Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #91
leoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Very interesting !!!!!!!!! and good job !!!!!!
leoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #92
WhatThaFrig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
One of the most amazing ride reports I have read!
1982 GL1100 Standard
1980 GS550
WhatThaFrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #93
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThaFrig View Post
One of the most amazing ride reports I have read!
Thank you.....

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #94
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,744
Wow. This is one of the most outstanding ride reports I've read. What an incredible job of sleuthing out the locations, mapping out roads, and creating the regression photographs. I got a pointer to this thread from the "Then and Now Images" in Pics, Pics, Pics. I'm so glad I did.

My grandpa was from Jasper. I've never been to Alabama. I hope I get to go someday.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #95
dkcambel
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I just recently discovered ADV. I've been riding for close to 40 years. And, grew up just north of you in Garden City. Back in the 70's, when I was a teen (And in Alabama they allowed MC Licenses at age 14 back then) I had a group of friends that all rode DP bikes. And, one friend had a WW2 era Jeep. We spent a LOT of time riding the Blount Springs / Bangor area.

I absolutely love your threads - they bring back a lot of memories. I'm a bit surprised at what it seems like you've missed though. Have you made it to Bangor Cave? Also, there was a place high on a mountain with no roads that had a small grave yard along with a decayed house with beautiful views. And, there was an old mill with a small waterfall. Both were on the right side of HWY 31 if you were headed away from Garden City. There was a really great abandoned rock quarry we used to all swim at - and do stupid cliff dives from (sadly one of my high school classmates didn't survive one dive - RIP Tony S.). Also, on top of the hill over Garden City there is an old abandoned water tower that's kinda cool to ride to.

My friends and I used to hang out with a bunch of old timers at the general store in Garden City (I think it was called Shaffers). We would drink cokes with peanuts while they drank god only knows what. They gave us great tips on places to go visit on our bikes or in the jeep. That was 30-35 years ago so I guess they're probably all gone now. I left the area in 1983 but still have several friends in the area.

Is the Top Hat still around? They had great BBQ.

I really envy your ability to ride the area. I miss it a lot. As well as being an immortal carefree teenager with absolutely no regard for trespassing laws and being willing to ride on active RR tracks.
dkcambel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #96
dkcambel
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Oh, and as you were heading toward Garden City on 31 there used to be a large old hotel with several cabins around it on the right side of the road. Is that still there?

Thank you so much for your posts and I'll be looking for more of them.
dkcambel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #97
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcambel View Post
I just recently discovered ADV. I've been riding for close to 40 years. And, grew up just north of you in Garden City. Back in the 70's, when I was a teen (And in Alabama they allowed MC Licenses at age 14 back then) I had a group of friends that all rode DP bikes. And, one friend had a WW2 era Jeep. We spent a LOT of time riding the Blount Springs / Bangor area.

I absolutely love your threads - they bring back a lot of memories. I'm a bit surprised at what it seems like you've missed though. Have you made it to Bangor Cave? Also, there was a place high on a mountain with no roads that had a small grave yard along with a decayed house with beautiful views. And, there was an old mill with a small waterfall. Both were on the right side of HWY 31 if you were headed away from Garden City. There was a really great abandoned rock quarry we used to all swim at - and do stupid cliff dives from (sadly one of my high school classmates didn't survive one dive - RIP Tony S.). Also, on top of the hill over Garden City there is an old abandoned water tower that's kinda cool to ride to.

My friends and I used to hang out with a bunch of old timers at the general store in Garden City (I think it was called Shaffers). We would drink cokes with peanuts while they drank god only knows what. They gave us great tips on places to go visit on our bikes or in the jeep. That was 30-35 years ago so I guess they're probably all gone now. I left the area in 1983 but still have several friends in the area.

Is the Top Hat still around? They had great BBQ.

I really envy your ability to ride the area. I miss it a lot. As well as being an immortal carefree teenager with absolutely no regard for trespassing laws and being willing to ride on active RR tracks.

Hello dkcambel & welcome to ADV.

A few of the items you mentioned are discussed in other Exploring Alabama ride reports.

I believe the old graveyard you mentioned can be found on pages 2 & 10 of the Exploring Alabama’s long lost cemeteries ride report. The link is below.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577490

I've been to Bangor Cave many times and frequent the RR tunnels. Blount Springs is a great place to live, ride & discover. Top Hat still makes great BBQ. The old mill is gone, and the old motel is all but a shell of what it once was. Thanks for the kind words. And again, welcome to ADV!

Thanks everyone for the all the responses and interest in the subject of history.

I'll keep looking around.

DeBandi

Old 06-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #98
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi View Post
Thanks everyone for the all the responses and interest in the subject of history.

I'll keep looking around.
Thank you very much Sir>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
This is one of the coolest things I have seen on ADV... And that is saying ALOT!!
Such a great job presenting this.... makes my head hurt!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #99
Gooner
DC 43

Oddometer: 116
Excellent lesson. Looking forward to the conclusion.
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #100
peter13
FJ cruiser

Oddometer: 338
that was just great.....
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #101
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Stay tuned & thanks for all the great comments.....

DeBandi

Old 12-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #102
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I'm an old history buff from way back, and this is one of the crazest post I have ever seen. I'm giving you 5 stars out of 5 stars on this report card. I'm going to try the same thing with my home town coal mine just west of me here in Alberta.

I love the picture over lapping idea, and I can't wait to see how it's done. Keep up the good work ADV Brother.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada.
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #103
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
I'm an old history buff from way back, and this is one of the crazest post I have ever seen. I'm giving you 5 stars out of 5 stars on this report card. I'm going to try the same thing with my home town coal mine just west of me here in Alberta.

I love the picture over lapping idea, and I can't wait to see how it's done. Keep up the good work ADV Brother.

From Jeathrow Bowdean in Western Canada.
Thank you...

DeBandi

Old 05-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #104
DeBandi OP
Exploring Alabama

[IMG][/IMG]

DeBandi

Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #105
zookster
Chupacabra

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Awesome find, Dave. Yours? Did you find it at the Springs or elsewhere?