User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #91
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
So I finally lost that tiny Streamlight I started this thread about! The thing about tiny things seems that they are easy to loose. Anyhow, I have been on the lookout for a birghter replacement for it ever since I lost it a couple months ago. I was doing an install yesterday and could have REALLY used that little light so got stoked to just go to Sportsmans and have a root round for a replacement. I found what I now feel is the perfect replacement for me. Made by 511, well SOLD under their moniker, it is called the Atac PLx. 69l, 2 AAA, and the perfect grip having grippy ribs down four sides of the round barrel. It has a really nice pocket clip that is neither too snug or too loose. It is almost exactly the same size as a tactical pen so is perfect for pamts pocket or shirt pocket. Nice bright Cree led. Surprisingly bright useable light, very white and useable in the sense it isn't overly bright shined right at something close, but bright enough outside at night to light up a trail or driveway or interior of a car very well.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #92
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
OK this thread cost me a few bucks a while ago and now I am back with a question. Can I just use Li ion batteries in place of AA or AAA? Can I stick Li ion batteries in my AA batterycharger? The battery junction website warns against it, but is that just CYA fine print that the lawyers made them include or should I take that seriously?

Thanks.
Pete take that warning seriously. I recommend li ions because they are rechargeable and more powerful than regular batteries but you do need a dedicated charger and your light needs to be specd for them. The lights I recommend all can use both types so no worries there, but just make sure you read the specs for your light our else you can have problems

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #93
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

I have gone solely to rechargeable in all my devices. They out power, and outlast all common batteries and of course, are re-usable! I have enough sets to power my flashlights (6) for a couple months without a recharge. Now I just need to find sets of 123 batts......
Old 04-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #94
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I have gone solely to rechargeable in all my devices. They out power, and outlast all common batteries and of course, are re-usable! I have enough sets to power my flashlights (6) for a couple months without a recharge. Now I just need to find sets of 123 batts......
http://www.all-battery.com/Combo_Ten...ies-39528.aspx
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #95
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Bitchin! Have you tried them?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #96
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Bitchin! Have you tried them?
I have them in my Surefire C3 that has a Cree LED conversion and in my Surefire shotgun fore end light. They work just fine.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #97
Bevelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
The Fenix LD-01 in stainless has been my EDC light for about two years now. Really bright with 10440's but battery life is too short with 'em. Still plenty bright with NIMH's . I wish the brightness levels were spread out more though. I like the size. You don't even know you have it on you until you need it. The threads have worn out within a year on every aluminum light I've had, but not this one. The stainless holds up much better in a pocket full of change and keys too.
Bevelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #98
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelhead View Post
The Fenix LD-01 in stainless has been my EDC light for about two years now. Really bright with 10440's but battery life is too short with 'em. Still plenty bright with NIMH's . I wish the brightness levels were spread out more though. I like the size. You don't even know you have it on you until you need it. The threads have worn out within a year on every aluminum light I've had, but not this one. The stainless holds up much better in a pocket full of change and keys too.
If you look at the start of this thread, the torch I posted up about is a lot like that. I loved it but it was so small, I lost it. The new torch is three times as bright but only has one setting so I may buy a new Fenix today to augment when on an install that uses 2 AA and has four settings and is 250l on turbo.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #99
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Well the new PLx went belly up Already!

After the few days I had it, the switch on the 511 Atak PLx went belly up. SOooo, I went back to Sportsmans and decided since i have just ordered a set of 8 rechargeable CR123s (thanks TT PAete!) I decided to get something WAY brighter that had variable power. For an added 35 clams I bought a Fenix PD32. It is bright at 300l on turbo but goes to 4 settings plus strobe, SOS and lasts a long time on the lower settings. Setting number 2 is brighter than the Atak Plx, and it is a better pattern. It even fits in the pocket a little better since it is half as long as the Plx. It is a little fatter round but that seems to make it stay in the pocket better as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #100
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Here's my ultimate flashlight rig running 14500s and AA/AAA Eneloops, with ultra-portable solar/12v/wall charging options. My favorite is the Quark X run with a 1xAA tube and 14500... covers from 300 lumens to 300 hours in a tiny, EDC light.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #101
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340

I keep a little 13l Fenix EO1 on my keychain for small stuff like poking around bikes or under the desk or whatever. I keep a 300l Ultrafire in my backpack already, and with a light that bright I was getting annoyed using it in small spaces or tents. The EO1 has been a great daily-use light, while the Ultrafire just gets used if the power goes out, walking in the woods at night, etc.

I ordered that NiteIze kit for the AA Mini Mag that lives in my toolbox, hopefully it's a nice as they say. I like using the Maglite, and it was a gift so I could never get rid of it, but it's just so anemic out of the box.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #102
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

I wish the PLx had worked out but LOVE the new PD20. It is better light and more light than the PLx had, and does an even lower setting on setting one, and a LITTLE more light on setting 2 and is bright enough for night and woods use on high or turbo.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #103
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,881

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...-SS-LED/Detail

After reading some posts in Candlepower Forums, I bought a couple of the stainless steel LED penlights shown above. Three brightness levels, made entirely out of stainless, and excellent fit and finish. With batteries, a bit on the heavy side, but this will serve well as an EDC flashlight that can be pressed into service as a kubotan.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #104
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
This is an older thread....so wanted to see if anyone has suggestions. Looking for a nice small BRIGHT...CENTER OF THE SUN BRIGHT...flashlight for the wife to carry when she goes to work. She has her CCW but can't carry at work...she works at an airport.

You know the type of clothing a business female wears, suits, skirt suits few if any pockets.

I was thinking something with a wrist strap, and small but not real small.

I would like to keep it under $200
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #105
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
This is an older thread....so wanted to see if anyone has suggestions. Looking for a nice small BRIGHT...CENTER OF THE SUN BRIGHT...flashlight for the wife to carry when she goes to work. She has her CCW but can't carry at work...she works at an airport.

You know the type of clothing a business female wears, suits, skirt suits few if any pockets.

I was thinking something with a wrist strap, and small but not real small.

I would like to keep it under $200
Can you define small? Its a very subjective thing! I think of small flashlight and think of the Fenix PD20

I have four Fenix lights and they rock.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/fenix...-with-clip-238

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: