Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #31
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Not cited yet, but I hear LEO's don't like it when an ADV Rider stands up on the footpegs to stretch while moving.........???? Let's see a H-D Rider do THAT !!!!!!!!
I have been pulled over just for that reason. I didn't get a ticket, the cop asked for my license, insurance, and registration. Made sure it was all current then told me to keep my butt on the seat and let me go. Lame if you ask me.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #32
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Cops on KZ1000s get REALLY pissed if you're riding a 49cc moped and they can't catch you until you pull into a store's parking lot. The guy was totally pissed off at me ("God damn it I almost fucking killed myself trying to catch you." were his exact words) and it was very hard for me to pretend to be serious and keep a straight face while he wrote me up for not having protective eyewear. (No helmet law at the time.)
This sounds entertaining, could you please flesh out the story.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #33
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Not cited yet, but I hear LEO's don't like it when an ADV Rider stands up on the footpegs to stretch while moving.........???? Let's see a H-D Rider do THAT !!!!!!!!
I do it all the time, on both bikes... guess you haven't ridden a Harley.
Never been ticketed for that on any bike, not even looked at sideways. Then again, they don't ticket people driving with a foot hanging out the window either.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #34
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
I was exercising (exorcising?) the Buell out on Hwy 1, moving along at well over the ton when a CHiPper rolls over the rise going the other way- I'm the only other vehicle going down the road. he hangs a u-turn and hits his lights, but I'm already pulling over for him. It was pretty obvious he was coming for me, and I figured I'd just make it easy for him.

"Know why I pulled you over?"

"I was hauling ass "

He grinned and said he had me at 110 plus, but he really noticed my head light was out.

By the time he had written the fix-it ticket for the light, I had replaced the fuse. I rode from there to the next CHP office and had them sign off and take my money. 1/2 hour and $15.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #35
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
If you're paying off a speeding fine $50/month, and you forget the last payment... a couple weeks later they will cancel your license without bothering to call you (why do they want my phone number, if they're not going to use it?!). And you will be pulled over when they scan your plate. And have to pay $290 to pick up the bike from the towing mob a few days later...

Oh yeah, and I've got a court date in a few weeks, where my actual fine will be determined.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #36
milkfiend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
I was exercising (exorcising?) the Buell out on Hwy 1, moving along at well over the ton when a CHiPper rolls over the rise going the other way- I'm the only other vehicle going down the road. he hangs a u-turn and hits his lights, but I'm already pulling over for him. It was pretty obvious he was coming for me, and I figured I'd just make it easy for him.

"I was hauling ass "

He grinned and said he had me at 110 plus, but he really noticed my head light was out.

By the time he had written the fix-it ticket for the light, I had replaced the fuse. I rode from there to the next CHP office and had them sign off and take my money. 1/2 hour and $15.
Lucky! How do you guys get the fun cops?
milkfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelish View Post
If you had told him the truth you probably would have just gotten a warning(or maybe a city code violation, no points,just a fine)
He was running my tag as he walked across the parking lot and his demeanor indicated dickery! And you never tell the cops the truth! My mistake was 1 stopping, 2 talking to him! What do you think this is Liar Liar?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #38
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 446
you just reminded me

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
If you're paying off a speeding fine $50/month, and you forget the last payment... a couple weeks later they will cancel your license without bothering to call you (why do they want my phone number, if they're not going to use it?!). And you will be pulled over when they scan your plate. And have to pay $290 to pick up the bike from the towing mob a few days later...

Oh yeah, and I've got a court date in a few weeks, where my actual fine will be determined.

I paid a ticket by check but my wife screwed up and had to put a stop on one that she lost. They got really upset.
DRGNHTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #39
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post

"I was hauling ass "

I've had friends get out of similar (100+) on hwy 1 in west marin. They appreciate that you stopped, and realize you weren't really being that hazardous. Many people will run, and park the bike off the road somewhere.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #40
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
This sounds entertaining, could you please flesh out the story.
I was in college at the Univ of Wash at the time. I decided I had to get something in the ten minutes between classes so I had to ride off campus to the bookstore and get back on campus in very little time and I was in full boogy mode.

One thing you learn riding a scoot (that wouldn't go more than 28mph if you dropped it out of an airplane) is that you never want to slow down because it takes forever to get any speed back. So I pretty much rode around with the throttle pinned most of the time and made my way through traffic as best I could without lanesplitting 'cuz I'd get a ticket for that.

Anyhow, it was raining so the streets were a little slick but that didn't slow me down at all. I scooted a left through a yellow and ripped (as much as I could on a scoot) down the hill, took a right and then turned into the bookstore parking lot. After I got it on the center stand I looked back up the hill and I saw the cop with his blues going about a block away. I thought to myself he can't be coming after me but waited next to my scoot just in case 'cuz if he was after me I didn't want to it look like I was fleeing. Sure enough he comes down the hill, makes a right, turns into the parking lot and comes zooming over to me, putting his bike across the back of the parking spot - so I couldn't get back on my scoot and flee I guess.

I had no idea how long he'd been trying to catch me but he sure wasn't happy about it. I think he was embarrassed a little too that it took him so long to catch a scoot.

duck screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 05:43 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 AM   #41
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Another conversation went like this:

"Man, I've talked to you about this shit before. You just CAN'T be putting your headlight in people's mirrors and passing if they even flinch toward the side of the road."

"(sheepishly) I know. You gonna write me up?"

"No. But I am gonna stand here with your paperwork in my hand so these nice people THINK I'm doing my job while all of them pass us back. Then you're going to ride home SLOWLY, with me on your six till you turn off onto your road."

"And SLOW DOWN, fucker!" (said with a grin like this )

This was the third or fourth conversation with Officer Friendly without a ticket. I went 13 times in a row of getting pulled over on the Buell and getting out of a ticket (mostly different cops) before a Sheriff got me for riding on the wrong side of the road.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #42
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,193
I have gotten a lot of tickets, mostly in the past.
The highlights are:
I was enjoying the day on my 1986 883 sportster running down rt130, 3 lanes, heavy traffic, just making the lights, changing lanes a lot to maintain speed through the rolling road blocks, doing maybe 10 mph over tops, and I DID make it through all the lights on the yellow. I went about 10 miles doing this, then pulled off onto a slower street when a cop pulls me over. He was livid, he was chasing me for 10 miles he said, wants to inpound the bike, lock me up, etc. Another friendly officer arrives and I tell him I had no idea the other guy was trying to pull me over, otherwise I could have gone lots faster and not pulled off onto a slow street and went the speed limit.
I got a ticket for running a light, which I did not.

A few years ago, I was out on my newly restored 1969 Triumph, and had sent the speedo off for rebuilding, so I was not sure how fast I was going, but an unmarked police truck was behind me when a woman in a big suv pulled out right in front of me.
Rather then try hard braking, I went around, I tend to do that to let people know they just cut me off.
Got a ticket for going over the line in a no passing zone. He said, yes, I saw she pulled out in front of you, but you should have TRIED to stop.
I asked if I crashed into her, I would just get a ticket for littering from the busted parts off my bike in the road?

I pled that one down to a not wearing seat belt ticket, no points and they get to keep all the $400.00.
Another ticket I got down to talking on a cell phone (on a motorcycle!).
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #43
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post

I pled that one down to a not wearing seat belt ticket,
On a motorcycle?

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #44
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Traffic jam on the interstate on a summer afternoon. Nobody was moving at all. Hot as hell. Exit about 1/4 mile ahead, so I putt-putt up the shoulder in 1st gear to get out of the mess. Johnny Law races up on my ass with lights flashing and sirens wailing. Young dude dressed like he was just at the gym walks up and chews my ass for riding on the shoulder. I'm only going 10mph, I said, just trying to get to the exit. I don't care! The shoulder is not a travel lane. You have to sit out here in the sun just like me and everybody else. (Never mind that nobody else is sitting out in the sun, they are all sitting in the air conditioning.) Yes sir. I'm sorry sir.

That is just stupid. I guess discretion is a lost art. But I didn't get a ticket, just a lecture.

I would do it again and have, sometimes to get to the shade of an overpass. I just got unlucky that time. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #45
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Standing on the pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRGNHTR View Post
My favorite was a cop trying for a drug bust. I was just out of the service hanging with a long haired friend of mine. He couldn't find any drugs but when I pulled out my license for him he saw the temporary one in my wallet. I was written for having multiple dmv id's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Traffic jam on the interstate on a summer afternoon. Nobody was moving at all. Hot as hell. Exit about 1/4 mile ahead, so I putt-putt up the shoulder in 1st gear to get out of the mess. Johnny Law races up on my ass with lights flashing and sirens wailing. Young dude dressed like he was just at the gym walks up and chews my ass for riding on the shoulder. I'm only going 10mph, I said, just trying to get to the exit. I don't care! The shoulder is not a travel lane. You have to sit out here in the sun just like me and everybody else. (Never mind that nobody else is sitting out in the sun, they are all sitting in the air conditioning.) Yes sir. I'm sorry sir.

That is just stupid. I guess discretion is a lost art. But I didn't get a ticket, just a lecture.

I would do it again and have, sometimes to get to the shade of an overpass. I just got unlucky that time. -al
Ive been a Police Officer since 1976. I have never written a ticket or even considered writing one for that. I wouldnt even know what to charge. Thats certainly not anything t get a citation for in NC.

Funniest time I ever got pulled over was in Canada on the way to Alaska. I had just passed a large group of motorhomes when I went past a RCMP Officer working radar. I just pulled over as I knew I was humming along. We tallked for a bit and the motorhomes honked as they passed. He then let me go, told me not to speed in his town and that he was the last Officer between there and the Alaska bourder. Great time passing the road hogs again.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote