User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
flyde
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Talking Once apon a time...

Once upon a time i had a rusted KLR with shot rear suspension in Panama.
Martin shipped a rear shock he found in the depths of his garage. It allowed me to continue my mission north bound.

Then, only an hour away from San Fran, my head gasket split and the bike was again at wits end. With-out sweat Brenton and John (Martin was riding in Alaska) picked my sorry ass up and helped me re-prepare and 're-hydrate' for the remainder of the journey.

I owe these boys and their San Fransisco base a lot! And hope beyond hope that i can somehow return the favor either in Cochabamba, Bolivia or NSW, Australia when the opportunity arises.

THE GARAGE

flyde screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 05:19 PM
flyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
auldublinr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Hey all,this offer of help to any and all embodies the spirit of Adv.and of course pics pics pics with above references this hombre seems to be the man to talk to if planning a trip starting in this region.As previously stated Euros have no idea how reasonable bikes and gear are here.Just my 2c.
Disclaimer Never met saw talked drank with this guy.
Hopefully some day I'll change that!!!
auldublinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #18
sirruph
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Martin, PM sent
thanks
sirruph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Whacker, for my next bike, I may just have you find me one...it'd be worth the fly and ride.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #20
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Blatant Spam

This is a business disguised as something else. It should be bumped to vendors.

I could see a fellow helping a friend, but a steady turnover of used motorcycles with the OP making markets as a principal is just not what he claims. He is not credible.

The only reason he wants the thread here is to promote his services to people planning trips to the US.

Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
I just found this thread... That explains your email yesterday.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #22
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

I could see a fellow helping a friend, but a steady turnover of used motorcycles with the OP making markets as a principal is just not what he claims. He is not credible.

The only reason he wants the thread here is to promote his services to people planning trips to the US.

I disagree. In any case, Wheatwacker already has a thread in Vendors for this. This thread seems to mostly contain testimonials ... and ALL are good.
He's clearly stated in the first post that this is a NON PROFIT operation. I doubt he's getting rich doing this.

Posting it here lets lots more "real" travelers know that such a service even exists. How many Euros (or anyone) would ever go to Vendors unless directed there? Not many. Sure, you can split hairs and report Martin to the Police ... but I see no abuse here.

This sort of helpful topic is what ADV should be about. Not Jo Momma, which seems to be the most popular forum on the site.

As far as Spam goes ... I see several Ride Reports ("the Crown Jewel" of ADV rider according to Baldy) where a few ride reports are nothing but thinly disguised promos for Tour companies, OEM's or other sponsors. Some have got away with this for YEARS ... So clearly there is bias on policing and wiggle room on the rules.

If Martin was schilling for Tourtech or BMW or pushing Dual Sport Baja Tours ... then I'd be the first to agree ... move to Vendors. But that is not the case .... and all the positive feedback from travelers proves this.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,614
+1

I can vouch for Martin's trust and generosity when it comes to fellow bikers. He helped me out in a pinch when the price of a west coast rental was not in the cards. The world would be a much better place with more people of Martin's character. Cheers.
Ron
Honda Pacific Coast
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #24
Spuds
On my way home

Oddometer: 515
Riders helping riders, thats what we do here.

It's easy for me to believe that Wheatwhacker wants to help others. If I were needing a bike in a hurry this is a guy that I would want choosing a bike for me. For what I've seen his knowledge of bikes is top notch.

I met Wheatwhacker only once, the time he accepted the offer that I extend to all ADV members here; to help riders traveling south into Mexico.

I don't have much to offer but I am fortunate to have a home and garage in a residential neighborhood about 15 miles from the Mexico border.

I had never met or spoken to Wheatwhacker before he sent me a PM asking me to watch his truck and gear as he and another rider did a week long tour into Baja. We both took a chance, and I'm glad that I was able to help him out as I met a traveler, rider, and all around good person.

There is a sense of community here, people just wanting to do the right thing, Wheatwhacker understands this. Others don't.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:

I knew it, someone figured it out. I do get paid. It's called karma my friend.

All I can say my friend, if your ever on the west coast in need of a wrench, a part or a place to stay your more than welcome to call me.
Maybe if someone showed you that real people existed out there willing to lend a hand your attitude would change.
It seems to be an American thing, that everybody thinks that everybody else is out for profit.
I have sheltered travelers, many more than have responded here, rescued broken down bikes, sent parts for free to people and lent my tools and garage to countless people here on ADV and couchsurfers. My payment has been fantastic karma whilst on my own trips.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #26
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Well said Martin - I don't know you, but it is the same trying to explain couchsurfing to people, some "get it", while others - who knows how they think!
I saw a sign above a shop in Singapore last year which said "Nothing is quite as precious as Trust" which seems like an appt expression for your situation.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
Ron_Ces
Aging Hacker

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1969 View Post
"Nothing is quite as precious as Trust" which seems like an appt expression for your situation.
Well said...
Ron
Honda Pacific Coast
Ron_Ces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #28
Daandus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:

This is so sad.... what a profit can someone make if he drives, after work, an hour to check out a bike, sends loads of emails, pics etc, check out a bike and pick it up, store it for a while etc.?
I think someone may ask a 'fee' to pay simply for the costs he makes.....

And all the effort and bike-love he invests is for FREE! Sad to read some people cannot understand this behaviour.

Matin: don't let this wreck your enthusiasm; you are a super honest guy and the travel-community should be bloody happy with guys like you!

This is a guy I would trust my full travel-budget to if needed, and that cannot be said about a lot of people!
Daandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #29
Darrylo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Wheatcracker

Hi Wheatwacker,

Please advise what is the best way to contact you regarding getting a bike in the USA.

Thanks and all the best.

Darrylo screwed with this post 06-23-2012 at 06:05 AM Reason: spelling
Darrylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #30
Eagle i
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Help with Registration Please.

Hi All.

I'm from Ireland and need help with registering a bike in the USA. The bike is currently in Florida but I don't mind
moving it to another state if it's easier there.Eventually routing to the west coast so if anybody can help in Florida, New Mexico, Arizona, or California. Anybody willing to provide address etc in order to satisfy local DMV much appreciated.
Eagle i is offline   Reply With Quote