Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
doesn't almost every golf cart in the world have the idle/stop feature... I know it's not as developed as Mazda's and honda's but still its very common and not new technology at all.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #47
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO View Post
doesn't almost every golf cart in the world have the idle/stop feature... I know it's not as developed as Mazda's and honda's but still its very common and not new technology at all.
I don't know about golf carts today. Thirty-five years ago, I was a kid working on a golf course...the course used Harley-Davidson carts, and yeah, the so-called "alternator" doubled as a starter. Step on the gas, and the thing would crank the engine - through a vee-belt a little thicker than a rubber band. Supposedly, charged through the same motor.

Those things spent a lot of time on battery chargers when not in use. Harley-Davidson at that time was part of AMF, and quality was something the admen were required to insert in copy. And nothing else.

Anyway...it was the same principle but very, very crude and unworkable for a transportation device a user depends on.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #48
cbolling OP
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,734
I really like the PCX. My main problem with it is that I just don't fit very well. From all accounts that I am aware of it is faster and gets better mileage than my Zuma 125.

But the Zuma has a long single seat that lets me stretch out my 34" inseam and basically sit in the back seat. The PCX has a stepped seat so I have to sit in one spot and that spot is just too damn close to the front for me to be comfortable. Not to mention, I look like a moron with my knees all bent like that.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #49
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Yes!

I'd seen it in very-small applications...the 50cc Ruckus.

I have seen it in very BIG applications...General Electric's diesel locomotives start that way.

Why isn't it universal? Since the alternator is mounted directly to the crankshaft, why not eliminate a few dozen parts and put the charger to double duty?
I would imagine a system like this requires a higher output battery, as there is no gear reduction involved, no?
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #50
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
I would imagine a system like this requires a higher output battery, as there is no gear reduction involved, no?
I'm a locomotive engineer, not an electrical engineer. But to the best of my knowledge, the GE Rail locomotive applications are direct-drive off the secondary alternator - which is connected by a shaft extension off the engine crankshaft. The battery on those things is actually a power-pack that provides 74 volts...a series of lead-acid batteries. Newer models may use different battery technologies; I haven't been on a new GE since 2007. (I work on a short line now, with ancient equipment).

The Harley-Davidson golf-cars, as I mentioned, used belt-driven alternator-starter motors, with a pulley stepdown that looked about 2:1 (when cranking; generator spun twice as fast as the engine). Battery was one twelve-volt car battery, IIRC.

I don't know how/what the Ruckus or PCX use or do.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #51
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Looks like the MSRP for the 2013 PCX 150 is set at $3449 which is only $50 more than the 2011 PCX 125!
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #52
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Yes!

I'd seen it in very-small applications...the 50cc Ruckus.

I have seen it in very BIG applications...General Electric's diesel locomotives start that way.

Why isn't it universal? Since the alternator is mounted directly to the crankshaft, why not eliminate a few dozen parts and put the charger to double duty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO View Post
Only "pedal-start" gas carts use the starter-generator to make the engine stop when the accelerator is released. They dont require heavier duty batteries, but if they aren't kept in a good state of tune, they suck.

They also make "key-start" units , which work more like a traditional car, and are far less convenient when used for golf or any stop and go type use.

In California, golf courses no longer can use gas engined carts, so here in the Golden State, gas is going theway of the 8-track.

(I'm a golf-cart salesman....seriously. Our shop also handles Kymco and Genuine scooters)
Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #53
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
as far as i have seen you can pretty easily de-limit a pcx 125 for more speed, lots of info on forums and vids on youtube
Old 05-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #54
haildamage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
as far as i have seen you can pretty easily de-limit a pcx 125 for more speed, lots of info on forums and vids on youtube
cool, please show me which are snake oil and which give real performance gains!

what is the easy way to de-limit or derestrict a PCX125?
haildamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #55
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
PCX ought to sell like crazy

Howdy,

125cc, 150cc..either way one can't lose with the PCX. I figure that the PCX 125 will be marked down, given the slight price difference vs. the PCX 150. YMMV. Only downside to the PCX is those skinny tires; enough to give me pause for ownership here in my adopted home state of Louisiana-home of America's worst roads.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote