Loud pipes lose land.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #47
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hot Roding your motor is a huge waste of money for the trip you plan, IMO. I feel most experienced travelers will back this up. Power is NOT going to be your problem, it's not what you need. Leave it stock, work on getting Max MPG, best comfort, and total reliability. Make the bike crash proof and work out how you plan to carry stuff. These are what is important ... and don't forget to bring twice the money you think you need!
I agree. If you're taking a small displacement bike, then you should leave power home.

Once you're on the road, power isn't what you spend most time thinking about (except for when you want to pass a chicken bus, or a truck, on a quick up-hill and you're already at 10,000 feet). What I obsessed about was staying warm and comfortable. For my bike, that meant spending about a week working on my seat, before realizing that the real answer was to improve the shocks. And the wind- in the end, I went with an aeroflow windscreen. The buffeting from the stock screen was horrible. And the lights. The stock light was about half of what I needed. And the gps. I hard wired my 60csx.

What's really, really important, though, is the ability to tell stories and take photos. I like my nikon d40 but camera choices are very personal.

As for finding somebody at the border who will change rims with you... good luck.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote