Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #13111
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,876
Thanks for that info Scott, will get those bits checked out.

Do owners fit lower temperature sensors into their cooling systems like on some other bikes to cause the fan to turn on sooner or just leave it standard?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #13112
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,922
Many riders fit a manual fan switch so the fan can be switched on during slow 1st gear trail riding. It will cycle on and off by itself but it's nice not to have the temp get all the way up and then have to work to get it back down.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #13113
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 616
yes or you add a fan ( space allowing) activated through a manual switch ( which i did on the AT)
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #13114
ferretface
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder106 View Post
Dan,

When/If you're in the Central California area, my house/garage/tools are open for any service or repair work you want or have to perform.

You are also welcome to ship spares to me it you want to place cache items in a certain location.
Thanks Ladder, appreciate the kind offer, I'll give you a shout if I'm in your neck of the woods!
ferretface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #13115
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
You're the TA jedi master...

Your restorations are incredible. I've owned mine for around 10 years but would have owned one earlier had I not held out hope for an Africa Twin for so long. Love the Transalp and glad I found mine when I did. It had 3000 miles and was a total garage queen. I leave it up in coastal central Oregon with my buddy Baygecko, who has the same year. We ride the PCT, and coastal Rogue and Illinois river trails together. I've got 18k miles on it but hope to double that in it's lifetime. Love seeing your restoration work. Truly inspiring. Hope to see another 6 years of Mas335'ing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I just noticed that I am coming up on 6 years since I started riding Transalps, just curious about the rest of you, how long have you owned one?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #13116
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretface View Post
Had mine for a little over 3 years now and have gained a huge wealth of information from this thread.

I'll be taking it over to Canada next month to start a trip through the Americas over 12 months - some think it might be a crazy idea with a 24yr old bike.....

More info on my blog if anyone is interested: http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com/

Cheers
Dan
Dan -

We seem to be in the same boat - I have owned my 1989 TA for a few years, have gained enormous amounts of knowledge from this thread, and have been riding through the Americas for just about 12 months, looking forward to the next 12.

I don't think you are crazy at all. In fact, I don't think you could've picked a better bike for your overland trip! And I'm sure that everyone paying attention to this thread will agree. It looks like you've put a lot of work into getting her ready to go. Good luck with the final steps before your departure! Hope to rendezvous in South America a few months from now...

/mike

csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #13117
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Your restorations are incredible. I've owned mine for around 10 years but would have owned one earlier had I not held out hope for an Africa Twin for so long. Love the Transalp and glad I found mine when I did. It had 3000 miles and was a total garage queen. I leave it up in coastal central Oregon with my buddy Baygecko, who has the same year. We ride the PCT, and coastal Rogue and Illinois river trails together. I've got 18k miles on it but hope to double that in it's lifetime. Love seeing your restoration work. Truly inspiring. Hope to see another 6 years of Mas335'ing.
Thanks for the kind words. Maybe I don't tell the whole story by never showing the before and after images, I would hope no one thinks I just wash and wax? With that in mind here is a bike sold a few years ago in the before condition.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #13118
toslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Had mine for alittle over a year now and each time I ride it I like it more and more gonna retire this year and we're going to Alaska

toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #13119
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,348
Question about electrical power capacity of TA

Can anyone give me a quantitative answer about how much electricity my 89 TA can supply? Or can you tell me how it would compare, for example, to a modern VStrom 650?

My issue is that I have to use a CPAP machine to sleep at night. I've powered the CPAP from the TA while camping. Sometimes I was able to crank the bike over the next morning; sometimes I had to push-start it. At the end of my Canada trip last fall I had to buy a new battery.

There were other factors at work there -- I kept stopping to take photos, and turned off and restarted the motor each time. That may be the real issue; it's hard to say.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #13120
old2wheeler
Former nb

Oddometer: 720
My understanding is that the output is 310Watts and the bike uses 255Watts. Thus you have 55 "Spare" Watts. Shoganai uses a CPAP also, and rides a k1100 RS, but she is up on how to do it. I believe she carries a separate CPAP battery and charges it from the bikes alternator. BUT, I'm pretty sure the K bike has a greater output.

Hope this is some help... gotta go now, will try to find more info tomorrow,

Rod
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
old2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #13121
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
Had mine for alittle over a year now and each time I ride it I like it more and more gonna retire this year and we're going to Alaska

Worth noting this a cracking pic
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #13122
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by old2wheeler View Post
My understanding is that the output is 310Watts and the bike uses 255Watts. Thus you have 55 "Spare" Watts. Shoganai uses a CPAP also, and rides a k1100 RS, but she is up on how to do it. I believe she carries a separate CPAP battery and charges it from the bikes alternator. BUT, I'm pretty sure the K bike has a greater output.

Hope this is some help... gotta go now, will try to find more info tomorrow,

Rod
Excellent, this is just what I wanted. It also lets me know where I stand WRT using heated clothing.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #13123
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Rally Alp

Hello, here is my XL650 Rally Alp, hope you all enjoy, its had a completly new front end, ktm whitepower forks, boano rally fairing, subframe and lighting unit. Also a respray by me which means it looks good from 20 feet away

There is a whole bunch of piccys here of the build

wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #13124
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,918
Welcome to this page, Nice bike but your cars steering wheel is on the wrong side.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #13125
Ladder106
It's a short cut, really

Oddometer: 4,922
First bi-polar TA I've seen.

Welcome to the craziness.
Ladder106 is offline   Reply With Quote