be taken out back and shot. lol
StellerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #2255
StellerJay
n00b

more praise for Sanjoh

...spoke to Sanjoh several times on the phone before reading all the posts/information in this thread. I was referred to his site (advmonster.com) from a KLR650.net thread that i started. Man, i could have saved Sanjoh a whole lot of trouble if i would have known about this thread before i contacted him. it pretty much answers all my questions...and then some!

at any rate, Sanjoh was very patient with me on the phone. As i am new to rigging up lights on motorcycles, and all the nuances of mc electrical systems. He carefully considered and then answered all of my questions. After reading some additional stuff here, I am certain that i made a good choice by going with the 10w/3 LED model with a dimmer switch. It should provide the daytime running light i want for visibility, and hopefully not blind people at night with its tighter beam. I opted for the dimmer so i can have them on full blast at night when i switch to hi beam. Deer are an issue here in NC as well, and i travel down some long dark roads.

can't wait to get them! gonna try the fork mounting them on the reflector bracket of my KLR.

thanks Sanjoh.

PS....i'm riding to Memphis the weekend of May 5/6 to catch some of the Beale St music fest, by way of Savannah, GA. Leaving May 4 if anyone is keen on riding along or meeting up along the way! bealestmusicfestival.com
Old 04-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #2256
islano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
60's

islano screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 01:04 AM Reason: Lost link
islano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #2257
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 745
[QUOTE=Mhunt7575;18433378]Hello everyone.

What do you think of my solution?

I love your solution. Very nice set up indeed. Fantastic 1st post. Hope that will scare the deer away.

You have great roads in your state. I was in the northern parts a couple of years ago, and wish I had a week just to ride there. I stayed on the 2 lane roads and those logging truck drivers have no fear at all, even worse when they have unloaded and have that trailer spike thing piggy backed on top. One time I can almost feel the heat from the truck lamps on the back of my neck he was so close
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #2258
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunt7575 View Post

Welcome aboard. Are you speaking to aliens in this pic That is an amazing array of lighting, I'm glad you limited yourself to 100 watts

sanjoh screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 10:12 AM
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #2259
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 848
First Place in its class - could it have been the lights?

IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #2260
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
First Place in its class - could it have been the lights?
Congrats
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #2261
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Another satisfied customer (and his dog)

Old 04-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #2262
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,323
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #2263
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,300
Great lights

here's a few day shots of the lights .....i really put em to a test ....crashed and they took a big hit ....no problems ..wipe the gravel off and good to go .. i was stunned ..i cracked my fairing scratched the crap out of every thing but the lights held up ...few rock gouges and such but working perfect

lots of other riders commented on how bright they were

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #2264
StellerJay
n00b

do 30's need to be dimmed at night? ..also, lens covers??

my 30s just arrived with a dimmer switch so i can run them dimmed with the low beam at night, full blast on hi beam of course. i was wondering, before i begin wiring, if i need to even bother with the dimmer switch?? Are even the 30's bright enough at night that they would be aggravating/blinding on coming drivers if not dimmed (when on low beam)??

also, anyone no where i can get some lense covers that will fit on these housings? maybe some colored ones like they sell on trailtech??
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #2265
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerJay View Post
my 30s just arrived with a dimmer switch so i can run them dimmed with the low beam at night, full blast on hi beam of course. i was wondering, before i begin wiring, if i need to even bother with the dimmer switch?? Are even the 30's bright enough at night that they would be aggravating/blinding on coming drivers if not dimmed (when on low beam)??

also, anyone no where i can get some lense covers that will fit on these housings? maybe some colored ones like they sell on trailtech??
It will depend on how you aim them. While they focus the beam fairly well, they are bright at full power. I suggest you mount them, temporarily hook them up direct, aim them and see how they work for you. Once you have them aimed where you want them walk out in front of your bike a bit and see if they are to brigh tfor oncoming traffic. Or go for a ride and see if you get flashed.
I put the 30's with a dimmer on my aprilia scooter and have them aimed a bit into oncoming traffic for conspicuity, so I use the dimmer on low beam. They are plenty noticeable even when dimmed.
This is about 30-40% power.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote